Septic trucks emptying in farm fields | GTAMotorcycle.com

Septic trucks emptying in farm fields

DECIMIS

Spring, summer and fall, I have been observing a septic company spreading loads of (presumed) human **** and piss all over a farmers field, as fertilizer.

I've searched a bit but am having troubles finding legislation about this.

Does anyone know the legality of such practice, or where I can find this info?

Thanks for your time and efforts, I do truly appreciate it. I have a lot of respect for the general knowledge and resourcefulness of the GTAM community, hence me inquiring here first.

Farmers routinely spread poop over their fields as fertilizer. Why would human poop be any different than cow or pig poop?

Those farm animals eat vegetables, and the manure sits for years, killing off any parasites that were passed through waste.

Human waste pulled out of an outhouse and dumped on a field contains many toxins, and passes parasites along. I thought this was a huge problem in third world countries.

I admit I don't know what I'm talking about - hence me seeking help.

Wikipedia:

The use of unprocessed human feces as fertilizer is a risky practice as it may contain disease-causing pathogens. Nevertheless, in some developing nations it is still widespread. Common parasitic worm infections, such as ascariasis, in these countries are linked to night soil use in agriculture, because the helminth eggs are in feces and can thus be transmitted from one infected person to another person (fecal-oral transmission of disease).

These risks are reduced by proper fecal sludge management, e.g. via composting. The safe reduction of human excreta into compost is possible. Some municipalities create compost from the sewage sludge, but then recommend that it only be used on flower beds, not vegetable gardens. Some claims have been made that this is dangerous or inappropriate without the expensive removal of heavy metals.

I had found that info about biosolids, but that is processed before use. It's not septic trucks emptying their loads directly onto a field.

It may be legit. But I've never seen a septic truck dumping before. And the field they're using is extremely remote and out of view. I go hiking where I shouldn't, I admit. But that's how I see this occurring.

Seems that this is generally not allowed. Source: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/030267#s8p2

Maybe you should take it up with the MoA?

Aye, thanks Kestrel. I have a lot of respect for farmers and do not want to cause anyone undue grief or stress. I will be contacting the MoA tomorrow to let them know my observations and concerns. I'll be very respectful about it.

Thanks again all, I knew you'd point me in the right direction. Certainly helped me out. *hugs* and have a nice evening :)

I work in wastewater treatment. Land application is allowed under very strict guidelines.

They septic company owner or acting client should have applied and received a permit for septage land application (Certificate of Approval) through MOE. It is a very lengthy process where many variables are taken into account such as area, slope, water table depth etc. I hope they have one or they are in deep feces.
Keep us informed on the outcome.

The MoE has the final say in what gets dumped where and when. For example some fields may have unacceptable run offs when the ground is frozen. Run off into lakes can fertilize them as well causing algae blooms etc.

To the farmers the stuff from city treatment plants is free fertilizer so they like it but the people living nearby aren't aren't so happy. It would be a different matter if the stuff was from portable toilets or private septic waste.

If and when I feel like typing more I will regale the forum with MoE governmental idiocy.

Ugh, my parents went through this about 15 years ago. They complained about the quantity of biosolids being dumped nearby (on farmland) and were told that the appropriate approvals were in place. I don't remember the exact details, but it was along the lines of the permit allowed 3" of product over the field and more than 5' was deposited. An inspection was done, as far as I know, no fine was ever issued (in fact the trucks continued coming for months).

The problem is the source of most (all?) biosolids is government so to save money on disposal they don't mind looking the other way.

I know that where i live (Mono) the town council meetings/minutes are posted online and farmers need to apply for the permits. It is under 'Schedule A'
Ministry of the Environment re notice of application of NASM
Notice of Application of Category 2 or Category 3 NASM
If you search for Biosolid in this PDF- you'll find what you need to be looking for....Hope this helps.
https://mono.civicweb.net/document/...5.pdf?handle=5E0A197754364D67A698C08133EABD58

Last edited:
Morning and thanks for the continued input and comments.

Have sent the information to both the Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Environment. (company involved, dates/times, GPS coordinates of field)

The CBC article linked by FLSTC is quite... disturbing, but enforces my concerns about what I've been observing:

Ontario's Ministry of the Environment says almost all of the sewage and septic companies inspected over the past few weeks are violating their licences, some by illegally dumping raw human waste on farm fields.

The Ministry of Environment does issue permits for this sort of dumping, but many companies just get permission from the farmer and dump without a permit.

Last week the province announced that within five years it wants to end the spreading of raw sewage on farm fields.

Will post updates if I can.

Last edited:
You answered your own question. You can't dump raw sewage into agriculture & not expect to get sick. It has to be processed or composted.

That can cause huge health concerns because all the virus & parasites are still active. This would actually bother me

You answered your own question. You can't dump raw sewage into agriculture & not expect to get sick. It has to be processed or composted.

That can cause huge health concerns because all the virus & parasites are still active. This would actually bother me

but, but, but....it organic

Hardly seems fair septic comes by the truck load but antiseptic come in small individual containers.

Back
Top Bottom