Buying a brand new motorcycle & want to negotiate the price | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a brand new motorcycle & want to negotiate the price

Are bikes not fully assembled and shipped to the dealer that way? I don't understand why the manufacturer would take it apart after it leaves the assembly line and have the dealer reassemble the unit when it arrives.

Things that protrude too far into nothingness (IE, making the crate bigger than might otherwise be necessary, air costs just as much as actual weight to ship) may be removed - mirrors, overly high windshields/fairings, handlebars. Based on what I've seen anyways...

Just getting the bike unpacked and safely out of the shipping crate can be a 20-30 minute experience alone, having seen it done.

After getting it out and bolting anything back on that was removed, the inspection should catch anything damaged in shipping. Most people think that shipping is a gentle process - box is loaded onto truck at the shipper and it proceeds directly to the dealer. Reality is that it may go through many transfers and different trucks along with crossdock handling between A and B. Forklift damage, shifting freight damage, just plain old bouncing around in the trailer...all can potentially cause issues.

@PrivatePilot forklift drivers never damage anything; we always blame the truck drivers ?
@Face great tactic with the M2 clause ?
OP -- one thing that I know that salespeople love to do is ask " how much do you want to spend monthly?". Don't get caught up in that ish. Do your numbers beforehand and just negotiate final all in OTD price.
@LoneRonin that's a sweet bike Congrats! I'll give you $100 for your 300 ?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

OP -- one thing that I know that salespeople love to do is ask " how much do you want to spend monthly?". Don't get caught up in that ish. Do your numbers beforehand and just negotiate final all in OTD price.

Oh yeah for sure! I'm negotiating OTD/OTR price all in. :)

@joebass , when I was buying a Jeep a couple months ago all the saleslady could focus on was the monthly payment, I'd explained since they were offering 'zero' interest , id finance it with them, but I could care less if the monthly was 5 or 700. all I needed to know was eventual full price, it was like pulling teeth.

@joebass , when I was buying a Jeep a couple months ago all the saleslady could focus on was the monthly payment, I'd explained since they were offering 'zero' interest , id finance it with them, but I could care less if the monthly was 5 or 700. all I needed to know was eventual full price, it was like pulling teeth.
Been there but it was with options on my wife's new car. Sunroof was only $x.xx more per month, 18' rims was only another $x.xx per month, etc. I had to explain several times we wanted the actual total cost of this ****, not how much it was per month over 6 years (0% deal too)

If a good chuck of the population didn't think in per month terms on everything sales reps wouldn't approach it that way

Best is to always negotiate the 'if I pay cash' price...then bring up a trade-in then financing if either apply.

Counterintuitively, make the first offer. Not in numbers rounded to large denominations like $1000. The first offer will be the anchor point. You want to set that. Using smaller denominations like $50-$100 subliminally suggests the negotiating will be in smaller increments.

Best is to always negotiate the 'if I pay cash' price...then bring up a trade-in then financing if either apply.

I do mostly wholesale but from time to time will do a bit of retail. I will sell a car at a lower selling price if someone is financing instead of cash because the bank pays me on the deal. Again with a trade I might look at the deal as I can sell my car and bring in new inventory at the same time and make a little with the trade, that is if the trade is something decent and the customer is realistic about what they want for it. If the trade is old junk or you want too much for it then yeah probably best to not mention it at first.

Back
Top Bottom