New Triumph Bobber | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Triumph Bobber

Matt Rain

Site Supporter
Same 1200cc P-twin as in the Bonneville/Thruxton. The one with ape hangers is making me weak in the knees.

Pirates everywhere shaking their beanie helmets.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-triumph-bonneville-bobber-motorcycle-first-look/?src=SOC&dom=fb

cw1016-2017-triumph-bonneville-bobber-first-look-image-02.jpg

No custom headache:thumbup:

Like buying a Costco pumpkin pie for your aunt's potluck Thanksgiving dinner. But with extra British flair.

Southern fried, cornfed, pump kin party bike. So sorry:(

Same 1200cc P-twin as in the Bonneville/Thruxton. The one with ape hangers is making me weak in the knees.

I'm with you, brother! All the style you want from a bobber without the headache of trying to build it, get it certified and find an insurance company willing to insure a bike that's had it's frame modified! I really dig the new Bonneville T120 and now I like these too! Good thing I'm broke already or else the Wife would be sending me to the dog house for sure!

Love the styling. Prefer the low bars. I'm also a fan of upright twins. I'm not a fan of liquid cooling on motorcycles. I would have to ride one to see how the suspension behaves, but at a glance I suspect quite spine punishing. 1200cc? To compete against the Sportster 1200 I suppose, and all the millennial hipsters who have chosen it as the new vogue. I would like to see a return to the 650 Bonneville in a bobber for fuel mileage sake.

I would like to see a return to the 650 Bonneville in a bobber for fuel mileage sake.

A much smaller entry-level Bonneville would totally make sense at this point.

I'm not a millenial, I'm Gen Y. Late 1978, thank you very much.

Damn, these new Triumph "vintage" bikes are on point.

A much smaller entry-level Bonneville would totally make sense at this point.

I'm not a millenial, I'm Gen Y. Late 1978, thank you very much.

I was reading last night the Edward Turner story, he designed the original 650 engine , was CEO of Triumph and was on record as not liking the Bonneville.
Fast forward 50 yrs, Triumph builds a bobber that looks really correct, has a cafe (thruxton) on market, an effective ADV bike, a well styled scrambler and very cool street bikes. They may have the best marketing and styling team in the business today. The japanese better pay attention again.

Both beautiful bikes, and I'd love to have either, but I can only afford to have one bike in my garage, and unfortunately neither would be my one and only due to the limitations of the design.

I'm not a fan of liquid cooling on motorcycles..

Out of curiousity...why? Having it is almost universally a positive thing from both an operational (ie not overheating while stuck in traffic on a hot summer day) as well as longevity (engines not running at or near overheating on a hot summer day are subject to less wear and tear as a direct result) standpoint.

Out of curiousity...why? Having it is almost universally a positive thing from both an operational (ie not overheating while stuck in traffic on a hot summer day) as well as longevity (engines not running at or near overheating on a hot summer day are subject to less wear and tear as a direct result) standpoint.

I have owned a few air-cooled motorcycles. I have never had a problem with overheating. I understand some people's idea of an overheating Harley is being baked by the rear cylinder while stopped in traffic, and the new Milwaukee 8 addresses that; however, I personally have never been bothered by it. Apparently the police have not either because they always leave their Harleys idling in the 30+ summer heat. Saw a Peel cop doing that this summer while he directed traffic. Despite the wives tales and other lore, for any stock AC bike summer heat is not a problem. I also rode my EVO across the Mojave desert this year at 105F with absolutely no problems.

So, bearing that in mind I'll tell you why I don't like water cooling. Firstly, I like my bikes simple and easy to work on. Water cooling ads unnecessary complication to a bike. You get the same problems as you do with a car. Head gaskets leaking into the cylinders when the bike gets too hot, and after the winter if it's sitting in the cold. Corrosion, leaks, pump failures and the unwanted PITA of flushing and maintaining the system. The advantage is that you gain slightly better efficiency with tighter cylinder/piston tolerances (because of less expansion and contraction) hence less blow-by and more power. Good for SS riders, but not for anyone else.

With modern engine oils you will never have a problem with AC. Aluminum dissipates heat much better than the old iron head engines, so really overheating in air cooled engines was beat in the 1980s. Simply put the advantages of liquid cooling don't apply to me, or most riders for that matter, though they don't understand it. You might as well save yourself the trouble. As an added plus AC engines look better too.

Except that every AC nut here is forgetting that an AC bike will never pass modern emissions requirements because it is an antiquated out-of-date design. The engine is so susceptible to heat it has to be built loose and loose is no friend of emissions. Nor is it helpful to reliability if you want performance.

Frankly any even of the more recent AC bikes when they were still being made don't overheat because they were built low compression and low hp. Fine for people who don't mind antiquated design and performance. Now there's better and newer designs. Time and progress marches on.

Last edited:
Except that every AC nut here is forgetting......

Frankly any modern AC bikes don't overheat in today's world because they were built low compression and low hp. Fine for you people who don't mind archaic design and performance. Let's call a spade a spade.

If water and oil mixed I'd use water in my oiled cooled bike but, alas, 'tis not to be. No question a/c engines are further up the evolution scale and for reasons so eloquently laid out but the downside is some people don't need/want a rolling high tech boiler room. If one hundred years from now somebody coughs up a lung because I'm riding a simple air cooled bike today I'll take solace that I don't have a lawn, front or back, to maintain. It's all about priorities.

Last edited:
My 2005 Ducati monster is elegant in its aircooled design, I'd not call it archaic and the performance is bellisimo!

my lawnmower on the otherhand is an evironmental disaster, yet I never see liquid cooled push mowers, however mine does have a cup holder, I'm liquid cooled.

have both front and back lawn, such a bad man.

You could always dig up part of a quarry for concrete landscape.

Back
Top Bottom