New car shopping | GTAMotorcycle.com

New car shopping

Dave L

My 2005 Saab 92x is rapidly approaching 360,000km so I think I am due soon. I am not too picky :rolleyes: but the new car must be a manual transmission, wagon/hatchback, NOT FWD. So far I am coming up with only the Impreza which I am perfectly fine with but wonder what others are out there.

BMW - wagon no option for manual
Audi - A3 FWD Lol WTF?!?!?!
Madza - Fwd

Slim pickings. What's the reason for "not FWD"? Do you want all wheel drive for getting through snow, in which case an awd that is based on a front drive will do, or do you want the alleged handling characteristics, in which case it's pretty much BMW 3-5-7 or Mercedes C-E-S? Can it be a crossover as opposed to a wagon?

My 2005 Saab 92x is rapidly approaching 360,000km so I think I am due soon. I am not too picky :rolleyes: but the new car must be a manual transmission, wagon/hatchback, NOT FWD. So far I am coming up with only the Impreza which I am perfectly fine with but wonder what others are out there.

BMW - wagon no option for manual
Audi - A3 FWD Lol WTF?!?!?!
Madza - Fwd

2008-2012 Impreza are solid cars. If you can find the limited pkg (sunroof, leather, heated seats) non turbo...you are laughing.
Awesome cars in the snow, very solid and comfy to drive.
Also, it only takes about 30-45 minutes to change the stereo and pop in a nicer modern unit with bluetooth etc... (check youtube for video)
Car is super easy to change the stereo (buy the plug and play wire harness for it (Cruthfields has them)).

The seats are very comfy too. Your insurance will drop also.

VW Golf R
Audi A4 allroad Quattro (no stick option, just dual-clutch with paddle shift)

I just asked my brother (who manages a VW dealership in QC) and they're getting a manual 4MOTION SportWagen next year. So there's another reasonably-priced option.

Edit - my brother adds that there's nearly no demand for such a vehicle outside of forum-posting-car-enthusiast types, and that the same forum car enthusiasts who beg for these cars rarely end up buying them. #lol

Last edited:
thanks guys,

a couple of answers. FWD is out - I have owned FWD cars before and find AWD or RWD just soooo much better. Not really interested in cross overs as I kayak and load bikes on roof racks and frankly Im not that tall and find putting stuff on top of our Forester a pain. VW is interesting as I had overlooked it due to a horrible experience with a 2000 VW GTI, I might check it out.

I think you are buying another Subaru to replace your Saabaru....

Really the only option that ticks all your boxes and is not big dollars.

I just asked my brother (who manages a VW dealership in QC) and they're getting a manual 4MOTION SportWagen next year. So there's another reasonably-priced option.

Edit - my brother adds that there's nearly no demand for such a vehicle outside of forum-posting-car-enthusiast types, and that the same forum car enthusiasts who beg for these cars rarely end up buying them. #lol

I hear you - its tough actually caring about cars and shopping for one these days. We bought our Forester pretty much because it was the only decent SUV with a manual transmission - Wish we could have gotten the turbo with manual but they dont make it.

Not fully sure what your hang up is with FWD, with the limited slip axles and such, they are quite good.

The 2017 Honda Civic is now offered in Hatchback comes with manual transmission option with turbo engine.

Honda arguably makes the best shifters in the business, and I don't need to tell you about its rock solid reliability.

http://honda.ca/civic_hatchback/trims/sport_touring_10401

The regular Impreza with the standard (non turbo) engine has neither good performance nor good fuel consumption. Friend of mine had one ... he ended up selling it and buying a Jetta.

Not all front-drive cars are a mess of understeer. There are plenty of non-mundane front-drive hatches to pick from.

Honda has finally seen the light, and brought the Civic hatch. At launch of the new Civic, you couldn't get the turbo engine with manual transmission but apparently that has been fixed. The new Civic is supposed to be a huge improvement over the ho-hum last couple of generations.

Try a current-generation Mazda 3 before you knock it.

Try a Focus/Fiesta, too. Most of the knocks against those concern the automatic transmission - but if you're buying manual, it's not an issue. Not sporty enough? Try the Fiesta ST.

And try a Golf GTI.

The regular Impreza with the standard (non turbo) engine has neither good performance nor good fuel consumption. Friend of mine had one ... he ended up selling it and buying a Jetta.

Not all front-drive cars are a mess of understeer. There are plenty of non-mundane front-drive hatches to pick from.

Honda has finally seen the light, and brought the Civic hatch. At launch of the new Civic, you couldn't get the turbo engine with manual transmission but apparently that has been fixed. The new Civic is supposed to be a huge improvement over the ho-hum last couple of generations.

Try a current-generation Mazda 3 before you knock it.

Try a Focus/Fiesta, too. Most of the knocks against those concern the automatic transmission - but if you're buying manual, it's not an issue. Not sporty enough? Try the Fiesta ST.

And try a Golf GTI.

I will disagree with your friend.
The base car has 170hp and 170 torque
quiet motor
car moves when you step on it, cornered great, brakes were solid.
Something about it's braking setup that pulls the car down and prevents nose dive.

Dealer let me drive the car, the sales guy was a former driver and worked with some of the Japanese teams (had the pics to show). He said that is how you test drive a car. He gave me some tips on how to push the car.

I 'flew down' the bluffs no issues and in the parking lot he said drive the car as fast as you can in a circle then STOMP on the brakes...it was slightly wet too. The car kept the line, the back end did not step out. I did it a few times.

I tried the same thing with the Vibe/Matrix/Mazda3. For 1 I slowed down a lot going down the Bluffs (before they repaved it). The cars just got airy and started to become unstable on the bumpy road. It rained earlier so the parking lot was wetish, had some puddles. I drove through the puddles to wet the tires then I was trying to make the car slip and slide...damn thing stuck like glue. I was not trying to flip or damage or risk life and limb...I wanted to really test it out and push it. That AWD is awesome.

I admit the gas mileage is not the best for city driving but I prefer a solid and stable car (safer also) vs gas savings.
My friend had that concern until the insurance company told her the car will be $400 less than the thrifty Suzuki Sx4 (go cart) with way less power.
Insurance agent told her car is rated safer...car with more power and more expensive was cheaper than the go cart. So the gas price was off set by lower insurance rate.

Also she drove that car to Owen Sound countless times in winter. She had winter tires on it. Said the car was solid and she felt very safe in it, never got stuck and the heavy snow felt like nothing to her.

I saw a guy with the Imprezza WRX STI get onto the on ramp in winter with snow down....dude just railed off the start and took the corner before I went 20 feet. I was impressed.

I also noticed in the other cars they cheeped out and used lesser seats for the front passenger. We took turns driving and noticed that. The Mazda 3 with Sky active had the harder passenger seat.

Also the Subaru has thicker sheet metal, car feels solid, not like a pop can.

I would not hesitate to get one if I find one...just missed a deal by 1 hour...solid silver fully done up....guy selling to get minivan (kid on the way).
Also, there is a lot of cargo room in those cars.

Last edited:
If you wait long enough and its not too expensive, VW is coming out with an allroad version of the golf sportwagon

No argument about the chassis tuning, Subaru seems to have that well sorted.

According to Wiki, the 2.0 non-turbo FB20B in the Impreza has 148 hp and 145 lb.ft. I was in the car a couple of times; it felt run-of-the-mill-econobox in terms of performance. The 170 hp is the FB25B in the Forester and Legacy, that's probably the one you are thinking of.

No argument about the chassis tuning, Subaru seems to have that well sorted.

According to Wiki, the 2.0 non-turbo FB20B in the Impreza has 148 hp and 145 lb.ft. I was in the car a couple of times; it felt run-of-the-mill-econobox in terms of performance. The 170 hp is the FB25B in the Forester and Legacy, that's probably the one you are thinking of.

I said the 2008-2012 model (not the new body style of the hatchback, that has less hp but is also lighter).

No Sir, see specs and full links to more info...McPherson setup, double wishbone... nice.
As I recall it's a boxer engine designed by Porsche
Horsepower (hp @ rpm)170 @ 6,000
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm)170 @ 4,400
https://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza/2009/road-test-specs1.html

I said the 2008-2012 model (not the new body style of the hatchback, that has less hp but is also lighter).

No Sir, see specs and full links to more info...McPherson setup, double wishbone... nice.
As I recall it's a boxer engine designed by Porsche
Horsepower (hp @ rpm)170 @ 6,000
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm)170 @ 4,400
https://www.edmunds.com/subaru/impreza/2009/road-test-specs1.html

I think Brian was saying if you go new you can only get the 170 HP 2.5L in the Forester or Legacy as they have discontinued it from the Impreza line and moved on to the 2.0L.

Anything Audi or BMW should be available in AWD. Getting manual is harder.

I'm in the same boat except my restrictions are even worse. I'm looking for AWD (decided against 4x4 after more research), manual, SUV, ~5000 LBS towing, and 230+ HP. Pretty sure it doesn't exist. Thought about an older Legacy GT wagon as you can get a class III hitch for it rated at 4000 lbs but the actual tow rating of the car is much lower than that. Want a vehicle that can tow another car but is also good to boot around in. Only thing I can find are a few rare manual X5's and the Cayenne but both are very expensive and have questionable reliability/maintenance costs.

I have the 2015 Impreza and agree that the 2.0L engine lacks a bit of power, but is amazing in regards to handling. The standard Impreza isn't meant to be driven by a speed demon (there's the STI if you have the need for speed - Or you could always hop on your motorcycle).
Amazing handling (especially in snow) and solid brakes. Fuel economy... I get readings of 9-10L/100kms in city rush hour traffic (around 500kms per tank), while getting 6.4-6.8L/100kms on highway. With a 55L gas tank, I was getting around 800kms on the tank on road trips.

With a low center of gravity, it felt a lot more stable/planted than the 2010 Mazda 3 that I drove previously when taking corners at higher speeds.

That being said, I have never driven a BMW or Audi, so it's hard to compare.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom