Stateside Roads - the twistier the better! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stateside Roads - the twistier the better!

Thanks Oomis - I agree that a sticky for this topic would be helpful. I figured I would finish adding the roads I've been on in the missing states and then request to make it a sticky - similar to the current sticky of Ontario roads. All the states will be at the top of the thread on page one, and if anyone comments on something, then that is what gets added in the following pages.

Originally I was just going to include roads I have been on, but if someone has an awesome road they want to add, then as long as they give me some good details about it (road quality, scenery, skill level etc) then I'm up for adding them in. Next year, I plan on going back down again to the Gap and hope to ride any roads suggested or find some new ones. There is a few ones that have been suggested to me that look awesome!

Maybe when we sticky the roads we can add who recommended them, and whether that person has personally ridden the road, and what year? That way we can age the reco and if we know who made it, understand if the reco aligns to our riding style...dont want to make it too complicated, but some idea of technicality would be helpful. A 8/10 for me may be a 10/10 or 5/10 for someone else...

I was riding Skyline Drive in September.
It was early, the sun was just up and there were four deer by the side of the road.
I slowed down to a crawl, the deer looked up and then went back to eating the roadside grass as though I wasn't there.
I guess the deer in Virginia are used to motorcycles.

South Carolina ... I'll add these because we've ridden into SC on our Deals Gap trips, and also I have a customer in Greenville so I've done some abuse to rental cars ... If you're on a hill in Greenville, or the moment the plane lifts off from GSP, the Smoky Mountains are on the horizon.

NC 28 south out of Highlands NC crosses through a little corner of Georgia and then becomes SC 28, and the whole length is great to south of Mountain Rest SC. It flattens out and the corners become sweepers south of there. It's decent all the way into Walhalla. But the thing to do is to go just south of the triangular junction with SC 107 (within sight) and see if this little restaurant https://www.google.ca/maps/@34.8407...88B6TGAvT5cwK3Q6yGvA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en is open (it has very odd hours). If it is, it is an excellent lunch stop. Regardless, backtrack and go up SC 107.

When you get to this wierd intersection, bear right https://www.google.ca/maps/@35.0004...s1g1MpK8XOyLKO9t3RzQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

At the stop sign where that road comes to a T with SC 130, turn left (north). That becomes NC 281 at the state line. The whole length of that is excellent.

I've never done the part of SC 130 south of that junction, but it looks pretty good on the map.

The northern end of NC 178 is at the junction with US 64 just north of Rosman NC. That crosses into SC and is great all the way to SC 11 (more on this later). It's flatter and straighter south of that but only by comparison - it's decent all the way south to Pickens.

I've never done 288 from Pumpkintown SC to 178 but it is on the to-do list.

NC 276 has been mentioned. South of Brevard it becomes SC 276 and is great all the way to SC 11 (again, more later).

Interstate 26 is about the eastern boundary of the hilly terrain ... I haven't been east of there.

The western part of SC 11 is called the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Parkway. It is more or less the southern boundary of the hilliest terrain. If you are more the touring type, this road is less technical.

But even the flatter terrain in SC has roads that gently twist and turn. SC was settled long before surveyors got the idea of making grid-pattern roads. "Let's make a path to the next village. I think it's THAT way." The road map looks like a bowl of spaghetti.

Great information thanks .

Back
Top Bottom