Zx6r 03 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Zx6r 03

joey12jet

I replaced my front brake pads on my bike and it is rolling Ok but in some spots i think the pads are touching the rotors. Before I replaced the pads there was no spot where pads touches the rotor.

How do I check if the rotors are straight?
Does the rotors need to be replaced?

Thanks,
Joey

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Put it on a set of stands. Spin the front wheel and see if you have any deflection in the rotors.

It is on stand. But i cant really tell whether the rotor deflects or not.

Did you get all the old pad material off the rotors before you put the new pads on?

Did you bed in the new pads properly? I've changed pads on two bikes so far and I remember them rubbing a little bit right after the change. Goes away within the first few hundred kms.

Use a dial indicator gauge with a stand to check rotor warp.

Did u also clean brake pistons before pushing them in?
I did not clean the pistons. Ill try that.
Are you noticing and pulsing or vibration on brakes?
Not much difference from the old pads except that there is squeeking noise at super low speed when im not on brakes. There was no squeek after i installed the new pads. I notice the squeeking after a day of riding of about 600km.

Did you bed in the new pads properly? I've changed pads on two bikes so far and I remember them rubbing a little bit right after the change. Goes away within the first few hundred kms.
I dont know. Ill go check. But isnt it going to seat properly after a few kms of braking?
Use a dial indicator gauge with a stand to check rotor warp.
Ill do that. Thanks.
I remember u told me i can use zx10r's rotors and add 10mm spacers on calipers' brackets. Which year can I use if I go this route?
Thanks

It probably didn't rub on the old pads because they were worn down, which will give it more clearance . New pads mean less gap. If it's really minimal, try shaving the rotors really lightly,that may help. The easy way to check rotors is to lift front end on stands, spin the wheel really slowly and listen very closely to when and where it's coming from. I. E. Start of sound to stop. You can mark off, with a sharpie really lightly as a reference line. Then clean that area. If it's bent, when you spin, from side profile, it won't be straight but Will have a small side wobble on rotation.

The calipers, if anything, will be helping to hold the rotor in line. That runout measurement will be worse if the caliper is removed.

You've definitely got some warpage happening. Those brake rotors have semi-floating mounts (the round adapters holding the friction surface to the inner adapter that bolts to the wheel). They will accommodate some warpage without causing problems. Do the brakes work OK on the road, or are you getting pulsations in the lever?

The calipers, if anything, will be helping to hold the rotor in line. That runout measurement will be worse if the caliper is removed.

You've definitely got some warpage happening. Those brake rotors have semi-floating mounts (the round adapters holding the friction surface to the inner adapter that bolts to the wheel). They will accommodate some warpage without causing problems. Do the brakes work OK on the road, or are you getting pulsations in the lever?
I dont feel any jerking when I use the brakes. It feels like same as I was using the old pads. Just making squeeky noise at super low speed.

Back
Top Bottom