Sharing my underground parking spot with 2 other motorcycles - downtown Toronto | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sharing my underground parking spot with 2 other motorcycles - downtown Toronto

Lastly, regarding "trying to be nice"....I don't really try anything. I do or I don't....and sorry sir, in my life I've always come first or learnt....never last ;)

let my guess. you are 3 feet tall, green and have pointy ears? like to use the word "force" a lot?

In most condo bylaws parking spaces are for building residents only. Rules get bent but if anyone gets their nose out of shape the other bikes have to go.

I've never been asked to disclose storage arrangements by insurance. I'm going to have to read my policy. Your friend should have hired a lawyer, provided the bike was worth the hassle.

Oh there was lawyers involved. 4 months was realistically 6 - he parked it there by Nov and usually didn't get it out until late April.

It was a nightmare as owners insurance also got involved and lawyers pretty much pitted the two of them against each other, and they spilled the beans on each other. One was running a business per say and the other misrepresented where the bike was stored pretty much half the time.

Call your agent and ask. If s/he says no problem then get that in writing. My best advice

Oh there was lawyers involved. 4 months was realistically 6 - he parked it there by Nov and usually didn't get it out until late April.

It was a nightmare as owners insurance also got involved and lawyers pretty much pitted the two of them against each other, and they spilled the beans on each other. One was running a business per say and the other misrepresented where the bike was stored pretty much half the time.

Call your agent and ask. If s/he says no problem then get that in writing. My best advice
So the real issue here is that the vehicle owner didn't properly disclose the vehicle location to their insurer, and not an issue with the property owner renting out space. If the vehicle owner had his insurance in order, then no problem, by the sounds of it.

A further issue is key fobs - often building management will only issue a certain number of fobs and only to the owner of the unit - and they're not free; $90.00 in my building if you lose yours. I get 2 fobs plus an extra that unlocks everything EXCEPT the garage door. Anyone using your spot would need a fob to get in/out.

And would you like to park in a garage that a bunch of non-tenant, random people have access to?

Yuppers, if you are doing this as a business then have insurance to cover all vehicles within it.
If you are renting space make sure a) above is in place and/or b) your policy is chill with it AND insurance knows.

So the real issue here is that the vehicle owner didn't properly disclose the vehicle location to their insurer, and not an issue with the property owner renting out space. If the vehicle owner had his insurance in order, then no problem, by the sounds of it.

Don't take cash, accept donations via gift cards to grocery store :)
might be a loophole for you

A further issue is key fobs - often building management will only issue a certain number of fobs and only to the owner of the unit - and they're not free; $90.00 in my building if you lose yours. I get 2 fobs plus an extra that unlocks everything EXCEPT the garage door. Anyone using your spot would need a fob to get in/out.

And would you like to park in a garage that a bunch of non-tenant, random people have access to?

I overheard a property manager telling a condo owner that he couldn't rent out his parking spot to someone who didn't live in the building......and besides, there's someone living in the van.

let my guess. you are 3 feet tall, green and have pointy ears? like to use the word "force" a lot?

Well, your comment doesn't make sense but whatever... You're from the city where my alma mater is.....say Hi to the roads upto Whistler for me, will you.

A further issue is key fobs

I was not really thinking of this as a long term arrangement. Something merely over winters, i.e. December up until April end where bikers would want to store the bikes. That ways no one really needs the bikes until they want to get it ready for riding season come March.

Yuppers, if you are doing this as a business
Nope, not really. I was just looking for a place to store bikes and don't wish to go too far from downtown Toronto to store it. I thought there could be many others like me who would want to store their bikes in downtown.

....I don't really try anything. I do or I don't...

Well, your comment doesn't make sense but whatever...

You aren't familiar with Yoda I guess. He says "do or do not, there is no try"....
[video=youtube;BQ4yd2W50No]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No[/video]

Don't take cash, accept donations via gift cards to grocery store :)
might be a loophole for you

If lawyers become involved I'm sure there's about as much chance of that panning out as there is with the "my 45 year old dad owns this GSXR1000RR, I just ride it occasionally" insurance routine that we so often hear the young kids entertaining.

They will see right though it, in other words.

If lawyers become involved I'm sure there's about as much chance of that panning out as there is with the "my 45 year old dad owns this GSXR1000RR, I just ride it occasionally" insurance routine that we so often hear the young kids entertaining.

They will see right though it, in other words.

And what you think and what you can prove are two different things.

You aren't familiar with Yoda I guess. He says "do or do not, there is no try"....
[video=youtube;BQ4yd2W50No]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No[/video]

aaaand my bulb really didn't light up on that one....my bad! haha

If lawyers become involved I'm sure there's about as much chance of that panning out as there is with the "my 45 year old dad owns this GSXR1000RR, I just ride it occasionally" insurance routine that we so often hear the young kids entertaining. They will see right though it, in other words.

The current situation is - I have rented it out to a guy living in the same set of condos. He has a car and was cool to let me park my bike behind the car (towards the wall, or by the side)
Boom! done...

Having said that, this conversation was really helpful in making my decision. By making such a move for renting out the car parking within the set of condos I followed all the rules:
The CONDO RULE states that it can be rented to a person living within the same set of buildings
The insurance rule still applies since its the same area (However, I do disagree with earlier points that stated that insurance would get void if you park it in somebody else's parking)

and finally my personalized plates with my name came in......Who's in for a ride on Sunday? :D

aaaand my bulb really didn't light up on that one....my bad! haha

The current situation is - I have rented it out to a guy living in the same set of condos. He has a car and was cool to let me park my bike behind the car (towards the wall, or by the side)
Boom! done...

Having said that, this conversation was really helpful in making my decision. By making such a move for renting out the car parking within the set of condos I followed all the rules:
The CONDO RULE states that it can be rented to a person living within the same set of buildings
The insurance rule still applies since its the same area (However, I do disagree with earlier points that stated that insurance would get void if you park it in somebody else's parking)

and finally my personalized plates with my name came in......Who's in for a ride on Sunday? :D

It's going to be chilly Sunday. What route are you taking?

Also, check the rules for 1 spot 1 car. Most places have that, if yours does not then you are set.

Back
Top Bottom