Sharing my underground parking spot with 2 other motorcycles - downtown Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sharing my underground parking spot with 2 other motorcycles - downtown Toronto

Goku

Hi friends,

I live in downtown and I am renting a huge parking spot in my building. The spot previously had a car and my motorbike, but now that I have sold my car....there is a huge space which can fit 2 motorcycles comfortably.
I was wondering if anyone lives in downtown Toronto and want to share the parking spot and the cost throughout the winter.

The parking is underground (level P5), no access without a fob, 24 hour surveillance, security present, heated, and away from any pipes/vents/exhausts. I thought to share this with the community here so that it helps people like me who live and work in downtown and don't want to go far away with their motorbikes.

Let me know...

Cheers,
Goku!

Hi friends,

I live in downtown and I am renting a huge parking spot in my building. The spot previously had a car and my motorbike, but now that I have sold my car....there is a huge space which can fit 2 motorcycles comfortably.
I was wondering if anyone lives in downtown Toronto and want to share the parking spot and the cost throughout the winter.

The parking is underground (level P5), no access without a fob, 24 hour surveillance, security present, heated, and away from any pipes/vents/exhausts. I thought to share this with the community here so that it helps people like me who live and work in downtown and don't want to go far away with their motorbikes.

Let me know...

Cheers,
Goku!

How did you get away with parking two vehicles in one spot in a condo? Hell you can't even do that in Hamilton anymore.

I have something similar.
My space is in an angled part of the garage.
There isn't enough room to place another car parking space, but I have enough for my car and bike.

Check your rental agreement ...
My first thought as well, Perhaps they were being "kind" to let you have your bike and car in there, Not likely to be nearly as "nice" when they see three bikes..lol

Also what about insurance? If I park my bike in the spot and am paying you rent for, then I EXPECT you to ensure it's safety and security. If my bike gets stolen are YOU replacing it. I am sure as hell are not going to admit to MY insurer I had it parked in some random dudes spot inside a condo that I don't live in and void MY policy?

I get it your "trying" to be a nice guy, but there is truth to the old adage "nice guys finish last" for a reason...lol

This isn't going to end well.... lol

How did you get away with parking two vehicles in one spot in a condo? Hell you can't even do that in Hamilton anymore.

I had a word with the management and they said that as long as it doesn't cause any inconvenience to others you should be fine. However, if they get any kind of complaint, I'd need to get another spot.

My first thought as well, Perhaps they were being "kind" to let you have your bike and car in there, Not likely to be nearly as "nice" when they see three bikes..lol

Also what about insurance? If I park my bike in the spot and am paying you rent for, then I EXPECT you to ensure it's safety and security. If my bike gets stolen are YOU replacing it. I am sure as hell are not going to admit to MY insurer I had it parked in some random dudes spot inside a condo that I don't live in and void MY policy?

I get it your "trying" to be a nice guy, but there is truth to the old adage "nice guys finish last" for a reason...lol

They could very well be trying to be nice with that gesture. However, i saw other people park their car and bikes too.

Regarding insurance, I'm sorry I'm not completely aware how it would work. How would it be different that us getting the bikes into a storage unit or with other dealer? Is that covered under insurance? Sorry for being ignorant but I'm a bit new to the system and your replies would be extremely helpful.

Lastly, regarding "trying to be nice"....I don't really try anything. I do or I don't....and sorry sir, in my life I've always come first or learnt....never last ;)

This isn't going to end well.... lol

I don't know bud. But, I might as well bounce ideas here before I actually go ahead and do something...lol

Yes, they may be nice as a car and a bike belonging to the same owner, although likely in violation of the rental agreement is over looked, but likely not so much for three bikes.

Insurance for a storage unit each person would be on the lease for the unit and be required, (by the lease agreement), to have their own insurance to be legal. Dealers carry liability insurance for just this type of case. If you leave your bike for repairs and someone breaks in and steals your bike or the building catches fire and your bike is damaged the dealers insurer would cover your losses.

When you bought your policy for your bike, or car, they ask where will it be parked, (your driveway, your garage etc), if you said "oh in some dude's condo spot I met on the internet", they would likely deny theft and a comprehensive coverage..lol

For you to CYA, (cover your ***) you would need to buy a policy similar to a dealers liability policy, Which would then cover any damage or losses to bikes while they are under your control, (seeing that you can't secure the parking spot, like a dealer locks their yard and buildings), you likely won't find such a policy or if you did the premiums and deductibles would be VERY high.

There are a few forum members who do provide winter bike storage, they do this as s business and could likely put you in touch with who they use as an insurer. It wouldn't be the same insurer you have your personal policy with.

Always willing to help. If you want to do this and do it right FIRST place you need to go to is your condo board for approval, (which I am sure will tell you, they won't permit it, as it will also expose them to all kinds of liability)

They could very well be trying to be nice with that gesture. However, i saw other people park their car and bikes too.

Regarding insurance, I'm sorry I'm not completely aware how it would work. How would it be different that us getting the bikes into a storage unit or with other dealer? Is that covered under insurance? Sorry for being ignorant but I'm a bit new to the system and your replies would be extremely helpful.

Lastly, regarding "trying to be nice"....I don't really try anything. I do or I don't....and sorry sir, in my life I've always come first or learnt....never last ;)

Yes, they may be nice as a car and a bike belonging to the same owner, although

That was a very comprehensive and well written response bud! Thanks...this was really helpful

I had a word with the management and they said that as long as it doesn't cause any inconvenience to others you should be fine. However, if they get any kind of complaint, I'd need to get another spot.

Your intentions are good.

Get it in writing.
As others said, check your rental agreement. They tend NOT to rent spots to cars not registered to you/tenants.
I am pretty sure you will see the clause that states 1 vehicle 1 spot (with proper tags).
Save the spots for your and your buddies (throw cover on bikes right away) then get a larger tarp and put it over all the bikes so they can't tell how many or what is under the tarp (secure down with bungee cords).

Get it in writing.
As others said, check your rental agreement. They tend NOT to rent spots to cars not registered to you/tenants.
I am pretty sure you will see the clause that states 1 vehicle 1 spot (with proper tags).
Save the spots for your and your buddies (throw cover on bikes right away) then get a larger tarp and put it over all the bikes so they can't tell how many or what is under the tarp (secure down with bungee cords).

Thanks D for the encouragement.
However, the point that was earlier raised, reg. insurance would be an issue. God forbid if anything goes missing, I wouldn't want me (or the other buddies) to go through an issue where their insurance can't be claimed. I think I'll drop this idea :S

A friend use to rent out his spot and then rent a bigger one from a neighbor in a condo.
The neighbor's spot could fit two cars, which he did. This was on Wellington St. I think.
So it can be done. Depends on the condo.

Insurance for a storage unit each person would be on the lease for the unit and be required, (by the lease agreement), to have their own insurance to be legal. Dealers carry liability insurance for just this type of case. If you leave your bike for repairs and someone breaks in and steals your bike or the building catches fire and your bike is damaged the dealers insurer would cover your losses.

When you bought your policy for your bike, or car, they ask where will it be parked, (your driveway, your garage etc), if you said "oh in some dude's condo spot I met on the internet", they would likely deny theft and a comprehensive coverage..lol

For you to CYA, (cover your ***) you would need to buy a policy similar to a dealers liability policy, Which would then cover any damage or losses to bikes while they are under your control, (seeing that you can't secure the parking spot, like a dealer locks their yard and buildings), you likely won't find such a policy or if you did the premiums and deductibles would be VERY high.
Huh, I thought your personal vehicle insurance covered your vehicle regardless of parking location. If my bike is stolen from a dealers' shop, or the shop burns down and destroys my bike, I thought the shop insurance covered their loss, and my bike insurance is still used to cover my vehicle. Heck, even a homeowner needs to have separate insurance on parked vehicles. A bike stolen out of your home garage can't be claimed under your home theft coverage, you are required to have a separate policy for the vehicle.

I know someone who rents storage space to fellow hot / street rodders, and he has coverage for his Quonset hut and personal contents, but the renters need their own coverage for their vehicles.

Edit: I think the dealer insurance you speak of is for damage caused by the shop, i.e. they screw up your valve adjustment, lunching the motor. Their policy covering workmanship issues may kick in. Straight up storage however, I think your personal vehicle insurance covers your vehicle.

Last edited:
Difference is where it is normally parked. You don't normally Park your bike at the shop.

Saying you live one place, getting rates on that location and then actually keeping your bike at a riskier location would be fraud in the insurers eyes. Misrepresented.

Friend rented storage space from another who had a massive garage. Garage was broken into and his insurance denied theft coverage as investigation figured out that he had stored his bike there for 4+ months every year and didn't bother to tell insurance.

Sucks, but if you are actually planning to store your bike at another location make sure your insurer knows this and your policy supports it.

Difference is where it is normally parked. You don't normally Park your bike at the shop.

Saying you live one place, getting rates on that location and then actually keeping your bike at a riskier location would be fraud in the insurers eyes. Misrepresented.

Friend rented storage space from another who had a massive garage. Garage was broken into and his insurance denied theft coverage as investigation figured out that he had stored his bike there for 4+ months every year and didn't bother to tell insurance.

Sucks, but if you are actually planning to store your bike at another location make sure your insurer knows this and your policy supports it.

Ah! Valid option, send an email to your insurance/broker...bike will be parked at x address for y amount of time.
Send a fax also, CYA.

I agree, but there's so many potential issues that could make the whole arrangement go sour.

Personally, I would consider this sort of arrangement amongst friends...but strangers found online, well....different ball of wax IMHO.

As for the number of vehicles in a single spot...FWIW when I bought my wifes first bike it was parked in a condo underground up against the wall in front of his car. I noticed a LOT of others parked the same throughout the many levels of the garage, so it didn't seem to be out of the ordinary. I guess it probably depends on the wording of the condo/rental agreement, and probably even more on the nazi-level of the building manager/super/caretaker/whatever who actually walks through the garage and oversees things.

Last edited:

I've never been asked to disclose storage arrangements by insurance. I'm going to have to read my policy. Your friend should have hired a lawyer, provided the bike was worth the hassle.

Back
Top Bottom