How Hinky Is This Used Car Purchase? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How Hinky Is This Used Car Purchase?

Dilligaf0220

Site Supporter
An independent small town garage is selling a car I'm looking at, it's advertised as "Private Seller" and the owner on the phone says he is selling it for a long time client. I get up there, and the story gets modified to it's the garage's car and he's been driving it for two summers. Car is mint, low mileage, super clean and even smells brand new.
The catch is...the ownership is in the first owners name, and now the garage is saying they want to transfer ownership from the PO, to the business, THEN sell it to me. He wasn't a big fan of me simply buying it from the PO/current owner, the asking price is above Red Book wholesale price so I'm looking at taking a bigger hit on HST than I was planning on.

What's the catch here, I haven't bought from a licensed business since 1998?

Also anyway to get back any HST on a used vehicle purchase, my Canadian income is sub $20k for the year, any rebate I can apply for on next years income tax?

What's so special about the make / model that you would want to deal with an apparent con artist.

sounds to me like the PO owes the garage money, now garage holds car for payment

There are so many reliable dealers out there selling so many good used cars that you'd have to be crazy to go with this deal. There are so many ways this can go wrong for you on top of overpaying for the car. Also, once it belongs to a business, you'll have to be the one who forks over for an Ontario used vehicle report. I'd be running in the other direction.

Deal appears hinky dink skinamarinky doo.

An independent small town garage is selling a car I'm looking at, it's advertised as "Private Seller" and the owner on the phone says he is selling it for a long time client. I get up there, and the story gets modified to it's the garage's car and he's been driving it for two summers. Car is mint, low mileage, super clean and even smells brand new.
The catch is...the ownership is in the first owners name, and now the garage is saying they want to transfer ownership from the PO, to the business, THEN sell it to me. He wasn't a big fan of me simply buying it from the PO/current owner, the asking price is above Red Book wholesale price so I'm looking at taking a bigger hit on HST than I was planning on.

First, there is no rebate on taxes paid for a vehicle even if your income was $0. It is what it is.

Second, I'm not sure I see the apprehension. If they wanted to do as you wish (buying it direct from the current registered owner even when said registered owner is apparently not even in the picture or anywhere to be seen?) that would seem dodgy to me - the fact that they wish to put it into their name *first* actually lends an air of credibility to the story for me, honestly. It demonstrates that it's actually possible to begin with (so they legitimately own the car), and secondly, it protects you against the mystery (?) owner coming back on you saying the shop didn't have authorization to sell the car to you. And that could make it stolen property, effectively.

If the car is indeed mint and it's legitimately in their name....my opinion is...stop worrying and buy it. If the price is too high, negotiate it, but remember redbook is wholesale and retail is expected to be higher.

Just recognize that it's still a used car so buying it from a shop, a dealer, or a private individual is basically the same in that you don't really get any sort of warranty. A UCDA licensed dealer would offer some consumer protections for you, but still no physical warranty, so IMHO you're not loosing a whole lot.

once it belongs to a business, you'll have to be the one who forks over for an Ontario used vehicle report.

Dealership sales do not require a UVIP. However, since this garage is unlikely a registered dealer it will probably still be necessary...that said, it IS the sellers responsibility to provide it, and OP...in this case, you WANT TO PHYSICALLY SEE IT before proceeding. Pay particular close attention to the "Registered Liens" portion - make sure that the bank doesn't still own it, or that some other third party doesn't have a lien registered against it. If the shop itself has one registered (if indeed this was a customer who didn't pay and they're seizing the vehicle as a result) make sure it is cleared before buying. The ownership history will be listed as well which can also help legitimize the paper trail and such.

None of the immigrant names seem familiar.

Back
Top Bottom