3D printed parts | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

3D printed parts

@fastar1 here in Vaughan you need to do the 3D printing intro course, pre book the time, you do the printing and there is a size limit. Basically the size of a large Kinder egg toy.

Thanks @48Connor, I will get some pics done asap!

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

A .stl file is what you export from a CAD program and import into a 3D printer program to print whatever object. If you were curious haha

I lost access to NX when I left uni to go on an internship, and have been putting off learning FreeCAD or "legally" downloading SolidWorks, so I'm without any CAD software. But it'll give me an excuse to do either one. If you send me over some pictures with whatever measurements I will see what I can do. :D

Try Autodesk Fusion, I think it can export to STL and it is actually free. I still can't figure out Autocad's angle on that one.

@48Connor I don't live in Durham and have no clue what a .stl file is, but my son has a Little Tykes car mountain, and has a broken plastic piece that they don't manufacture anymore. Any steps we can take to figure that out? I have the broken part.

Post the pics JB. Sometimes trying to rebuild the same part isn't the correct approach (e.g. can the part be carved out of a piece of wood which would be faster, easier and stronger).

I've designed and printed a dash mount for my enduro and so far after almost 8K KMs of bashing rocks and falling off the trailer it's doing great. Having used Shapeways for the prototypes and then switching to a local provider Objex Unlimited, I would say that their resins are not as great as Objex. I also had a problem with their shipping method a) charging duty and b) missing the ETA by over a week. While customer service was courteous, it did nothing for getting my prototype in faster or giving me a credit/discount for the delay. At the same time the team at Objex was personable, helpful and willing to price-match competition.

For the design of the part I used Google Sketchup (and an online converter to convert the output to .STL).... yes, as simple as that.

index.php

3e4d1934ea01d63e94f0a724591e9264.jpg

index.php

index.php

My buddy is running a small business out of his garage 3D printing , its more than a thing now. He can use resin threads with brass, aluminum and even carbon fiber content, they can be functional parts.
He is a full time high school teacher and ran a school program, making printers for kids by having printers make the parts. Then teaching CAD programs and principals of prototyping.

He also has a scanner so an existing part can be measured with a probe, then a second part printed, and a computer program so it will 3D model, ie; take a picture of your face, then a 3D bust of your head can be printed.

He made a large gear drive for an auto metal cutting table, its used occasionally but it been solid for a year, parts for my sailboat and some very complicated fittings for a tool I tried to design. Its real.

3d printing is on my bucket list. There are too many small fiddly plastic parts that break, making a machine unusable.

At UofT one of their labs 3d prints trans-tibial leg prosthetic sockets. Supposedly they send the printer, software and supplies to Africa for sockets for kids. I toured their lab. The sockets are much weaker than traditional prosthetic resin lamination, are not tested for adults, and takes half a day to print. I tried to stand on one and almost broke it, much to the terror of the lab tech. This would not happen with a traditional laminated resin socket.

3d printing is on my bucket list. There are too many small fiddly plastic parts that break, making a machine unusable.

For the general public, this will be the real strength of 3d printing, if the materials are durable enough. Who doesn't have all sorts of flashlights, tools or electronics that were rendered useless by a broken battery cover or something similar.

For the general public, this will be the real strength of 3d printing, if the materials are durable enough. Who doesn't have all sorts of flashlights, tools or electronics that were rendered useless by a broken battery cover or something similar.

The other half of this project is the required 3d scanner. Those work quite well now, but are unaffordable. Generating a 3d model of most parts takes quite a while (especially for people that haven't bee doing it for years). Not to mention that even generating dimensions of most parts is annoying as they aren't designed to contain reference faces.

The other half of this project is the required 3d scanner. Those work quite well now, but are unaffordable. Generating a 3d model of most parts takes quite a while (especially for people that haven't bee doing it for years). Not to mention that even generating dimensions of most parts is annoying as they aren't designed to contain reference faces.

I have a friend who has been doing some pretty neat printing at home and built his own 3D scanner...well, sorta - I think he repurposed an Xbox camera somehow and he traded some printing for someone to fabricate him a turntable used to spin the object (or in his case, person) around during the scan. He has some pretty good results on his FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/MoonProps/

(Scroll down for his "mini-me" 3D scan)

@48Connor @GreyGhost
I don't think wood will work for this application. But I have been known to make mistakes before .
Here is the part:

9f9e0a8f7cfc81cd4daa901252953739.jpg

You'll notice that the one on the left has a tab missing. It should be identical to the one on the right.
Here is a pic for scale:
576a453ad5c6d23cff9e37244dbb1dd7.jpg

The use for that part is that it needs to hold this loop:
6818ca88fec434ebdd81847297042cd3.jpg

I've tried duct tape, glues etc. None work.
Upside: there is a lady in the States that makes aftermarket moulded loops for this mountain, but the bottom clip is needed. After making the first one, I would wager that there would be a market for more. This mountain is ~16 years old, and they are on ebay for $50 - $75 USD.

How much is a printer that'd be good enough for the general hobbyist? I've not really looked into this but the applications and options available are awesome with this tech.

@48Connor @GreyGhost
I don't think wood will work for this application. But I have been known to make mistakes before .
Here is the part:

9f9e0a8f7cfc81cd4daa901252953739.jpg

You'll notice that the one on the left has a tab missing. It should be identical to the one on the right.
Here is a pic for scale:
576a453ad5c6d23cff9e37244dbb1dd7.jpg

The use for that part is that it needs to hold this loop:
6818ca88fec434ebdd81847297042cd3.jpg

I've tried duct tape, glues etc. None work.
Upside: there is a lady in the States that makes aftermarket moulded loops for this mountain, but the bottom clip is needed. After making the first one, I would wager that there would be a market for more. This mountain is ~16 years old, and they are on ebay for $50 - $75 USD.

Pop those two screws out and bust out some calipers. I'm not good enough to guess measurements off of a Hotwheels car lol

How much is a printer that'd be good enough for the general hobbyist? I've not really looked into this but the applications and options available are awesome with this tech.

I have a Prusa I3. Picked it up on Amazon for $330 on sale. Really finicky to get it operating right, but for what I paid I can't complain. Ultimaker makes some amazing printers if your up for spending $3k. Dremel makes one also that is supposed to be decent, and you can (could?) buy it at Home Depot for around a grand.

Pop those two screws out and bust out some calipers. I'm not good enough to guess measurements off of a Hotwheels car lol

Absolutely lol
Just threw it out there to see if this was possible ☺

Absolutely lol
Just threw it out there to see if this was possible ☺

Cool looking toy.
Little-Tikes-Adventure-Mountain.jpg

I am not sure how well 3d printing will hold up here, you are bending a thin section back and forth with impulses, but it may be worth a shot.

How much ground clearance does a hotwheels car have? Do you think you could use pan head cap screws to bolt the loop on?
Screw.jpg

@GreyGhost @48Connor I just searched for the molded track,
8a6148607f036b85e56f6584e626ed29.jpg

this seems like it won't put as much stress on the part in question.

....this seems like it won't put as much stress on the part in question.

It would, as you aren't trying to curve a straight piece of track. Though, just heat the straight piece with a hairdryer when it's in the curve and then let it set that way and you have a permanent curve.

@ JB...would simple glue work?
Nope.
Gorilla glue
Epoxy etc.
Probably because of the aforementioned stress.
@Riceburner would that actually work? I have a heat gun that I could use. Then my gorilla glue fix may hold.

Back
Top Bottom