3D printed parts | GTAMotorcycle.com

3D printed parts

mistersouthpaw

Is this a thing yet? Anyone heard of any places 3D printing usable parts?

That will be sweet whenever this tech comes to the market/becomes affordable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are already outfits online that will do this, such as Xometry (just an example, have never interacted with them personally)

Usable how? As cosmetic pieces, they can already be used. If you are looking for wheels or pistons, you have a long time to wait.

The hybrid approach is the way to go for most metal parts (use the 3d printer to make a part, use the plastic part to make a mold, cast the part conventionally). This can remove a lot of hours of carving for the mold maker.

Yea I was talking about mechanical parts. I heard somewhere that an auto manufacturer was starting to use 3D printers to manufacture parts

I know a guy attempting to 3D print a 3D printer!

No ****, just the housing parts but I laughed my head off when he told me. Eventually printer will go to the field and they expect it to get used aka broken. So they are printing off spare parts.

Brilliant

I designed and 3D printed a new inlet funnel for my FZ8.

y8DkMLv.jpg

It's been on the bike for ~2 years and is holding up well.

I designed and 3D printed a new inlet funnel for my FZ8.

y8DkMLv.jpg

It's been on the bike for ~2 years and is holding up well.

That type of application is perfect for 3d printing. It is protected from most physical stresses and it would be a lot of work (and require a fair amount of material) to make conventionally. Out of interest, why did you make it? Is it intended to flow better than the factory part?

There are multi million dollar machines out there capable of printing complex metal parts. The technology is there, its just not affordable to everyone yet.

We are close. There isnt much we cant print right now in terms of material.

I have a part on my desk at work right now that is printed metal, a white powdered cast type looking thing. Was printed in a shop out east. the machine cost over a million. The part is strong, I tried breaking it when my buddy brought it to us at work to show what one of his clients is doing right now. The surface finish is close to a nice fine casting, almost zero burrs, and its accurate to within a few thousandths of an inch.

That type of application is perfect for 3d printing. It is protected from most physical stresses and it would be a lot of work (and require a fair amount of material) to make conventionally. Out of interest, why did you make it? Is it intended to flow better than the factory part?

The inlet funnel to the airbox on the FZ8 is fairly narrow. A lot of guys on the FZ8 forums would simply cut the funnel out and enlarge the hole. I decided to enlarge the funnel itself.

RINBm25.jpg

I doubt the '8 moves enough air to benefit greatly from this mod though it may provide benefits in conjunction with my Akrapovic headers (decat) and Yoshi muffler.

The inlet funnel to the airbox on the FZ8 is fairly narrow. A lot of guys on the FZ8 forums would simply cut the funnel out and enlarge the hole. I decided to enlarge the funnel itself.

I doubt the '8 moves enough air to benefit greatly from this mod though it may provide benefits in conjunction with my Akrapovic headers (decat) and Yoshi muffler.

How much did it cost you to make this part?

Yea I was talking about mechanical parts. I heard somewhere that an auto manufacturer was starting to use 3D printers to manufacture parts

Koenigsegg was using them for "production" turbochargers (the One:1, of which they built a total of seven). That was two years ago though, who knows what they're doing now

A good friend of mine has a pretty decent printer. Can print two different types of plastic, ABS, and something else I cant remember.

We both are proficient with design software. I recall him saying his printer isnt working much these days when hes not busy making prototypes for the machines he builds.

I could connect GTAM members with him if they are looking for a less expensive 3d printing guy to make little doo dads and doo hickies if they want.

A good friend of mine has a pretty decent printer. Can print two different types of plastic, ABS, and something else I cant remember.

We both are proficient with design software. I recall him saying his printer isnt working much these days when hes not busy making prototypes for the machines he builds.

I could connect GTAM members with him if they are looking for a less expensive 3d printing guy to make little doo dads and doo hickies if they want.

ABS and PLA are the two types of plastic that 99% of home 3d printers use. ABS requires higher print temps, and smells like burning plastic while printing, so I only use PLA. Main upside to ABS over PLA is that ABS is more flexible.

If anyone lives in Durham and wants something printed, send me over the .stl file and I can print it also. Last couple days I've been printing pieces for a "working" Toyota 22RE engine that I found on Thingiverse. Never printed anything for the DRZ though.

I have the cosmetic right side battery cover on my 1990 BMW held together with duct tape and super glue.
The Red Green repair school.
It cracked and while you can get the left side replacement, no one has the right side available.
Sounds like the ideal project.

@48Connor I don't live in Durham and have no clue what a .stl file is, but my son has a Little Tykes car mountain, and has a broken plastic piece that they don't manufacture anymore. Any steps we can take to figure that out? I have the broken part.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

@48Connor I don't live in Durham and have no clue what a .stl file is, but my son has a Little Tykes car mountain, and has a broken plastic piece that they don't manufacture anymore. Any steps we can take to figure that out? I have the broken part.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

A .stl file is what you export from a CAD program and import into a 3D printer program to print whatever object. If you were curious haha

I lost access to NX when I left uni to go on an internship, and have been putting off learning FreeCAD or "legally" downloading SolidWorks, so I'm without any CAD software. But it'll give me an excuse to do either one. If you send me over some pictures with whatever measurements I will see what I can do. :D

How much did it cost you to make this part?
My local library will print stuff for free. Just bring them the 3D file at your scheduled time and off you go. Not sure about quality for use anywhere, even if it's not structural it could be rough and brittle. But worth the cost.

My local library will print stuff for free. Just bring them the 3D file at your scheduled time and off you go. Not sure about quality for use anywhere, even if it's not structural it could be rough and brittle. But worth the cost.

My local libraries with printers have a limit of 2 hours for print time and aren't free, but maybe that's just Whitby.

I think it was Shapeways that had a service that you could find people local to you and have them print whatever at a price Shapeways sets. There was probably 30+ people in the GTA signed up to be able to print stuff back in 2014. Another good resource if its still active.

Back
Top Bottom