rough vibration only from cold start, but disappears after a few minutes of riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

rough vibration only from cold start, but disappears after a few minutes of riding

iblastoff

so bear with me as a new rider with a dinky little bike (2013 sym wolf classic 150cc single cylinder carburated bike with 4500km on it)

im hearing and feeling this grinding/crazy vibration (not totally sure where its coming from but i can feel it in the pegs and clip-on bars) when i ride the bike from a cold start (basically every morning i go to work). the issue appears only in gear. when in neutral and/or coasting, i dont feel the extra vibe/grinding feeling at all. i always let it warm up for a few minutes before i get going.

after riding for about 5 minutes, the weird grindy vibration fades away and completely disappears (apart from normal vibration from a 150cc single cylinder bike).

as im still a new rider thats just getting used to riding and also exploring the powerband of this tiny bike, i dont know if this is normal.

i took it to a local shop to get it looked at (they dont normally deal with syms but also didnt charge me anything). they took the bike for a spin around the block (they had the bike overnight so it was also from a cold start) and they said while it did seem to be extra vibey feeling, they dont think theres something actually wrong with it.

any tips on how to diagnose this further? just seems weird the heavy grinding/vibration feeling goes away after its been riding for a few minutes.

If it was a multi-cylinder engine the most common reason for a weird vibration at cold start is that 1 cylinder isn't firing, but on a single obviously that's not possible.

A quick google search shows that vibration issues when cold are not uncommon - gearbox and apparently a potentially loose fuel tank were noted as the culprits on this specific model.

Did the noise only start recently with the arrival of the cooler weather?

Last edited:
post video.

It sounds like the oil may drain down out of the gears. Check your oil level.

Back
Top Bottom