Insurance for a Brand New Rider? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for a Brand New Rider?

RideRich

Hi, I was planning to start riding next year (2017) when springs hits, maybe around March. The bike I would like to purchase and insure is probably not the best "starter" bike ever, but I already have had some experience on riding sport bikes, a Ninja 300/ZX-6R (these bikes are my uncles, not mine, I was just trying/practicing on them) for a bit now, just around the neighbourhood, no real street yet because I don't have my M1. I'm planning to take my M1 next year before I take a MSF course, to hopefully lower my insurance by a bit, and buy a bike with ABS (for safety reasons/a bit lower insurance). I'm currently looking at the 2017 R6 ABS or the soon to be unveiled 2017 ZX-6R ABS with an Two Bros Black Series Carbon Edition slip-on. I will be purchasing full gear as well because I would like to start on a such high cc bike (Shoei Helmet, 2 Piece Dainese Race Suit, Dainese Gloves, Dainese Boots, an Ogio Dainese Edition Backpack (just because I like Dainese and want a matching backpack), an GoPro Hero5 (for safety/insurance reasons) we all know how bad drivers are here in Toronto,Ontario and maybe a Sena for music/linking up with friends. The thing is, I'm only an 18 year-old student, would any insurance companies willing to take the risk of insuring somebody my age on a supersport anyways? I was planning on getting a 2017 BRZ Sport-Tech because I would be attending post-secondary next year (September of 2017), but the school I would like to attend rarely has parking spots for cars, you would have to buy a yearly parking pass as well. I believe I would have a lot more fun on a bike instead of a car anyways and I would like to be part of a brotherhood as well, due to growing up as a only child. I seen people around my age get brand new 300cc's bikes insured for 2.8-3kish, depending if it has ABS/if they took the MSF course. Hope to hear back from you fellow riders soon, thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, I was planning to start riding next year (2017) when springs hits, maybe around March. The bike I would like to purchase and insure is probably not the best "starter" bike ever, but I already have had some experience on riding sport bikes, a Ninja 300/ZX-6R (these bikes are my uncles, not mine, I was just trying/practicing on them) for a bit now, just around the neighbourhood, no real street yet because I don't have my M1. I'm planning to take my M1 next year before I take a MSF course, to hopefully lower my insurance by a bit, and buy a bike with ABS (for safety reasons/a bit lower insurance). I'm currently looking at the 2017 R6 ABS or the soon to be unveiled 2017 ZX-6R ABS with an Two Bros Black Series Carbon Edition slip-on. I will be purchasing full gear as well because I would like to start on a such high cc bike (Shoei Helmet, 2 Piece Dainese Race Suit, Dainese Gloves, Dainese Boots, an Ogio Dainese Edition Backpack (just because I like Dainese and want a matching backpack), an GoPro Hero5 (for safety/insurance reasons) we all know how bad drivers are here in Toronto,Ontario and maybe a Sena for music/linking up with friends. The thing is, I'm only an 18 year-old student, would any insurance companies willing to take the risk of insuring somebody my age on a supersport anyways? I was planning on getting a 2017 BRZ Sport-Tech because I would be attending post-secondary next year (September of 2017), but the school I would like to attend rarely has parking spots for cars, you would have to buy a yearly parking pass as well. I believe I would have a lot more fun on a bike instead of a car anyways and I would like to be part of a brotherhood as well, due to growing up as a only child. I seen people around my age get brand new 300cc's bikes insured for 2.8-3kish, depending if it has ABS/if they took the MSF course. Hope to hear back from you fellow riders soon, thanks.

Hi RideRich, the way I see it... speaking to some insurance agents might get you some quotes to choose from. You can try - Riderplus, Echelon, Statefarm, Intact, Dalton Timmins (Royal insurance). Inquiring these vendors will help you gauge the "best" rates available for your scenario.
Regarding your motorbikes, I just wanted to share a few pointers - take it or leave it :)
I understand the urge to buy a brand new motorbike, especially when you want to hit the road. But, let me ask you this question? Would you always want to stay on a 300cc - I assume not. In 2 years, you'd want to move up into the 600 segment, and gradually up from there. What's my point here?
Well, the point I am trying to make is get a used bike for the 1st 2-3 years. Pros - You get used to the bike, get accustomed to riding, cheaper cost of the bike, cheaper insurance cost, build a great insurance history, depreciation isn't too bad on older bikes (certainly as compared to newer ones). Cons - You really really want a "NEW" motorbike and that has a huge emotional value to you.

But, think of it this way - You progress onto a bigger "Newer" bike gradually with much better insurance rates and ride for longer....especially seeing that you'll be attending school.

Again, just my two cents... Hope it shares a different perspective! All the best bud..

I'm with Goku above - By buying a brand new bike you will be required to carry full insurance, including comprehensive. As a brand new rider this can dramatically increase your monthly insurance costs...which will already not be low on a 600cc sportbike.

Now, two common things may happen with that brand new bike.

-You could drop it - not uncommon for a new rider, and the damage will be costly to repair...and making an insurance claim on it will cost you dearly at your renewal..if they even offer you the option to renew because of making a claim in your first year.

- You could decide after a few months you don't like that specific bike anymore and want to sell it...problem is you only own about 0.1% of it at that point after only a handful of payments, it's value depreciated between 10-20% the second you rolled it off the dealers lot, and you WILL be upside down on the deal. If you wait until the fall to make that decision the chances of being able to sell it are little to none, so you'll be sitting on it (making both financing and insurance payments) for the entire winter until the spring of 2018 and all the numbers are even worse.

So, yeah...consider a used bike for your first bike. If you get something 6-8 years old that has lost most of it's depreciated value anyways you won't take that hit. If you ding or dent it a little it's not the end of the world, used parts are out there and readily available for most bikes. You probably won't want to bother carrying collision/comprehensive insurance on it, saving yourself some $$$. And the actual insurance costs themselves (again, assuming you pick the right bike, stay away from "R" or "RR" bikes) will typically be lower.

I'm with Goku above - By buying a brand new bike you will be required to carry full insurance, including comprehensive. As a brand new rider this can dramatically increase your monthly insurance costs...which will already not be low on a 600cc sportbike.

Depends...if you are financing it then yes, but if you buy the new bike outright you can do whatever you want. That said, if you bought a brand new bike and only carried liability it wouldn't be the smartest move imo.

^ True enough, but yes...financed = full coverage.

It will be expensive (sport bike surcharge) but Aviva will be able to insure you as long as you do not have 2 or more convictions.

Even though it will seem expensive, on that particular bike and your driving profile, they are very competitive compared to the rest of the market (some insurers will not insure you on that motorcycle).

Send me a PM or email me at psouth@surnet.net if you would like to obtain a hypothetical quote.

Your user name says it all. You better be rich to afford to insure a new SS bike as a brand new young male rider. Cost of insurance and the bike aside, there's a reason to start on a smaller displacement less powerful bike. Your life and limb. It may not happen, but the odds aren't in your favour as a new rider. You may have gone around the neighbourhood, but that's a far cry from being on the open road with traffic. Build experience with a "starter" bike for a few years. It's common for 2nd year riders to get into accidents as well, because by then they figured they have experience and push it a bit more than they should.

Just start on a used 300 bro, they're trainer Sport bikes(high revving, semi aggressive seating position, flashy looking)

It'll be cheap to buy, cheap to repair, cheap to insure.

And you'll learn a lot more, a lot quicker (like how not to wheelie while learning rev matching)

(Used R3 or ninja 300)

Back
Top Bottom