Dining around Los Angles Airport | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dining around Los Angles Airport

Mike-the-Bike

OK. I know this is a bit of a long shot and a very strange question but my wife and I are going to Maui for our 10th anniversary and Air Canada are having us stop over at LAX for the night. In all fairness to them they are paying for the hotel so they stepped up and did the right thing.

It's a special trip so I'm going to take her out to dinner on the layover so I'm trying to find a nice restaurant in the area. I will not have a car.

I simply don't where else to ask. Tripadvisor is a bit of a bust. Seems to recommend a lot of bars and fast food

Thanks

Mike

Get an Uber and go to 3 different places.
1. for drinks
2. dinner
3. dessert

switch 1 and 3 around depending on the desired outcome

Your in luck. In and Out burger just outside maingate. Guaranteed to be a hit.
We goto Maui every year. Let me know if you need some options in Maui.

If you take a cab or uber down to the Manhattan Beach area (not too far, ~20 mins), you won't be disappointed. Nicest, most "California" neighbourhood/boardwalk/pier I've seen, and I've been all over that state.

And if you can't find a fancy restaurant, there are excellent fish tacos there at Wahoo's, and a swanky ice cream place across the street :D

I have 2 clients in El Segundo. In fact one is right on Century Blvd. There is nothing there.

Uber to Manhattan Beach is a great suggestion. There are 2 really outstanding restaurants there.

The Strand House - http://www.thestrandhousemb.com/. Up scale, great food, good wine list. Pricing is reasonable- 2 people with wine is probably going to be around $250. The rack of lamb is great, as is the branzino. Make a reservation and ask to be put by the windows. Stunning views of Palos Verdes to the south and Malibu to the north. Very pretty to watch a sunset while dining.

The other restaurant I would recommend is Manhattan Beach Post - http://www.eatmbpost.com/ . Its a little more casual but its very much California "farm to table" food. It's very unique to CA. Small portions that you can share. Extremely fresh veggies and fish and very lean meat. Extremely light on the oil but incredible seasonings. The menu changes based on the season but try the Challerhocker, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Pomegranate Couscous, Spiced Green beans. The Skirt Steak is really good as is the Pan Roasted Cod. The best thing though is the Bacon Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits. They are a little out of character with the rest of the food but they are amazing. I think its my favourite restaurant in LA. The wine list is good but they also do Atticus if you are in the mood for a really hoppy IPA.

The other very interesting place is The Warehouse - http://www.mdrwarehouse.com/. It's in Marina Del Rey. Its about the same distance as Manhattan beach but driving north. Its been around since the 60's and was founded by a really famous camera man and photographer called Burt Hixson. In the 70's it was a hang out place for all the stars as they had their boats in the marina so the walls are lined with photos from John Wayne, Ricardo Montalban, Robert De Niro, right up to modern celebs like Adam Sandler and Steve Buscemi. I'll be honest, I prefer the food at the Beach Post, but for the atmosphere its hard to beat. You can sit out on the deck that is right into the Marina. They are consistently voted one of the 10 best steak houses in LA. Generally its full of people from the Fox lot as its just up the road so its possible to catch someone from a series like Bones or CSI.

Last edited:
^ post of the week, I'll be flying through LAX in a couple weeks with a big layover and headed to the warehouse. I love places like that.

Thanks Tricky and Delboy. Manhattan Beach it is, although The Warehouse does sound like fun.

Appreciate all the feedback. Its more than I could have hoped for

Mike

Definitely have to Cab... we took a cruise to Hawaii and back for our Honeymoon 5 years ago.... stayed overnight after we returned and walked around near the hotel for lunch/dinner.... Sketchy AF. However, the Westin there is nice...

Thanks Delboy.

Went to Manhattan Beach Post. Incredible. Very simple, very fresh and very light, even the skirt steak and I'm not a red meat fan.

For those in a similar situation. I would suggest Venice Beach/Santa Monica as well, it's a lot more condensed with more things to see and do than Manhattan Beach.

Also, rent a car. Only $30-40 and it'll give you the opportunity to easily bounce around different areas.

Thanks Delboy.

Went to Manhattan Beach Post. Incredible. Very simple, very fresh and very light, even the skirt steak and I'm not a red meat fan.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I've lost 15lbs in the past year eating like this. It was the only lifestyle change I made.

Mind asking them to check a restaurant for a wallet.
Just saw this.
Clever.
I gotta get it.
Got got to get it.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom