Reliable Online Sources For Metric Tools, Fasteners & Electronic Parts. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reliable Online Sources For Metric Tools, Fasteners & Electronic Parts.

Flywheel

Spent a good chunk of the weekend trailing over Hell's half acre looking for assorted tools and parts. The usual comedy of no inventory or the wrong inventory ensued. That's the reward for braving the usual recipe of congestion, erratic drivers, hazardous parking lots and poorly maintained everything. As the saying goes, I'm getting too old for this *****. What's the GTAM experience? I want to buy stuff. Who's good at selling it? Canadian-based if possible, so I don't have to deal with Voldemort/UPS. Thanks in advance, team.

Not sure about electronic stuff, but the Blue Point tools sold by Snap On are pretty solid and reasonably priced. They shipped out of Alberta both times I ordered.

Princess Auto's online ordering is decent but they take a while to ship in my experience.

For items like individual wrenches, sockets, spark plugs, etc I just use the big box stores online ordering with ship to store. Pick it up on the way home, without hunting through the (constant layout changing) store. I'll start with Home Hardware or NAPA first since their service is better, Crappy Tire is last on the list. Princess Auto is good for some items, but like Matt said it takes a while to get moving.

I have zero idea what a good source of fasteners is. Finding the right size metric bolts/screws in any major retail store is like trying to find a leprechaun.

I have zero idea what a good source of fasteners is. Finding the right size metric bolts/screws in any major retail store is like trying to find a leprechaun.

Fasteners, I use Brafasco. Know exactly what you need and be at the mercy of counter jockey. Bad mood, no bolt. (they don't like small orders too much)

Reliable Online Sources For Metric Tools, Fasteners & Electronic Parts.

Tried to use Brafasco once for an odd-sized p-clamp. Salesdude emails me asking how many I need (even though my online request clearly said 25) (I really needed 2). I replied with 25. He never processed my order. I knew that wasn't a retail place, but come on.

Re: Reliable Online Sources For Metric Tools, Fasteners & Electronic Parts.

Im a bit of an automotive fastener whore. When I used to build cars, I often went to all the part out cars for whatever I was building at the time and show up with tools and offer the owner 20 bux if I could sift thru the car for all the shiny new hardware in the interior and under the carpet etc.....

Metric automotive is not usually standard machining practice so the thread types are sometimes harder to find.

Bikes are the same but use a lot more common threads like M5, m6, m8........when you get to M10 and up, its usually fine pitch.

I found ebay the easiest place to get those sizes, in stainless, or coated steel, or even hardened steel.

I recently parted out a bike, I kept every bolt and nut. The crew I pit with at track days greatly appreciate my bucket of spare bolts.

Local places like brafasco, fastenal, big box stores etc.......they got NOTHING of use to us. So as I mentioned, maybe create a stash by buying some small bulk packages of m4, 5 6 8 and 10 stainless automotive pitch thread sizes from ebay.

I recommend stocking button head and socket cap screw type the most as they are likely the most common non major bolt types on the bike and use allen keys. ie the stuff that rattles off :p

Or visit guys on kijiji who are parting out bikes and offer them some cash to pick thru the bike they are parting and rape it for hardware.

Last edited:
Lowes has the best variety of metric bolts compared to all other retail stores. They even have a decent stock of stainless metric fasteners.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

When you say "electronic parts" are you asking for components like resistors and transistors, or test gear like multimeters. If components, great online sources are Digikey.ca or mouser.com. Both have massive inventories of almost anything electronic. They ship same day by FedEx so you receive it within one day. Shipping charges are reasonable too ($8). Local sources for electronics are A1parts.com (Etobicoke) and Sayal.com (Markham). These guys also have test gear, especially A1 Parts if you want good prices. Shopping at A1 is a total adventure!

When you say "electronic parts" are you asking for components like resistors and transistors, or test gear like multimeters. If components, great online sources are Digikey.ca or mouser.com. Both have massive inventories of almost anything electronic. They ship same day by FedEx so you receive it within one day. Shipping charges are reasonable too ($8). Local sources for electronics are A1parts.com (Etobicoke) and Sayal.com (Markham). These guys also have test gear, especially A1 Parts if you want good prices. Shopping at A1 is a total adventure!

Electronics in my case means connectors for the heated vest (and gloves eventually). Replaced all of my Tourmaster trollers with Warm N' Safe ones (+ a new Yuasa battery, natch) only to discover the wiring just past the barrel connectors was frayed. D'oh! To be fair, the continuity only failed when the wire/connector was twisted by sitting on the scoot. When tested flat on a table or hanger, continuity was fine. I've been to A1 a few times over the years. It was pretty cluttered last time I went. Electrosonic is another one. More industrial but a good resource for some people. Thanks for the leads, gents.

Last edited:
Electronics in my case means connectors for the heated vest (and gloves eventually).
Check out ebay for very cheap AMP Superseal 1.5 Series connectors. These are waterproof and handle high currents. A set of 4-way or 3-way connectors are only $7 -$8.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom