First accident | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First accident

I live in the area, in fact I saw the aftermath of this crash, and was yelled at by a bystander as to how dangerous bikes and bikers are. This crash happened at the intersection of the Hockley Rd. and the 4th concession of Adj. Tos. Stop signs on the north south concession and very good visibility in all 4 directions, so what the hell happened? Only two options, the pickup truck lost it's mind and either ran the stop sign or ignored the fact that a bike was coming, or the bike was travelling at warp speed and got on top of the intersection faster than the truck was expecting. No excuses or blame but there is very good visibility at this intersection, seems unlikely a crash would happen there, but one did, too bad.

I was headed eastbound, the southbound pickup driver did stop, but then accelerated hard to get across. The driver was charged. The speed limit is 80kmh, and I was doing between 80 & 85.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

I was headed eastbound, the southbound pickup driver did stop, but then accelerated hard to get across. The driver was charged. The speed limit is 80kmh, and I was doing between 80 & 85.

I ride that road often. It's my regular route to the Dairy Queen in Tottenham. These stupid hicks with their pickup trucks only barely stop as a matter of course, but don't do much looking before flooring it. Sometimes they don't stop at all. Last year three people were killed a few miles from there when someone ran the stop sign. BTW, of you were driving a car you might be dead from the broadside, and so might she.

It happens. Ride on.

And how was your "flight" sir? ;)

GWS ...got a whole winter to get better.

just curious if you clipped the bars at all or get launched free.?
I don't think I clipped the bars just took flight.

I ride that road often. It's my regular route to the Dairy Queen in Tottenham. These stupid hicks with their pickup trucks only barely stop as a matter of course, but don't do much looking before flooring it. Sometimes they don't stop at all. Last year three people were killed a few miles from there when someone ran the stop sign. BTW, of you were driving a car you might be dead from the broadside, and so might she.

It happens. Ride on.
Thanks man! I will likely downsize for a year or so but at least I'll have an excuse to hit up the bike shows the winter!

You guys really disappoint me. I live there, I ride that road every day, I know that intersection like my own living room. I ride that road at 200kmh all the time. It is virtually impossible to screw up there unless you are a fool. If there is a vehicle at the intersection you use that lever on your right handlebar to reduce your speed until you are sure they won't pull out. We are not "stupid hicks", you would be really surprised to know how much high dollar horsepower lives in the immediate area, lots. Just before I stumbled upon this wreck I was in Mansfield at the store, and watched what I assume is an "enlightened" city rider, riding what looked liked a 600SS with a extended swingarm, no license plate, leave the gas station and bang off the rev limiter for at least 4 gears in a 50kmh zone. Making friends with the locals and the OPP. Thanks for taking a dump in my yard. Get off my lawn.

GWS, tibia/fibula or femur? I had a similar accident in that area years ago, call pulling out and sent me over the bars. Snapped my femur. Welcome to the club.

Last edited:
You guys really disappoint me. I live there, I ride that road every day, I know that intersection like my own living room. I ride that road at 200kmh all the time. It is virtually impossible to screw up there unless you are a fool. If there is a vehicle at the intersection you use that lever on your right handlebar to reduce your speed until you are sure they won't pull out. We are not "stupid hicks", you would be really surprised to know how much high dollar horsepower lives in the immediate area, lots. Just before I stumbled upon this wreck I was in Mansfield at the store, and watched what I assume is an "enlightened" city rider, riding what looked liked a 600SS with a extended swingarm, no license plate, leave the gas station and bang off the rev limiter for at least 4 gears in a 50kmh zone. Making friends with the locals and the OPP. Thanks for taking a dump in my yard. Get off my lawn.

Lolwut?

Are you aware of the charge? If so, what was the charge?

If you don't mind my asking, will your insurance will be covering lost wages, or small claims?

I agree with the Pain Killer comments in the hospital I was on Hydromorphone every hour, then every 2 then 4 until finally at 12 hours I pulled myself off. 5 months later I am still on a VERY old school 50 MG dose of Tremadol, (a Narcotic pain killer), but it apparently has little ill effects, I take one as needed but never more than 2. I fill in with much less power full 30 MG straight Codeine. Main issue is trying to get back to my shop to salvage what business I have left. Of course insurance feels I should be here 8 hours per day 5 - 6 days per week as I was before the collision. They don't consider my rehab appointments are all 1 hour drive from my shop, (10 - 15 minutes from home)...lol I currently attend Physio 2X weekly, laser/massage 5 X per week, and chiro 3 X per week..

Sorry to hear. GWS.

You definitely do not want to be on narcotic PKs for long. They'll do everything from **** up your guts to your mind. I had some relatively minor surgery 10 days ago and am still recovering as much from the Percocets they prescribed as the surgery itself...

GWS!

I would also consider a Stebel or similar air horn. Even if you're watching, you think they stop and see you, but they start to go, your situation has shown there is really no time to react. A blast of a loud air horn just as they start to move can be very effective in getting them to stop just as they're getting started. I got one after a minivan merged sideways into my lane and had no reaction at all to my wimpy stock horn. Since then, I won't own a street bike that doesn't have a stupid loud horn. It has saved me on more than 1 occasion.

Dude, a fellow rider is down, going 80-85kph and t-boned by a truck. You're on his crash thread and you get huffy because of some perceived insult to you? You then defend the horsepower of the trucks in your area? I don't really know the area or the situation, but if the OP's story is right, the truck stopped, then moved enough to block the way, causing the rider to crash and sustain a broken leg. FFS the truck driver "stupid hick" did an illegal move that caused a fellow rider a trip to the hospital and destroyed his bike. You might consider who exactly is the "stupid hick".

And just because you saw a squid on an ss just before the crash site has absolutely no bearing on the OP and his crash.

I don't know why this keeps happening on this site. Rider blaming even this scenario. And so insulting to someone in the hospital and with months of physio ahead of them because of another's action.

IMHO, it's perfectly reasonable to call someone a stupid hick and a fool who literally crosses a highway at a time when a motorcycle is so close as that it is literally unable to avoid the collision as described. And 18 years without an accident prior shows skill.

Condolences OP. GWS.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I did break my tibia and fibula along with 1 bone in my ankle and radial plate in my left arm. I've had surgery to place a 35cm long "nail" in my leg. I also got an air cast for my leg, and sling for my arm. I was able to take a single step with a walker to get into a chair today. Doctors and rehab are happy with my progress so far

My wife is working on getting a copy of the police report and contacting insurance. My employer is awesome, and just happy for me to be alive; I've had clients reach out to me with good wishes.

There's talk of me going to a rehab centre first, depending on progress. I have no inclination to rush things.

I plan on getting back in the saddle in the spring, only with something small to rebuild my confidence. Lots of time to do that through.

Maybe a lawyer is warranted to ensure you get all that your insurance policy owes you?

Maybe a lawyer is warranted to ensure you get all that your insurance policy owes you?
My wife is looking I'm that now although if anyone has a personal recommendation that would very helpful.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. A great personal injury firm is Thomson Rogers, located near Bay and Queen. Very effective and helped myself and a friend immensely, where both of us were hit and other driver deemed 100% at fault.

Scary what happened to you, op. I ride the area all the time. Glad to hear you're on the mend though.

See you at the bike shows!

Back
Top Bottom