can I cross over to the USA without a passport? (by car) | GTAMotorcycle.com

can I cross over to the USA without a passport? (by car)

Only option other than passport is the EDL - Enhanced Drivers Licence, and that's only valid for crossing by car, not valid for air travel.

So...long story short, unless you have an EDL...no, you can't - passport required.

thanks pilot, my 16 year old doesn't have a passport. took a look at the applicants guide and I don't see any age restrictions - (edit: no age restrictions for enhanced DL) unless someone knows differently?

ty

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Children: Canadian citizens 15 years old and younger arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate or a Canadian Citizenship Card. Canadian Citizens 16 and older must have a valid passport, unless traveling as part of an organized group described below.

[/FONT]
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/619/~/visiting-the-u.s.---documents-required-for-canadian-citizens-%2F-residents-%2F

I wasn't very clear. I have a passport. My 16 year old doesn't have a passport. If he gets the enhanced DL we should be good to go ?
whatever the case may be, good luck pullin' the wool over US homeland security

I wasn't very clear. I have a passport. My 16 year old doesn't have a passport. If he gets the enhanced DL we should be good to go ?

It's pretty easy to get a passport for your kid. I think it takes less time than the enhanced DL and more versatile. I think the enhanced DL is handy if you are near the border.

All my kids has passports. And you can pay extra and have it rushed. The folks at the passport office are really helpful.

Ps. Not that I'm advocating this but, if you plead ignorance and have identification for your kid, the border agent may let you cross over.

My ex has taken the kids across a few times and messed up and has always made it. They just ask the kid some questions to prove they are yours, give a warning etc.

They can and will force you to return. But, I can say they have been understanding and let my eldest go without a passport. She was 17 at the time. Now 18. Wasn't she didn't have a passport. She just didn't have it with her at the time of crossing. So, I'm not completely sure it's worth the risk of attempting it and wasting your time.

It's pretty easy to get a passport for your kid. I think it takes less time than the enhanced DL and more versatile. I think the enhanced DL is handy if you are near the border.

All my kids has passports. And you can pay extra and have it rushed. The folks at the passport office are really helpful.

Ps. Not that I'm advocating this but, if you plead ignorance and have identification for your kid, the border agent may let you cross over.

My ex has taken the kids across a few times and messed up and has always made it. They just ask the kid some questions to prove they are yours, give a warning etc.

They can and will force you to return. But, I can say they have been understanding and let my eldest go without a passport. She was 17 at the time. Now 18. Wasn't she didn't have a passport. She just didn't have it with her at the time of crossing. So, I'm not completely sure it's worth the risk of attempting it and wasting your time.

If refused entry it could go on your record. A lot depends on the colour of your eyes. (Said partially sarcastically)

If refused entry it could go on your record. A lot depends on the colour of your eyes. (Said partially sarcastically)

Yeah, there is definitely more downside to going without the proper ID.

June Cleaver crossing over with the kids to go back to school shopping or go to Cedar Point etc. Plus there is already established records of crossing with legitimate ID.

We are by far frequent crossers. Nexus isn't of interest but we all cross over a few times a year.

Refusal of entry would definitely be recorded but, I don't think they would restrict them from crossing in the future. Just might hold them up the next few times that go over to make sure all is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passport always seemed easier to get vs the EDL, and it's far more versatile. As someone else mentioned, you can get it in as little as 24 hours now as well if you pay the rush fees.

I would *not* show up at the border without either and try to claim ignorance - the new laws have been in place for a long, long time now and the border guards have heard all the excuses.

Refusal of entry is indeed recorded, BUT, if it is for lack of a passport etc, then it is not a barrier to further entry. If it is due to say a criminal conviction or because you lied to the border agent, (said you were going on vacation, but they discovered you were actually going down to do some paid work etc), then they can bar you from attempting reentry for a period ranging from, (I believe it ranges), from 1 to 5 years period.

Yeah, there is definitely more downside to going without the proper ID.

June Cleaver crossing over with the kids to go back to school shopping or go to Cedar Point etc. Plus there is already established records of crossing with legitimate ID.

We are by far frequent crossers. Nexus isn't of interest but we all cross over a few times a year.

Refusal of entry would definitely be recorded but, I don't think they would restrict them from crossing in the future. Just might hold them up the next few times that go over to make sure all is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatever the case may be, good luck pullin' the wool over US homeland security

Im not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes. I want to be in full compliance. if i have my passport (and never been refused entry), and my 16 year old son has an enhanced DL - would we not be in compliance?

from the responses on this thread im getting worried - Time to get my son a passport. thanks to all who have responded.

This topic seems to come up with some regularity on the motorcycle forums I subscribe to.
The short answer is yes, there are a number of forms of ID other than a passport that will allow you to enter the US and return to Canada.
But none cover all the ins and outs and get you through the line as quickly and easily as a passport.
My general advice, get the passport.

Im not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes. I want to be in full compliance. if i have my passport (and never been refused entry), and my 16 year old son has an enhanced DL - would we not be in compliance?

from the responses on this thread im getting worried - Time to get my son a passport. thanks to all who have responded.

There would be no issue with you having a passport and son having enhanced DL. At least at a land crossing.

+1 for getting a passport. If he is 16 now, it will be valid until he is 26, and can be used for more things than an EDL.

NEXUS is apparently free if you are under 18... but you can't use any NEXUS lanes unless everybody has the NEXUS card. (You can still use it for ID). If your son was 15 or younger, he would only have needed a birth certificate. Having an EDL is actually undesirable for some reason, but I can't remember what that is. I think it is more expensive to renew and it expires faster, maybe?

Edit: Apparently they are arbitrarily rejected sometimes - https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/co...ivers_licenses_reviews_are_they_worth/co8xqm7

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom