Stunt Driving Charge in Brockville (near Kingston) HELP! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stunt Driving Charge in Brockville (near Kingston) HELP!

Hey everyone,

Got pulled over this past weekend coming back from Montreal in Brockville by OPP who supposedly "booked' me doing 153 on radar as I was about to exit the off-ramp, got charged w/ stunt driving, car impounded for 7 days, license suspended for 7 days. I've been doing my research since the incident looking for information regarding legal action (court dates in November) and lawyers and all that good stuff. From what I've read Redline is top of the list, unfortunately after talking to Forch LaRosa (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) who proceeded to talk to me for an hour giving me advice and the best way to deal with the situation it would be very expensive to have him represent me all the way out there (3-4 drive, multiple court dates, min. 4-5K). Officer wasn't too rude about it, told me I'll most likely end up with a $500-1000 fine + 4-6 demerit points + fine (22, full G license w/ clean history no charges/fines/convictions).

However, ideally I would like the charge dropped/reduced as low as possible. So I'm debating between OTT Legal and XCopper (feel free to recommend any others you've had good experiences with), was wondering if anyone has any experience with any lawyers/paralegals in the Kingston/Brockville area out East and how it turned out.

Also, from my conversation with Forch, living in Brampton secondary driver on insurance, he proposed that my insurance would likely increase between 400-600 for the year (if convicted of 49 over under the assumption most insurance companies treat all 0-49 speeding fines as minors). This has given me hope that I just need to survive the next 3 years and hopefully luck out w/ insurance not pulling an abstract.

If anyone has any experience with how dramatically insurance increased after a speeding charge (minor 0-49) please let me know. Currently debating as to whether its worth it to spend the $$$ on a lawyer who may or may not get the charge dropped or face the consequences for 1-3 years and save $$$ on a cheaper lawyer (OTT said its going to be $904).

Thanks in advance folks

For something that high, i'd rather go with a lawyer - it's a high fee but it's that, or pay the same over a couple years once your insurance increases.

So "apparently" you were going 153. What do you think you were doing?

For something that high, i'd rather go with a lawyer - it's a high fee but it's that, or pay the same over a couple years once your insurance increases.

He's not admitting guilt on a public forum..?

It's unfortunate that you got charged.

IMHO, do not go "cheap". Pay for the experts, there's a reason why they charge higher rates because they specialize in it. You wouldn't pay a regular family doctor to do an open heart surgery. They are both doctors, but there is a difference.

I agree with JFD, lawyer up. You need proper legal representation.

I thought a minor ticket was up to 29km over and a major was 30 - 49km over. Isn't the 50km over minimum fine $2,000 + towing + storage

Anyway, I think you are substantially underestimating the $$ impact on your insurance. As you got tagged at 153km ( and not 193km or 223km ) and were driving a car vs. a bike the prosecutor might cut you some slack and let you plead to a major ticket vs. the stunt ticket. Don't cheap out on your legal representation.

"This has given me hope that I just need to survive the next 3 years and hopefully luck out w/ insurance not pulling an abstract".

Good luck on this. As a resident of Brampton, one of the highest risk areas in the province, your underwriter will probably be doing annual abstracts. The other thing is that your policy may stipulate that you advise the underwriter of major tickets or a stunt conviction. Others may be able to comment on this but if you fail to declare a major change in "risk" you can have your policy cancelled and you will be flagged as misrepresenting information to an underwriter, a major sin that could push you to "facility" underwriters. You mentioned that you're a secondary on this policy so the actual policy holder may be impacted by these issues as well.

Lots of financial risk here. I figure for myself that a 50km over conviction would cost me $25,000 - $30,000 over 6 years when you factor in all vehicles and I'm now very very careful of watching that speedo on the 407 and other roads where speed can creep up on you.

In his CAR.
Sorry dude, you got to ride this one out.
If you were on a bike I could understand it better.
In a car, you should know better ESPECIALLY in that area.
Set your cruise control at 130 the max and get home without a ticket.

You hit 153, so that cop thinks you were likely going faster he just caught you at 153.
I have been followed in that area on the 401 with my cruise control set at 130. It was late at night (12am-1am) just sat in right lane unless I passed trucks then moved back to the right. Marked OPP cruiser followed me for a while before they exited. I guess they ran my plates...AND they realized I am using the cruise control given the constant speed. Be reasonable and responsible and they tend to do the same.

Good luck with it. I don't see how you will beat the charge.
Maybe save your money and beg for mercy from the Crown before the trial and beg for mercy from the judge.
They might lower it to 140 and demerit points...in the end it might still be cheaper for you....the money you would pay a lawyer can be diverted towards your insurance increase (if they raise it).

Showing up with a lawyer in court...probably pisses off a judge more than someone that shows up and admits they did wrong, roads were empty, just wanted to get home, lost track of speed...I will take my lumps however can you please consider offering me lesser charge...I learned my lesson and will be more aware. I have installed a small GPS device that sounds an alarm when if the car goes past 110 km/h.

Admit---apologize---correction
That formula tends to work for most things.

Bad luck with the cop.
My cop dropped my 163 to 149.
When you said most companies treat 0-49 over as a minor I think you're wrong. Most separate into 3 categories. 1-15, 16-29 and 30+, with 30+ being a major.
For mine I just walked into early resolution and they dropped it to a minor 29 over and I paid the $50 fine and walked out. So that's something to keep in mind if you're okay with a smaller fine.

Bad luck with the cop.
When you said most companies treat 0-49 over as a minor I think you're wrong. Most separate into 3 categories. 1-15, 16-29 and 30+, with 30+ being a major.
For mine I just walked into early resolution and they dropped it to a minor 29 over and I paid the $50 fine and walked out. So that's something to keep in mind if you're okay with a smaller fine.

He is walking out WITH a fine and demerit points. That's a given 100% unless he has some miraculous way of proving the equipment was faulty.

When the cop said this "he proposed that my insurance would likely increase between 400-600 for the year"...he meant percent not dollar value. ;)

Bad luck with the cop.

Definitely hire a lawyer. Its probably worth in in the long run.

A co-worker had a stunt charge in a car and went with The Traffic Lawyers. Its one option but there are others.

He ended up plea bargaining it down to 29 over which i think was a win-win as the cop had him bang to rights. They discussed other defence strategies as well so your case may be different

29 over is only a speeding fine, if the stunting charge stands its probably as bad as DUI on your record.

Any modern car should hold a steady 150km/hr all day long. I wouldn't worry about it.

Keep in mind that OTT, XCopper, and even Redline are not lawyers, they are paralegal services (that may or may not have a lawyer on staff). Also keep in mind the most I would expect is a reduction to a minor - all that takes is to 49 or 39 over, depending on your insurance co. Completely forget about the demerit points unless you have a habit of collecting them.

If you do nothing, your cost is the fine ($500-1000 if you believe the cop, though an HTA 172 conviction has a minimum fine of $2000) + 3 years x increased insurance premium (maybe talk to a broker and find out roughly what that would be for 1 minor vs 1 major).

Also be prepared to pay some $$$ for the impound & towing fees when you collect your car

29 over is only a speeding fine, if the stunting charge stands its probably as bad as DUI on your record.

I believe it's still only a major conviction, insurance counts it for three years, etc. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Any modern car should hold a steady 150km/hr all day long. I wouldn't worry about it.
No problem, all day long. I mean seriously, driving on a straight road at 153 km/h is the dullest stunt of all time.
Jazz it up some, make it thrilling for Pete's sake, folks pay good money to see a stunt show.

No problem, all day long. I mean seriously, driving on a straight road at 153 km/h is the dullest stunt of all time.
Jazz it up some, make it thrilling for Pete's sake, folks pay good money to see a stunt show.

Dude...did you not read the post...
The 153 WAS IN REVERSE!

Under 25 and stunt conviction will more than double your insurance...say goodbye to your bike too since it will be expensive if not impossible to insure in Brampton (or anywhere in sw Ontario) after this ticket. 49 over is a major charge..whoever told you it's minor is off their meds. I don't get why people speed in a car anyway. Too easy to get caught unless you are willing to evade, have the suspension and brakes to do it and most importantly the driving skills.

To shave even 5mins takes some serious speeding and not worth the risk of getting caught.

sorry you got caught... it'll be an expensive lesson.

I've only gone to court by myself for a few speeding tickets, so can't help you here. Hope all works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom