Storing a gas tank for awhile, how to prep? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Storing a gas tank for awhile, how to prep?

Motorcycle Mike

I've got a Clarke tank for the DRZ and am about to switch over.

I don't want the original tank to form any rust, yet I don't want to store it full as I don't know when I will use it again.

Is there something I should rinse the tank with once empty to prevent corrosion?

Rust Check Spray at Canadian Tire $6.99

Call a car rust proofing outfit and see what they would charge. It should be a two minute job. Krown, Ziebart etc.

Farmers use dirty motor oil.

If the tank is free of all gasoline and can be stored in a dry place corrosion would be minimal. If the tank is going to be stored in a damp garden shed you need to go heavy duty.

empty it, let it dry a short time, fog with oil or fogging spray?

This would be my call, or potentially buy some ACF-50.

Just remember whatever you spray in the tank will need to either be burnable or cleanable when you go to use the tank again.

So I actually have a jug of corrosion free out in the garage... maybe a quick spray of that stuff in the dry tank would do it... I wonder how I would get the corrosion free out in the future, perhaps a couple rinses with some old gas?

drain and dry, wrap in those sheets from princess auto that prevent tool box rust and put in card board box and leave it. Dont spray any rust coat in the tank, what a mess that will leave when it drys up. I stored several vintage tanks for a decade, they are very clean when I pulled the last one out.

I grew up on a farm, we never used dirty oil since it has contaminents that will rust and possible etching.

x2 fogging oil. Meant to be burned, will create a moisture proof barrier, and easy to apply. Storing it somewhere where there are not huge swings in temperature (ie, in your basement instead of your garage) will help avoid condensation to begin with.

My Interceptor spent the last 10 years in the basement, tank drained and sprayed with oil. Brought her out of retirement and was shocked to see the inside covered with surface rust. On a positive note I can vouche for a product called metal rescue. Tank turned out spotless inside. Next time I will drain and fill with diesel fuel, it does not breakdown like gas.

Next time I will drain and fill with diesel fuel, it does not breakdown like gas.

Not necessarilly a foolproof solution - standing diesel grows algae if not properly treated.

2004-volkswagen-vw-jetta-tdi-1.9l-diesel-algae-growth-fuel-tank-pump-assembly-filter-german-auto-repair-car-mechanic-autohaus-lexington-chapin-irmo-columbia-sc.jpg

A proper fogging agent is still your best bet...not just some sort of spray lubricant or something like WD40. A purpose designed fogging oil actually creates a thick physical barrier, and it stays in place. I've seen heads pulled off engines that were fogged and left in storage for a decade and theres zero rust.

I'm an AST with the RCAF.

The process we have to store tanks is to drain them, dry them, and hang a bag of desiccant inside. This has to be done for storage or shipping. When the tank is reinstalled it's just a matter of filling them. No gunk to flush out

You can get similar stuff of eBay or Amazon. Just put a few packages in a mesh bag or even your wife's nylons, hang in the tank with a string and put the cap on. It doesn't take much

Store somewhere cool and dry but not freezing with a constant temperature.

Last edited:
My Interceptor spent the last 10 years in the basement, tank drained and sprayed with oil. Brought her out of retirement and was shocked to see the inside covered with surface rust. On a positive note I can vouche for a product called metal rescue. Tank turned out spotless inside. Next time I will drain and fill with diesel fuel, it does not breakdown like gas.

this is why you don't store your firearms in a basement - ever. basements get damp.

Not necessarilly a foolproof solution - standing diesel grows algae if not properly treated.

2004-volkswagen-vw-jetta-tdi-1.9l-diesel-algae-growth-fuel-tank-pump-assembly-filter-german-auto-repair-car-mechanic-autohaus-lexington-chapin-irmo-columbia-sc.jpg

A proper fogging agent is still your best bet...not just some sort of spray lubricant or something like WD40. A purpose designed fogging oil actually creates a thick physical barrier, and it stays in place. I've seen heads pulled off engines that were fogged and left in storage for a decade and theres zero rust.

nice idea. may i ask what ast means? edit-whoops this comment was meant for mike-the-bike RE: desiccant in tank

Last edited:
this is why you don't store your firearms in a basement - ever. basements get damp.

my basement is damp free....if yours isn't you have issues....

and no issues with my firearms either, in my basement...but I do store them properly and with desiccant packs in each case, and in the safe

Last edited:
Did you have to protect the outside of the tank from the metal rescue or could you immerse the whole thing? I have a tank that is pretty badly rusted inside, due to the bike having been stored outside for a winter with no protection.

Back
Top Bottom