Ffs | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ffs

Also with the potential for more spot checks, more reason to save a bit of money and keep a bike looking as stock as possible. Been debating getting an eliminator (not one that places the plate under the tail but still), and have pretty much decided I'll keep the stock fender and save $200.
You're STILL thinking about that? :p I just don't think there's a good one for us. The tail section of the bike is too short. I've been looking at ways to "beef up" the spindly sticky-out part (it is so a real definition), sort of like that optional Australian part (that's $200!).
Anyway, constitutional issues aside, I don't have a problem in principle with spot checks. They're allowed for RIDE because the greater good outweighed the charter argument. If it's been demonstrated that groups of bikes/riders, or riders with significantly modified license plate mounts are often uninsured, or cause mayhem, then spot checks are ok. (until I get stopped too many times in a week).

There is no real solution to this, issue, if "kettling" were an option the Police in the US, would have done it many times by now. With the restrictions placed on officers nowadays, a copper isn't going to put his/her career in jeopardy, over these type of idiots. Better to let them crash and burn then to risk trying to stop them.

Not to mention the logistics of trying to have enough cruisers available to completely block a highway, (does anyone here really think it is beyond these idiots to turn around and ride in the wrong direction along a shoulder to escape)??

There may well be legislation enacted that if your caught with a plate flipping device or no plate, then the vehicle is subjected to forfeiture. Not like one could argue it violates their constitutional rights to have said device or no plate on a public road. Will also be made a strict liability offence, may also be tied to the vehicle owner, as opposed to having to prove who was riding the bike, (removes the need to identify the rider).

Media reports yesterday had officers saying besides recording the bikes they were also making notes of clothing and helmets etc worn by the riders. We may see officers, (for the bikes that had plates), sitting just up the block from their house, pull out with the same jacket and same helmet, bam your stopped and see you in court.

As for being "innocently caught up" in a group like this, the BEST option is if your riding along and a group such as this suddenly appears and encompasses you, simply slow down and pull over, let them pass, (that would take a few seconds, so your unlikely to be confused a being part of the group). I personally would remain stopped for about 5 minutes to ensure they have moved WELL away from my location so I don't get "caught up" as someone who "fell behind" and is just now rejoining the group.

The more likely response we will see will be insurance increases that will make riding a sport bike virtually unattainable for all. Then when they crash, not only do they lose the bike but they are ruined financially for the remainder of their life. Not having insurance will not be a barrier to not riding but if it happens cops will know virtually anyone riding a sport bike is riding dirty. May also see increased "scrutiny" from insurance investigators when you file a claim if riding a sport bike, (looking for mods to bikes and denying claims for unreported mods, unreported convictions etc etc). As someone said there is always more than one way to skin a cat...

There may well be legislation enacted that if your caught with a plate flipping device or no plate, then the vehicle is subjected to forfeiture. Not like one could argue it violates their constitutional rights to have said device or no plate on a public road. Will also be made a strict liability offence, may also be tied to the vehicle owner, as opposed to having to prove who was riding the bike, (removes the need to identify the rider).

Not trying to be a smartass, but what about scenarios where people had their plates stolen or fallen off without realizing it (I've seen plates on the side of the road before)? Or someone driving around something like a '94 Caprice that forgot to flip the plate back up after getting gas?

I mean, I know you're not even advocating such a law. I can easily imagine something like this actually happening though, and sloppy wording (e.g. HTA 172) is gonna catch up some people that were not doing anything nefarious.

The more likely response we will see will be insurance increases that will make riding a sport bike virtually unattainable for all. Then when they crash, not only do they lose the bike but they are ruined financially for the remainder of their life. Not having insurance will not be a barrier to not riding but if it happens cops will know virtually anyone riding a sport bike is riding dirty. May also see increased "scrutiny" from insurance investigators when you file a claim if riding a sport bike, (looking for mods to bikes and denying claims for unreported mods, unreported convictions etc etc). As someone said there is always more than one way to skin a cat...

Ugh. This is so believable I will just about expect it next year. It's already irritating enough to the point where mentioning something like that results in a 20 minute conversation to the broker to explain what the mod even is, and trying to convince them it is benign for insurance purposes. (I still don't understand why State Farm was cool with assigning value to an aftermarket exhaust, but not to a Corbin seat...)

New York state began motorcycle-specific checkpoints in part due to fleeing riders. Can't see why Toronto wouldn't do the same. There will be more Michael Bryants taking advantage of the useful idiots to further their careers and restrict our rights. Drones are likely in our future, not helicopters. You won't even know you've been followed until they impound the bike at Timmies.

Not trying to be a smartass, but what about scenarios where people had their plates stolen or fallen off without realizing it (I've seen plates on the side of the road before)? Or someone driving around something like a '94 Caprice that forgot to flip the plate back up after getting gas?

I mean, I know you're not even advocating such a law. I can easily imagine something like this actually happening though, and sloppy wording (e.g. HTA 172) is gonna catch up some people that were not doing anything nefarious.

Ugh. This is so believable I will just about expect it next year. It's already irritating enough to the point where mentioning something like that results in a 20 minute conversation to the broker to explain what the mod even is, and trying to convince them it is benign for insurance purposes. (I still don't understand why State Farm was cool with assigning value to an aftermarket exhaust, but not to a Corbin seat...)

Easy enough to check that your plate is affixed when you do your circle check. Call it in if it isn't.

I lost a plate once in a storm on the 401 from Cambridge to Toronto. Didn't notice until I went back out in the morning to ride back to Cambridge (to do demo riding for the MTO!). Still, had I been stopped - everything else is in order. All my signals were more than adequate (extra rears), stock pipe, valid insurance, clean record. While the officer may have been expecting more when he saw a sport bike with no plate (moving at traffic speed at 7:00 am on a Sunday), he would have encountered a respectful rider temporarily offside the law. Yes sir, I'm on my way to work. No sir, I couldn't take my car, I need the bike. Yes sir, I'm a trainer for the MTO - I recognize the irony. Thank you sir, I'll get a new plate on Monday.

Easy enough to check that your plate is affixed when you do your circle check. Call it in if it isn't.

How many people do this to their car? I'm gonna guess less than 1/100 of a percent in this province

I agree, they will just turn around on the road and go the opposite way.
Look at some videos from the US.

maan, totally shocked by what's going on, not

also brings attention to this public site , what it's about & what goes on here

Last edited:
59b3056b99f15c1e8a573ddd462ed8fcd5cb1dbe9514aa5519e23c66a2dd8f4c.jpg

OMG!!! LMAO!! Stupidos...

These guys obviously are running with no plates right? Id assume Cops would just have to scan em and wreck them later?

They have hideaways...the touch of a switch and BAM! Plate is tucked very nicely under your ***!!

Last edited:

Both of those scenarios are but a tiny percentage of likely reasons for someone driving without a plate, or a properly visible plate.

Something is going to happen if these clowns keep at it, the police were basically enbarassed by this and if anyone read the social media fallout...well, the public basically wants the police to knock them off their bikes and deal with the cleanup afterwards. Unfortunately you and I get lumped into that new public perception that all motorcyclists are now asshats..

Be it heavy handed legislation or overzealous enforcement and spot checks that is going to hassle EVERYONE unnecessarily...something is coming. And you can thank these goons for it overtime you get hassled now.

Both of those scenarios are but a tiny percentage of likely reasons for someone driving without a plate, or a properly visible plate.

Something is going to happen if these clowns keep at it, the police were basically enbarassed by this and if anyone read the social media fallout...well, the public basically wants the police to knock them off their bikes and deal with the cleanup afterwards. Unfortunately you and I get lumped into that new public perception that all motorcyclists are now asshats..

Be it heavy handed legislation or overzealous enforcement and spot checks that is going to hassle EVERYONE unnecessarily...something is coming. And you can thank these goons for it overtime you get hassled now.

i'd say that even with the public, they can easily tell the diff with ss styled bikes vs the rest,

it's mostly an ss styled biker issue and from my end, they alone support themselves, mainly thru this site

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sonduren

These guys obviously are running with no plates right? Id assume Cops would just have to scan em and wreck them later?
They have hideaways...the touch of a switch and BAM! Plate is tucked very nicely under your ***!!

the riders concerned, have a way of showin' their colors,

mess with the public, let alone cops & it is a one way losers dead end road

Last edited:
with the public, they can easily tell the diff with ss styled bikes vs the rest

Average Joe-Public sees two kinds of bikes.

"Harleys" and "crotch rockets". Anything that is cruiser style is a "harley", or a "hog".

Anything with any sort of body cladding (even a Ninja 150) is a "Crotch rocket".

They then draw conclusions accordingly based on learned stereotypes.

A lot of people think cruiser/hog/harley riders are all 1%'ers.
A lot of people think crotch rocket riders are all insane idiots with a deathwish.

Neither stereotype is correct nor deserved, but it is what it is, and segments of both populations often reinforce them, making the issue worse.

"Harleys" and "crotch rockets". Anything that is cruiser style is a "harley", or a "hog".

Anything with any sort of body cladding (even a Ninja 150) is a "Crotch rocket".

A lot of people think crotch rocket riders are all insane idiots with a deathwish.

Neither stereotype is correct nor deserved, but it is what it is, and segments of both populations often reinforce them, making the issue worse.
indeed

...and maybe adventure bikes. I always ride with my big aluminum panniers on and I'm not worried about being mistaken for a crotch rocket. I don't have pirate clothing either so don't fall into that category either.

...and maybe adventure bikes. I always ride with my big aluminum panniers on and I'm not worried about being mistaken for a crotch rocket. I don't have pirate clothing either so don't fall into that category either.

no doubt, lots of us have pretty much nothing to worry about, even just among bikers,

touring riders for another, iow, goldwings, deckers, long distance cruisers et al

Last edited:
Well the 94 Caprice scenario that is OEM equipment, with no other option to gain access to the filler pipe, so I am sure even the most power tripped officer could recognize that..lol Not to mention I have yet to see a 94 Caprice pulling wheelies on the 401..lol Just kidding. If someones plate fell off they would still have a registration that shows a plate assigned to that vehicle, (someone riding dirty likely hasn't registered the bike in their name to prevent, if they crashed and abandoned the bike it being traced back to them. I get what your saying, and I recognize your not being a smart ***, just asking reasonable arguments. Your right I am in NO way advocating for such legislation, just point out something is coming down the pipe for those who ride sport bikes, due to these idiots, and wannabe "stunters", (who give responsible riders and responsible stunters both a bad name in one fell swoop.

If legislation is written it most certainly WILL be written poorly, (in an attempt to cover every possible scenario), as is most legislation. Unfortunately, this also leaves the legislation open to abuse. But the vast majority of cops, don't abuse legislation, in totality it is a relatively low percentage that do, (not that that lessens the impact if your the one caught up in it).

Yes, and it will be a shame if someone with a "legit" claim gets denied because they happen to have an innocuous mod on their sport bike. But we as a community of riders, have in some ways ourselves to blame. It is HIGHLY probable that some members of this forum are the idiots doing this, or at the very least know those who are. We as a community, should at the bare minimum, (which thankfully seems thus far been the case), condemn these activities, at best, those who ride responsibly and want to continue to be able to own and ride a sport bike, should be ostracizing those they know are doing this and perhaps even be prepared to drop a dime, (it is YOUR ability to ride that they are jeopardizing).

Mark my words, it will take ONE of these idiots to wipe out either a single pedestrian or a single cager, (god forbid if a child is injured or killed), and the cries for "justice" will come long and loud and the legislature WILL react poorly and we will ALL be impacted.

It's funny, when I think of 1%er's I think of the amount of guys I see not riding like total f wads. .25% are on sport bikes the rest are on cruiser/touring bikes. I see nothing but jackasses that think they can do whatever they want because they have a fast bike. I remember when I rode on the street I felt the opposite way, I knew I could walk 99% of the cars I saw on the road and I didn't need to prove that to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom