Beware if you're around a Tesla | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beware if you're around a Tesla

Hmm...never considered that before...sort of a scary thought.

That said, isn't Tesla switching to using radar as primary and cameras as secondary? Not sure if this makes things better or worse for us, but a bike 'should' have enough metal in it to have a radar signature, I would think.

Damn Tesla! If the the company isn't murdering baby seals, they're murdering motorcyclists! To save everyone else the read, looks like Tesla's auto-pilot might not be able to detect motorcyclists. That's okay, they're probably working on it.... I'm still more worried about the inattentive driver than the auto-pilot.

Damn Tesla! If the the company isn't murdering baby seals, they're murdering motorcyclists! To save everyone else the read, looks like Tesla's auto-pilot might not be able to detect motorcyclists. That's okay, they're probably working on it.... I'm still more worried about the inattentive driver than the auto-pilot.

...but as they pointed out, a driver relying on that autopilot can easily BECOME the inattentive driver you're worried about. You may have seen that the MTO started a pilot project on January 1, 2016 for automated vehicles - "Automated Vehicles - Driving Innovation in Ontario"

I wonder; if we ask the Honourable Steven DeLuca about testing them with motorcycles, will there be a pilot project to ban motorcycles on roads where automated vehicles are allowed? After all, even if someone isn't actually driving the car, they could still be inconvenienced by a collision with a motorcyclist.

I have an Arduino prototype in development - detects a Tesla coming up behind you and deploys chaff...

Tesla's autopilot has failed to see transport trucks and crashed into them as a result of that. How do you expect it to see a motorcycle?

This "technology" should never have gotten into public hands. Distance keeping cruise control + automatic lane-keeping does not equal take your hands off the wheel and read a book. The collision-avoidance/prevention logic should have been implemented first. That's what other manufacturers are doing ... and why.

The adaptive cruise control in my Audi can detect motorcyclists just fine. I would like to think that the system used Teslas is as good, if not better.

Makes you wonder if the Auto Pilot in the Tesla was actually on, or if the driver was just using it as an excuse.

The adaptive cruise control in my Audi can detect motorcyclists just fine. I would like to think that the system used Teslas is as good, if not better.

Makes you wonder if the Auto Pilot in the Tesla was actually on, or if the driver was just using it as an excuse.

For all the hue and cry about vehicle navigation systems (notably GM OnStar) keeping track of your every move, Tesla does far more. The mother ship knows whether Autopilot was engaged or not.

There have been a number of cases in which Autopilot failed to respond properly when encountering an obstruction to the vehicle's path - notably a major collision in Florida a few months ago in which the Tesla driver-who-wasn't-really-driving was killed. In that case, the system failed to respond correctly to a transport truck that was crossing an intersection as the car approached.

Your Audi's system does not allow the driver to stop paying attention and read a book (or watch a movie, as it seems that the not-driver in the above situation was doing).

Tesla should never have called their system "autopilot" and they should have just used the mundane descriptive names that everyone else uses ... adaptive cruise control, and lane-keeping assistance. And they should have taken some technical measures to ensure that the driver is maintaining control of the vehicle, instead of just having words buried in the instructions somewhere.

Tesla's autopilot has failed to see transport trucks and crashed into them as a result of that. How do you expect it to see a motorcycle?

This "technology" should never have gotten into public hands. Distance keeping cruise control + automatic lane-keeping does not equal take your hands off the wheel and read a book. The collision-avoidance/prevention logic should have been implemented first. That's what other manufacturers are doing ... and why.

It failed to see the truck because of bright sun reflecting on the truck's shipping container's white surface, causing the camera to not correctly identify the vehicle. One would assume a motorcycle won't have similar surface area to that of a shipping container.

... and if it incorrectly identified that situation, what ELSE could it incorrectly identify?

If the software contained THAT error which was not caught, what OTHER errors does it contain?

The software was not adequately validated. The other manufacturers have the same hardware available to them but are putting YEARS of testing and validation into it because they know the consequences of the software making an error.

Elon Musk comes from the software industry where it seems commonplace to use the end user to do the validation. The consequence of a failure is that your game doesn't play or your computer crashes. Do that with a motor vehicle, and people get killed.

There's ample evidence that Musk either doesn't know what FMEA is, or knows what it is but doesn't heed its results.

I prefer to watch a movie or take a nap...just saying.:D

If it failed to see a M/C it could fail to see something that fell off a truck. Enjoy the refrigerator hood ornament.

The pace of advancing computer technology has yet to match the advances made in moronity.

If Trump can make up words so can I.

I suspect transportation is moving to a transponder system as on aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision_avoidance_system

This one is small

440px-PCAS_Xrx.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_collision_avoidance_system

Talking to a few people on Facebook who have Telsas/have driven them, apparently the radar and camera system does pick up bikes...so not sure what happened here. Apparently it shows any vehicle around it on the dash screen, including bikes.

IMHO. I do not trust anybody. Never mind a driverless car. I think most of us think the same.

The transponder system is called V2V. It cannot function in isolation because there are plenty of hazards that won't have a transponder. Pedestrians, bicycles, "legacy" vehicles, object that fell off a truck, deer, moose, you name it.

The Autopilot recently got pretty bad rep in Germany due to a collision .... rumor is that the new Autopilot update comes AP off by default. I suspect other jurisdictions will follow. It's just a matter of time.

Wait for Model 3 ... a lot of guinea pigs will be used by Tesla (not just for the car beta testing, which they already acknowledged, but also for the v2.0 AP ... I am sure).

I love how innovative the company is, and how Elon is not scared to take chances, but cannot stand how cocky they are, particularly as far as AP and how ministry of transportation lets them (yet the same ministry doesn't allow any car manufacturer to replace side view mirrors with camera .... it's almost like a double standard ... or extra love for the US based company, eh?)

You know Google could throw 20bil. bucks at their autonomous car development using every expensive radar setup combo and yet they still will admit they are not there yet. Here comes Tesla, claiming he can make it work with not exactly expensive (no LIDAR) sensor setup and software only. Yeah, ok .....

Last edited:
IMHO. I do not trust anybody. Never mind a driverless car. I think most of us think the same.

Right, but this is not about who "we" do not trust, the huge concern we cannot control is "what is Tesla or other autonomous car behind me doing or rather not doing" in traffic?

Although, just the other day, Bloomberg published a piece which disagrees ... http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ll-be-the-best-thing-to-happen-to-motorcycles

It's not like I don't believe the car's AI will be great in the future, sure it will, but let's say 20 years from now or so .... it will take a long while and until then ... I suggest all AI driven cars should be flashing red or something .... so I can speed far away from them.

Excellent idea. Flashing red caution lights. They will be treated like the Plague. Certainly by me.

Hoes would insurance work?
If the AI car crashes who does the insurance go after?
Tesla? You were not driving they were.

Interesting, lol

We can't even secure power plants and other important things that rely on tech....some 12 year old kid will hack these cars and cause chaos for fun.

Back
Top Bottom