IT/Computer Geeks - What do you suggest for this? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

IT/Computer Geeks - What do you suggest for this?

Raid 1, supported by a hardware controller is the way to go which was already mentioned. If you don't have a hardware controller, windows can do a software raid for you, at least Windows 2000 did. A google search suggests this should still be possible in newer versions. Its worked since day 1 on my own server so I've never changed it.

I've never had consistent success with a software bakup solution

Storage Spaces (for Win 8+) and spanned/striped/mirrored volumes (Win 7-older) don't work on system disks

Storage Spaces (for Win 8+) and spanned/striped/mirrored volumes (Win 7-older) don't work on system disks

@twisted
can you look at this video 3 min
looks like Windows does it (Win10PRo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkNuzkKsn7Y

Also this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyJjo-YmA5w

Can you verify this will mirror each other and if 1 drive dies I can boot up with the other one.
I verified yesterday my laptop will bootup from the hard drive in the dvd slot (booted up my old win7)

Uhhhh... okay, I was not aware it will now convert a system disk from simple to dynamic like that. It looks like it would work. Booting from a dynamic disk gives me the heebee jeebies (Microsoft used to say don't do it) but it seems like it should be fine? As long you as you definitely only have one bootable partition, though.

The 2 vids are contradictory. One says you can mirror the boot partition and the other says not to. One way to find out.

Uhhhh... okay, I was not aware it will now convert a system disk from simple to dynamic like that. It looks like it would work. Booting from a dynamic disk gives me the heebee jeebies (Microsoft used to say don't do it) but it seems like it should be fine? As long you as you definitely only have one bootable partition, though.

Windows always installs boot on partition 1 and makes itself first.
I only have Win10 on this.

Win10 seems solid but minor bug since I updated to anniversary edition update...when laptop goes to sleep it will not resume.
Bios up to date, common problem for others.

Overall this OS is clean and easy to use ( I use the classic start menu option).

There are so many things that can break resume from sleep. Bad BIOS implementation of something (lots of wonky UEFI firmware still out there), broken power management in drivers (most common), bad hardware implementation (rare for CPUs and chipsets, usually only in peripherals), even just RAM that doesn't work well in sleep. If it only started with Windows 10, it's probably a driver problem

all 1607 updates having sleep issues?

not sure, just seems something in that is causing the issue.
my bios is up to date
as I said, laptop worked fine BEFORE the update

They will find a fix for it shortly.

Win10 would be great on a flip laptop (touch screen).

@twisted and RB

I was about to mirror drives then noticed I have to make Drive C dynamic.
I looked at other videos and read a article stating that if you mirror drive C the laptop MIGHT not boot up.

Why wouldn't it boot up? The Bios states boot order.

How about idea 2?

I clone the drive C to D then I use something like Macrium or Acronis (Or Win 10 backup tools) to keep D drive in synch with C drive...running some kinda of Delta backup. Any ideas??? It has to backup EVERYTHING from C over to D.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/accidentally-marked-drive-c-active.html

If anything, I'd clone the OS to a small drive and put it somewhere safe. Then have the sync backup the D partion/drive automatically. That way your data is backed up separately and the OS is cloned somewhere and you can clone it back to a larger drive when/if you need it.

But the issue is when/if I add progs to my C partition or Windows updates etc... the clone drive in the closet would be 'old'. I would have to clone monthly perhaps...Maybe clone the C partition to a file and save it to the D drive (make a partition on D for the image only).

My C drive has 2 partitions (3 if we count the 100mb for Windows).
C is Win 10 and my apps
D is data/files/music/storage/google drive sync etc...

I would have to setup Disk 2 which is larger to mimic Drive C partition 2 and keep the partition 1 on disk 2 to clone back the image to.
That might be the best solution. If the SSD drive fails or I have some major OS failure/virus then I simply 'unzip' the cloned image back to drive 2 partition 1 and I am ready to go.

*My important data is kept in GDrive and my NAS cloud sync folder that sync to my NAS.
My NAS has 2 disks (mirrored).

So what do you guys think?

I think that's a better idea. You can use the built-in Backup & Restore utility to schedule creating an image of Disk 1 on a regular basis. Though if you have an NAS, using that as a target for the image backup would be even better (File History can also use network storage as a target)

I think that's a better idea. You can use the built-in Backup & Restore utility to schedule creating an image of Disk 1 on a regular basis. Though if you have an NAS, using that as a target for the image backup would be even better (File History can also use network storage as a target)

Ok I think I have a plan.
I like your idea of the Windows built in image backup.
I will not backup across directly to NAS, slow and possibly corruption (wifi).
I will setup partition 3 on disk 2 (the image partition) to have it's own cloud sync with the NAS. Same as your idea but the image will be faster and it can then take it's time to syn to NAS...if it fails I will be alerted.

Great, this way I have max uptime and my data is always ready to go.

* Do you know if Windows image tool will mark teh image with system bios info therefore I can ONLY reimage back onto the SAME laptop.
I read somewhere I think Macrium or Acronis Basic marks the image...maybe it's Windows.

**slick trick...I use my external HD to store images and boot via USB to SARDU then use the parted magic option to boot up and run clonezilla also.
Now I can connect the external to my NAS and it will autocopy the image to my SARDU folder. Simple bootup from my USB external and ready to go.

JoeBass is probably saying WTF are they talking about, lol

I am not very familiar with Acronis products, so I can't say for sure they wouldn't do that (maybe to encourage you to not use home products for enterprise purposes). I don't think Macrium does anything like that. I don't think Windows would do it, because it would be redundant to Windows Product Activation. Either way, Windows itself will become deactivated if you restored it to a different computer. If it is a retail version of Windows, you will probably be able to get the license transferred.

@twisted and RB

I was about to mirror drives then noticed I have to make Drive C dynamic.
I looked at other videos and read a article stating that if you mirror drive C the laptop MIGHT not boot up.

Why wouldn't it boot up? The Bios states boot order.

How about idea 2?

I clone the drive C to D then I use something like Macrium or Acronis (Or Win 10 backup tools) to keep D drive in synch with C drive...running some kinda of Delta backup. Any ideas??? It has to backup EVERYTHING from C over to D.
bios determines boot device

https://neosmart.net/wiki/mbr-boot-process/

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Last edited:
I've cloned drives(W7 Ultimate) to put into different PCs, but they were usually mostly the same spec hardware. Sometimes it works going into different hardware(clone of IBM into a Dell), but I don't usually do it on purpose.

I've never restored an image backup of the OS back to the C drive, so can't say if it works successfully if the original OS dies and won't recover/start the PC. I just clone the whole drive every month or so and unplug it. If it dies, I swap the primary and "slave" cable, recover the new data and re-clone. I'm not usually adding new apps, but when I do I run a clone anyways. Granted there's down time during cloning, but I do it when I'm not going to be using that particular PC. SARDU option sounds promising though.

Back
Top Bottom