highway thru hell strikes early | GTAMotorcycle.com

highway thru hell strikes early

I have only ridden there once and that was in mid summer.
Will the snow melt over the next few days or is this the official start of winter?

I was in osoyoos/kelowna 2nd and 3rd week of september last year and the weather for riding was great.The year before in 2014 calgary got a huge snowstorm in early september(not sure about bc) and I think I remember reading about a rider on here who had to ship his bike back here because of that weather(he was going going to ride cross country ?)what a bummer.....saw the tfx motorcycle transport dude on highway 3 last year out there coming east on my way back...so yeahweather is a role of the dice out their always

According the the highway cams as of this morning looks like most of the snow is gone The very first time i went thru there it was on my CBR250R
i had in 2012.
It was at the end of May, was not too warm down in Hope .. around 14C but was probably 5C up on the "hill". There was still snow off on the sides of the road.

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/688.html

really like the drive bc highway cams. They cover just about everywhere. I use them all the time to check road conditions.

Last edited:
... weather is a role of the dice out their always
That's for sure. Even in August. I hit snow heading east from Rogers Pass one August. Not as bad as the photo in OP, but enough that I pulled over in Lake Louise, ordered two coffees, and held one in each hand until my fingers thawed. Never thought I should pack my warmer gloves for an August tour.

While I saw a lot of beautiful places and things one thing I don't miss from my trucking days is the unexpected surprises driving in B.C. during the winter.

Sometimes wrecks would be left for weeks at a time just like this one:

I was stuck here for almost a day. All of us just with our brakes on. At least I had a bunk to chill out in and lots of hear. I felt bad for the regular motorists.

Full respect to the men and women who still go through these passes week after week getting goods to and from the the west coast for us. A very, very underappreciated profession.

Back
Top Bottom