Learning to wheelie... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Learning to wheelie...

Hey guys. I've been watching lots of youtube videos and reading articles about wheeling and how to get started with it. I'm not looking to do mile long wheelies, just get the wheel up a couple feet and drop it back down.

I guess i have step 1 down, I am comfortable doing wheelies on bicycles :D but other than that, not much experience.

I have a sv650 (naked model) and i've been able to get up the front wheel about a foot doing 1st gear power wheelies. Everyone I talk to says you should be starting with clutch ups (probably in 2nd) but i find them very sketchy.

Any recommendations?
Im making it a personal goal to have you to wheelie through at least one gear this year haha

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I would not recommend trying to wheelie an SV.

Doing so starves the motor of oil and can cause engine damage as the oil pump pick up is at the front of the pan.

Doing so starves the motor of oil and can cause engine damage as the oil pump pick up is at the front of the pan.

I watched a V-Max die a horrible, smokey death after an admittedly impressive wheelie. Pretty embarrassing with 50+ people watching.

Most bikes have oil starvation problems at 12 oclock or past it. My 2013 ZX6R stunt bike the oil pressure light comes on as soon as I get close to 12. And I've blown my fair share of engines due to oil starvation causing me to spin rod bearings in cylinder #1. I have blown 5 motors since getting into stunting

For some bikes they make an oil pickup mod, its basically a piece of sheet metal that goes between your oil pan and engine cases. It blocks off half the oil pan, so that when the bike is in a wheelie it does not allow all the oil in the pan to flow to the back of the engine where the oil pick up can't get to it.
F4i-Oil-Pan-Gasket.jpg

Most of us just overfill the oil to try and combat this problem, I always put in the full 4L of oil personally, the spec is only 3.6L

And as with most things damage really gets done with high RPM, if you keep the revs down they can take much more

Not really concerned. Any wheelies I'm going to do are going to be babies on this thing. Probably <3-5 seconds.

So did you get it up yet?

Back
Top Bottom