How to purchase a motorcycle? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to purchase a motorcycle?

buying a motorcycle can be a nerve racking thing for people who do not know much about mototrcycles.
There are a lot of things that need to be checked, as well as a test ride.
If the owner does not let me test ride it, I walk away.
Sure, if I wreck the bike, I have to buy it, but I would NEVER EVER buy a bike I have not ridden.

There are so many things that should be checked, mechanically.
If you are going to buy a bike and you don't know much about them, bring a friend who does.
I have offered my services to many members on this page.

I have seen some stinkers, listed as "MINT"
When, not one thing is MINT.

Be careful.

To end this thread let me state that the removal of the tailgate was probably a precaution more than a requirement. If you own your own truck and maintain it then great, however he was dealing with a rental that:

1) are commercial vehicles that are used daily for transporting goods
2) have more wear and tear than your personal truck that are most of the time have an empty bed
3) there could be a lack of maintenance from the company in maintaining the vehicle
4) any damage and you're on the hook for the deductible ($500 - $1000)

You could load a bike on the tailgate a dozen times but is it worth that one time that it fails?

I quickly skimmed through two owner manuals for a 2015 F150 and ram 1500, all they state is that the tailgate should not have more than 150lbs on it when in motion....

/end thread

Last edited:
End thread???

Did God just leave you in charge?

This was the original question:

In the above scenario, would you trust loading a motorcycle up a ramp onto the tailgate of a "rental" truck? Keep in mind, there could be a 500 pound bike + 2 "full size" adults at ~200 pounds each totaling 900 pounds on the tailgate.

Just about everyone replied, "it'll be fine".

But it seems you have more experience on the matter, so why even bother asking in the first place?

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.
As an added option, there are many people on this board, as well as advertising on kijiji that will transport a bike for a nominal fee.

Actually quite observant on your part imo. I'm willing to bet people miss that and take the tailgate off then get dinged with an added charge.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

noticing there is no tp before sitting down on the can - now thats observant

Back
Top Bottom