How to purchase a motorcycle? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to purchase a motorcycle?

I never take the tailgate off to load my bikes into my truck. On newer truck the tailgate isnt so easy to remove there is wiring in there now for cameras and locks. The risk of damage is probably higher in removing the tailgate and possibly dropping it or having it fall and get scratched then just leaving it on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The keyword here is "my truck", not a "rental" truck. I'm sure you maintain your truck and keep it in good shape. These rental companies don't maintain their vehicles. The last truck that was rented had barely any oil in it.

How many rental trucks have rear view cameras?

Last edited:
You can rent a pick up from enterprise for $45/day and a u haul bike trailer for $15/day.
Easiest / best option

We should create poll to determine how many members on this forum have rented a pickup truck and a trailer from two different companies to transport their bike.

Maybe we should create a thread where we ask a question, answer it ourselves, then snipe at anyone else who contributes. Oops! Repoman already did. Job well done.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Maybe we should create a thread where we ask a question, answer it ourselves, then snipe at anyone else who contributes. Oops! Repoman already did. Job well done.

Well, he IS the Repoman.

I updated post # 2 with the answers from posts provided. So others may find this information much easier, after all that is what a helpful forum is for.

It will also help other people with knowing what odd protocols some rental companies have... forbid from removing the tailgate.

Last edited:
How will the rental company know you removed the tailgate?
You planning to tell them?

I've personally never had the rental company do that thourough an inspection pre, or post rental.
99% of the time I'm the one pointing out defects to them...

Vans are quite difficult to source. The rental companies don't know when their vehicles are being returned so they wont accept a reservation. They apparently have a dozen or two vans and trucks which are rented daily. One of the service reps mentioned that companies rent their trucks for the full year. So you could purchase a van for $15,000 used or rent one for about the same cost for a full year.

You're joking right? I've rented a van about 20 times this summer for races and track days. I should be sponsored by Discount Cars ;)

August and September apparently are busy months. Go figure.

Pro tip...call them (Discount) and tell them you want to set up a corporate account. You don't need to have a business. As a corporate account holder you are guaranteed availability with 48 hours advanced notice.

Upon the initial inspection of the vehicle, the cables had tape around them. Would you not inquire further?
Actually quite observant on your part imo. I'm willing to bet people miss that and take the tailgate off then get dinged with an added charge.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I've personally never had the rental company do that thourough an inspection pre, or post rental.
99% of the time I'm the one pointing out defects to them...
To their advantage not to. When the vehicle comes back, they can blame you (read: charge) for anything that wasn't pointed out on the original inspection.
I bring my wife with me for those. She spots everything. Last time we had a cube van, guy just said eff it, circled the whole truck (cause she pointed out so many things) and said just bring it back in one piece! Lol.

**they've always done a full post inspection, that's why we started doing the extra in depth pre inspection **

Last edited:
A friend attempted to rent a 1500 series pickup truck with an 8' bed. The rental company forbid the renter from removing the tailgate to load his items in the truck. Apparently, the truck is capable of carrying a payload of several thousand pounds, however they may not remove tailgate to load their items.

In the above scenario, would you trust loading a motorcycle up a ramp onto the tailgate of a "rental" truck? Keep in mind, there could be a 500 pound bike + 2 "full size" adults at ~200 pounds each totaling 900 pounds on the tailgate.

If the tailgate were to get damaged they wanted the $1000 deductible.

1/2 ton =1000lbs
3/4 ton=1500lbs
payload includes passengers/drivers. do not try to carry several thousand pounds

1/2 ton =1000lbs
3/4 ton=1500lbs
payload includes passengers/drivers. do not try to carry several thousand pounds

These are exact conversions from tons to lbs. That's a red flag right there. Nothing is ever what it logically should be in the world of commerce. These trucks are sold and rented amirite. I was looking at a British caravan forum. Apparently the exact same vehicle over there as over here has huge difference in towing capacity. That's one example. The other is the much maligned 2"x4" stick of spruce. The numbers don't jive. I could dredge up more examples but I think you get the picture.

Actually quite observant on your part imo. I'm willing to bet people miss that and take the tailgate off then get dinged with an added charge.

and what would the extra charge be for? taking off tape? then, if you are worried about it lol put tape back on. easier to use a $15 rental trailer and borrow a car with trailer hitch. what a dumb thread..

These are exact conversions from tons to lbs. That's a red flag right there. Nothing is ever what it logically should be in the world of commerce. These trucks are sold and rented amirite. I was looking at a British caravan forum. Apparently the exact same vehicle over there as over here has huge difference in towing capacity. That's one example. The other is the much maligned 2"x4" stick of spruce. The numbers don't jive. I could dredge up more examples but I think you get the picture.
yes people put more than the legal weight in their pickups without issue - but several thousand pounds?
put several thousand pounds in your pickup (3000lbs+) and send me a pic. of it for a laugh

Back
Top Bottom