Buyers Role:
1) See motorcycle
2) Review UVIP
3) Review Safety certificate
4) Provide cash
5) Transport
6) Register/Insurance

Notes:
It’s an offence under the Highway Traffic Act to sell the following used vehicles without a used information package:

• car
  • van
  • light truck (gross weight of 3,000 kilograms or less)
  • self-propelled motor home
  • motorcycle

Reference:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/used-veh...mation-package

Last edited:
1. The hardest step. Finding the motorcycle you want.
2. When you go to see the bike, ask to see the Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP).
This will tell you if the current owner actually owns the bike. There may be liens against it because he still owes the bank money.
It will also tell you the status and history of the bike. Has it ever had a status other than fit. It may have been in a collision and was rebuilt.
3. Everything checks out. Arrange for insurance and go to Service Ontario for temp plate so you can ride it home.
Get the current owner to sign the transfer section of the ownership
4. Get it safetied and get a permanent plate for it.
5. Enjoy the open road.

There are motorcycles like those used only on racetracks or on dirt trails and never ridden on the road that don't have an ownership because they aren't licenced.
It is possible they may not qualify to ride on the roads.

There are a number of factors that would constitute a "red flag" when buying any vehicle.
The person selling it doesn't have an ownership for it.
The ownership is not in the name of the person selling it.
No UVIP.

I'm certain others will respond with more.

Last edited:
Who should purchase the UVIP?

If it's the seller, when theoretically should a seller purchase the UVIP?

Who should purchase the UVIP?

If it's the seller, when theoretically should a seller purchase the UVIP?
Within 30 days imo
Make sure every page is there. Some sellers have been known to lose the last page with the lien info.
For $20 get the VIN and get your own uvip. That way you know you have the latest info

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

The seller must purchase and provide the UVIP. Theoretically, the seller should purchase the UVIP once they decide to sell their vehicle.

As per the MTO website:

It’s an offence under the Highway Traffic Act to sell the following used vehicles without a used information package:

• car
  • van
  • light truck (gross weight of 3,000 kilograms or less)
  • self-propelled motor home
  • motorcycle

Reference:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/used-vehicle-information-package

A friend attempted to rent a 1500 series pickup truck with an 8' bed. The rental company forbid the renter from removing the tailgate to load his items in the truck. Apparently, the truck is capable of carrying a payload of several thousand pounds, however they may not remove tailgate to load their items.

In the above scenario, would you trust loading a motorcycle up a ramp onto the tailgate of a "rental" truck? Keep in mind, there could be a 500 pound bike + 2 "full size" adults at ~200 pounds each totaling 900 pounds on the tailgate.

If the tailgate were to get damaged they wanted the $1000 deductible.

Last edited:
^^^ rent a van?

Rent pick up truck, rent a u haul bike trailer for $15.
Problem solved.

^^^ rent a van?

Vans are quite difficult to source. The rental companies don't know when their vehicles are being returned so they wont accept a reservation. They apparently have a dozen or two vans and trucks which are rented daily. One of the service reps mentioned that companies rent their trucks for the full year. So you could purchase a van for $15,000 used or rent one for about the same cost for a full year.

You can rent a pick up from enterprise for $45/day and a u haul bike trailer for $15/day.
Easiest / best option

I've loaded many bikes with the tailgate on, at no point will the full weight of the bike and two people be on it. I've never had a failure doing this, and one of those bikes was a 1200 goldwing.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

The rental companies don't know when their vehicles are being returned so they wont accept a reservation.

I would hate to be the person in charge of maintaining that budget. You don't know what condition the vehicle gets returned in but just factor in a new vehicle annually.... :)

You loan a vehicle out without knowing when it's going to be returned? Which company was this, i have to rent from them? There would be no late fees just an additional day of rent.

Last edited:
I've loaded many bikes with the tailgate on, at no point will the full weight of the bike and two people be on it. I've never had a failure doing this, and one of those bikes was a 1200 goldwing.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Was this a "rental" vehicle? If it was, you took a chance knowing that it "could" cost you $1000 for the deductible plus the cost of repairs for your bike?

Last edited:
I would hate to be the person in charge of maintaining that budget. You don't know what condition the vehicle gets returned in but just factor in a new vehicle annually.... :)

You loan a vehicle out without knowing when it's going to be returned? Which company was this, i have to rent from them? There would be no late fees just an additional day of rent.

I wont say the name (not yet at least), but it was one of the large well known companies.

I never take the tailgate off to load my bikes into my truck. On newer truck the tailgate isnt so easy to remove there is wiring in there now for cameras and locks. The risk of damage is probably higher in removing the tailgate and possibly dropping it or having it fall and get scratched then just leaving it on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom