Next track day tire after the Dunlop Q3 that doesn’t necessarily need tire warmers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Next track day tire after the Dunlop Q3 that doesn’t necessarily need tire warmers

Xrayhonda

Just looking to see what’s out there with respect to Track Day Tires that don’t necessarily need warmers. Currently running Dunlop Q3 on a 2011 1000rr ABS dedicated track bike, I'll be moving up to intermediate group next year. I’m very happy with the Q3, just wanted to see what else is out there.

Just looking to see what’s out there with respect to Track Day Tires that don’t necessarily need warmers. Currently running Dunlop Q3 on a 2011 1000rr ABS dedicated track bike, I'll be moving up to intermediate group next year. I’m very happy with the Q3, just wanted to see what else is out there.

I am thinking of replacing my current Michelin Pilot Power 3's with the Dunlop Q3. How long do these tires last you? Do they warm up quick?

This tire will be used for both the street and track.

giphy.gif

Lots of variables with respect to how long the Q3 will last, for example, riding style, type of bike, track surface, are you smooth with the throttle, tire pressure etc. For me they lasted for about 12 track day over two years. The last 2 track day the rear came loose which was very nerve rattling or should I say it scared the s#%# out of me .lol
After two laps they were warm enough for me to ride at 90%, my pace that is. Moving to intermediate next year once I’m happy with my trail braking.
It’s a great tire and you won’t go wrong with it.

Honestly, if you can afford to buy warmers then pick up a set. Lots of people selling off stuff over the winter if you're patient and checking on kijiji etc...
I rode on pilot power 3's for a few days then moved up to dunlop gpa's and warmers.
Made a huge improvement in grip, confidence and lap times.
Well worth the investment.

If your tires are lasting 12 track days you may have a hard time keeping heat in a proper track tire. I'm not saying don't try them but just be aware that you may end up loosing traction as your session goes on.

My old S20's were lasting 5 days or so including a flip. They were definitely losing grip on the 5th day. At that point I moved to warmers and race scrubs (GPA's for the most part) and couldn't be happier.

Agree 100% with Dricked - if your Q3's are lasting 12 days, warmers and tires as such likely will have a negative influence as they will cool off during your sessions.

For the OP - other tires besides the Q3 are the Bridgestone S21, Avon 3D Ultra Sport, Continental Sport Attack 2 or 3, Metzler Interact K3 or M7RR... Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa... the list goes on...

Totally agree with you. My tire choices for next year are the Dunlop Q3, the Pirelli Superbike Pro or any other tire better than the Q3 that doesn’t need tire warmers. Twelve track day on one set of tires over two years is quite a lot, lol, but at my current pace, the Q3 would not last twelve track days; I’m a bit faster than when I started two years ago. lol.

Must have missed the part about getting 12 days of use out of a set of tires...
You would def have issues keeping enoough heat in a "track" tire at that pace.

Totally agree with you. My tire choices for next year are the Dunlop Q3, the Pirelli Superbike Pro or any other tire better than the Q3 that doesn’t need tire warmers. Twelve track day on one set of tires over two years is quite a lot, lol, but at my current pace, the Q3 would not last twelve track days; I’m a bit faster than when I started two years ago. lol.

If you're up for it, the Bridgestone RS10 sounds ideal for you. It's not a tire with a lot of longevity, but supposed to get incredible grip. I haven't ridden them, but from what the Bridgestone website and reviews have mentioned, it's an in-between street and track. Bridgestone discontinued the R10, increased the centre compound hardness and re-released them as the RS10.

3-4 track days at a solid intermediate pace (top 20% of yellow pace) would likely be the limit for them. Anything less would be 4-5 days before being completely done.

I'd say the Q3 are pretty much as sticky as you'll get in the street tire class. Pirelli Supercorsas I've heard are a bit better but expensive. The Q3 lasts me about 4 bogie track days at intermediate pace. Hot temps set to ~31 front and 29 rear. Next up would be DOT tires. The D211 can be run without warmers.

Yeah I was going to say supercorsas, not much else really before you move up to a dedicated track tire.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

if your just moving up to the intermediate pace, and you have your bikes suspension/handling set-up and working well with Q3's (yes?), would it make sense to keep using Q3's?

Last edited:
I am thinking of replacing my current Michelin Pilot Power 3's with the Dunlop Q3. How long do these tires last you? Do they warm up quick?

This tire will be used for both the street and track.

They warm up very quickly which is one of the things I love about them. 1 to 1.5 laps on a warm track and they feel good to go (depending on the track and other variables). Sometimes I even start pushing halfway through the outlap.

If you're up for it, the Bridgestone RS10 sounds ideal for you. It's not a tire with a lot of longevity, but supposed to get incredible grip. I haven't ridden them, but from what the Bridgestone website and reviews have mentioned, it's an in-between street and track. Bridgestone discontinued the R10, increased the centre compound hardness and re-released them as the RS10.

3-4 track days at a solid intermediate pace (top 20% of yellow pace) would likely be the limit for them. Anything less would be 4-5 days before being completely done.

Can also vouch for the rs10, one of my buddy's run it on a litre and his 675 and rides red group without warmers. From his judgement, typically 3-4 trackdays longetivity. Sticky and predictable slides

Back
Top Bottom