1976 Yamaha DT400 Build - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1976 Yamaha DT400 Build

Re: 1976 Yamaha DT400 Build

So I pulled the DT engine cause it won't shift.

Yay fun

Fiddled with the trans, it shifted fine through all gears with the case halves split

Put it together and nope, won't change gear. Same as before.

I made pleas on the yamaha enduro forum as well as the tech section here. Hopefully someone will tell me I'm an idiot and show me why. In the mean time, I'm gonna remove the left side crank bearing so I can put the case halves together easily to try to trouble shoot.
    '08 naked GS500 with many many mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackandslash View Post
    Tricky may be my father

Re: 1976 Yamaha DT400 Build

The culprit was the stopper bolt, parts 9 through 12. It helps the shift drum stay in gear. The assembly was so gummed up that the stopper was stuck, and wouldn't allow the shift drum to rotate at all.

I popped it in the vise to compress the stopper down. This photo was taken after I compressed the spring. I used a small socket to compress it even farther, at which point when I released it from the vise the assembly came free. I was able to clean it up and reinstall it, and the bike seems to shift fine now.

I removed the left side crank bearing to troubleshoot this issue, so now I have to permanently join the case halves (for hopefully the last time).

The stopper sits here on the bottom of the engine. Until today, I just assumed it was some sort of drain plug and didn't give it a second thought. Now I know!
    '08 naked GS500 with many many mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackandslash View Post
    Tricky may be my father