Looking for misc info on Parry Sound and Skoka | GTAMotorcycle.com

Looking for misc info on Parry Sound and Skoka

SLIM

Site Supporter
So now that i've got a touring bike and a cruiser I can post here, right? :p

I've been doing a little bit of research and i'm looking for any little updates with regards to roads between, say, Hunstville and North Bay, from Algonquin to the Bay.

My (loose) plan for 2017 is to buy a camping trailer, leave it "up North somewhere" (maybe RV/campground around Huntsville?) and use that as my HQ. I'd be riding weekdays(/nights?) only, not on the weekends. On the maps everything looks great, but that really doesn't say much, and numerous threads are several years old, so info from 3 or 4 years ago is only so valid.

Also, given the area, would one expect to see lots of trucks (big rigs/18-wheelers)? What would one find up in that area in the first place? I just remember going to other people's cottages when I was a kid, so ... nice memories, but not much help in the planning department.

I'm tempted to make a weekday/2-day trip up there sometime this month to scope out potential campgrounds and such, but i'm not sure it'll happen (might have to be a cage thing at that). Anything I should be aware of this time of year traveling up that way? (ie don't drive through FOTC on weekends right now because it's a parking lot-type stuff)

As always ... PATIA! :)

Lots of fun roads in that area. Not many trucks at all, except on the 400/69 and 11.

watch out for wet leaves, deer and bears on the road at this time of year. the roads might be damp and the leaves will be slippery.

Lots of fun roads in that area. Not many trucks at all, except on the 400/69 and 11.

And on Peterson/Elephant lake Road!

A full-sized transport almost took me out on that road back in July.
The guy took 1-1/2 lanes of a corner and almost flipped the thing correcting his turn.

Not. Expected.
But that's what we have to be ready for I guess...

Rob

Expect the unexpected, around every corner, and be prepared for anything and everything, even an old kitchen sink...it COULD happen! Okay, maybe not a real elephant on Elephant Lake Road, but be aware and wary.

Just went for a Sunday drive up through there. Up to North Bay around the top of the lake. Hwy 535 from Hagar south was a really nice ride. Looking back at the map now route 64 from Verner might have been even better. I'll just have to go see... It's probably because everyone was having turkey weekend, but traffic was light most of the way.

Also hwy 141 through Rosseau and Bent river was awesome. It was starting to get dark and cold and I was tired by then, not the best way to be when following the twisties, but definitely work another look.

I haven't been there lately but 118 west and hwy 169 make for a nice loop trip.

I'd also like to ride the Torrance Barrens again, but that may not be an ideal ride; very twisty with sandy shoulders and blind corners.

I just reread your initial post; a cbr 125 is a touring bike right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom