Time to get back on the road! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Time to get back on the road!

Goku

Hello fellow riders,

I have been riding for the past 12 years now, but I'm new to the riding scene here in Canada. I recently gave my M1 knowledge test (Aug 2016) and gave a M2 Exit test (Sept 2016) and currently hold a full M license (Thank god my previous riding experience came in handy).

I'm currently looking for a bike (motorcycle), and am contemplating whether I should buy I now or wait for early spring deals to come up. I have done a bit of research but it's all seems a bit of an economic play. Anyone who wishes to shed some light on the right time of purchase (say a used Honda Shadow 750/Suzuki Katana 650/Kawasaki Versys 650/Yamaha V star 650), please feel free to comment!

Having said that, I just thought it would be nice to introduce myself on this forum and I hope to meet all of you guys.....sometime...somewhere.... I live in downtown Toronto so if you guys are around and want to grab a beer, feel free to message and we'll catch up.

Godspeed!

Gourav Kumar (GoKu)

Last edited:
Welcome to gtam ... it all depends on how bad you want to ride at this very moment. Having said that....for me although today was pretty impressive there is a month at best left of consistent double digit daytime highs so for me I would wait and buy over the winter and save a few bucks.

All the bikes in your potential list can be had for a reasonable price and insurance should not be too bad.
Hope it all works out for ya and maybe see ya round.

Welcome. Any time between now and end of winter is when used bikes are cheapest. Middle of winter is probably ideal in terms of price but if you want to test ride it then fall is probably more realistic.

If you're buying new then I can't help you there as I've always bought used bikes. Good luck

Welcome to the forum and the GTA. If you're looking for deals now and b/w the dead of winter is the time. Once people put their bikes in storage they may end up keeping them until spring to try and sell them for top dollar. In Toronto, bike prices have a magic tendency of staying high and not coming down with age/condition/etc, especially in the spring! You might have a good month left of riding, depending on how tolerant you are of cold and rain. Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome to gtam ... it all depends on how bad you want to ride at this very moment. Having said that....for me although today was pretty impressive there is a month at best left of consistent double digit daytime highs so for me I would wait and buy over the winter and save a few bucks.

All the bikes in your potential list can be had for a reasonable price and insurance should not be too bad.
Hope it all works out for ya and maybe see ya round.

Thanks guys....
I was actually doing the math on this. ** Yes, I am a consultant and I love maths :D **
i checked with the insurers and my insurance would come around $2200 per year (so, say $180 per month). In case I purchase a bike now and not riding until April, my opportunity cost would be $1080 in insurance + $250-300 in storage. That's like ~ $1400 and I haven't even ridden the bike yet.

So, in your experience, do the prices rise by $1400 cometh spring. Coz, if not, in my case I should just sit and wait...... what do you all think?

Godspeed!

Goku

You could also just wait to insure it in the spring if you buy it over the winter.

Thanks guys....
I was actually doing the math on this. ** Yes, I am a consultant and I love maths :D **
i checked with the insurers and my insurance would come around $2200 per year (so, say $180 per month). In case I purchase a bike now and not riding until April, my opportunity cost would be $1080 in insurance + $250-300 in storage. That's like ~ $1400 and I haven't even ridden the bike yet.

So, in your experience, do the prices rise by $1400 cometh spring. Coz, if not, in my case I should just sit and wait...... what do you all think?

Godspeed!

Goku

Welcome. Consultant eh, for which company? btw 2200/year insurance seems high for the bikes you mentioned. Shop around.

That's an interesting concept. If I keep the bike over winter, how can I register it and plate it without insurance? Newbie to Canada...so could you please care to explain?
Thanks @AF4iK

You could also just wait to insure it in the spring if you buy it over the winter.

That's an interesting concept. If I keep the bike over winter, how can I register it and plate it without insurance? Newbie to Canada...so could you please care to explain?
Thanks @AF4iK

Welcome. Consultant eh, for which company? btw 2200/year insurance seems high for the bikes you mentioned. Shop around.

Yea, I'm a new rider in Canada. I just got an M with no Canadian riding experience (I have past 12 years of riding experience from India that I used to give the full M test)
Hence, the high insurance value for say a Honda Shadow Aero..

You can register it/change ownership, but you need insurance to plate it. You could buy it now and not run it till spring, but doesn't matter. Insurance is paid in equal installments but is weighted to the summer months. More of the premium is used then. So doesn't matter when you start your insurance, it balances out the longer you are insured. Mine starts at the beginning of winter.

Hey,

congrats on the bike and license!

I had the same question about buying a bike, and not insuring it till next year, here.

I ended up getting a bike a few weeks back and insuring it anyway, you pay for the riding season, so if you insure it now, or in April, not much of a difference, and next oct you will have 1 year of insurance under your belt. From what I hear policies are changing next year, rates could go up or down, that's a chance.

Also your quote does seem high, not far fetched since your new to Canada. I would say give Andy Singh a call, I called multiple places and he beat them by a landslide, plus great service and replies in minuets.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?195279-Andy-Singh-Dalton-Timmis-Insurance

Dalton Timmis (Andy Singh) - Email andys@daltontimmis.com or phone 905-633-9019

Hey,

congrats on the bike and license!

I had the same question about buying a bike, and not insuring it till next year, here.

I ended up getting a bike a few weeks back and insuring it anyway, you pay for the riding season, so if you insure it now, or in April, not much of a difference, and next oct you will have 1 year of insurance under your belt. From what I hear policies are changing next year, rates could go up or down, that's a chance.

Also your quote does seem high, not far fetched since your new to Canada. I would say give Andy Singh a call, I called multiple places and he beat them by a landslide, plus great service and replies in minuets.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?195279-Andy-Singh-Dalton-Timmis-Insurance

Dalton Timmis (Andy Singh) - Email andys@daltontimmis.com or phone 905-633-9019

Thanks @ScorpionT16
I will get in touch with Andy tomorrow. As of now, the deal is in progress and I will be purchasing a bike tomorrow. Order the number plates online so hopefully it will get delivered. Super pumped about that! :D

Last edited:

Yep @black_CG2 , with KPMG. I will take the pointer from above ^ and get in touch with Andy. I got a lower quote today from Riderplus ($2000) so let's see if Andy can give me something that's less than that. I guess, that's the price you gotto pay as an immigrant with over 12 years of riding experience but none in Canada...lol

Check Chris South too for insurance...they've been the best for us.
csouth@surnet.net

and we've got a bunch of bikes and riders...tell him MacDoc sent you.

Thanks MacDoc, I've emailed him!
Keep you guys posted on this....

Yep @black_CG2 , with KPMG. I will take the pointer from above ^ and get in touch with Andy. I got a lower quote today from Riderplus ($2000) so let's see if Andy can give me something that's less than that. I guess, that's the price you gotto pay as an immigrant with over 12 years of riding experience but none in Canada...lol

KPMG at bloor and bay?

Deal done....all signed!!

Friends, meet Optimus Prime :) [2010 Suzuki Boulevard C50T]
attachment.php

Attachments

• Suzuki_C50T_1.JPG
    Suzuki_C50T_1.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 55
Welcome Kakarrot. Good luck with the new bike.

Back
Top Bottom