Trudeau's carbon pricing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trudeau's carbon pricing

Blackfin

Site Supporter
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-trudeau-climate-change-1.3788825

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took provinces by surprise Monday by announcing they have until 2018 to adopt a carbon pricing scheme, or the federal government will step in and impose a price for them.

A tough-talking Trudeau told MPs in the House of Commons that provinces can craft a cap-and-trade system or put a direct price on carbon pollution — but it must meet the federal benchmark or "floor price."

"If neither price nor cap and trade is in place by 2018, the government of Canada will implement a price in that jurisdiction," he said.

Trudeau said the proposed price on carbon dioxide pollution should start at a minimum of $10 a tonne in 2018, rising by $10 each year to $50 a tonne by 2022.
"

Trying to get a handle on how much we should realistically expect motor fuel taxes to go up: According to the EIA, burning a US gallon of gasoline produces 19.64 pounds of CO2. Since a "tonne" is 2204.62 pounds, it would take about 112.25 gallons of gasoline to produce one tonne of CO2. This is about 425-litres. A $10 premium on 425-litres works out to about 2.35-cents per litre. A $50 premium (by 2022) is 11.76-cents per litre.

As much as I hate obvious cash-grabs like these they don't really sound "punitive" enough to change people's habits (i.e. reduce carbon emissions by disincentivization of fuel-burning by making it more expensive.) Then again, there's heating fuel and that used for the generation of electricity (e.g. natural gas) to consider too. Going to get pretty expensive for all of us pretty soon.

It may sound like a small tax now, but it sure won't be in a couple of years once the system is in. They'll torque up that tax just like they did with the gas tax in the 1980s. Of course they'll spend it before they even get it, then they'll tax even more.

Somebody needs to pay for all those overseas trip

$50/ton is just a start. To get to the type of CO2 reduction targets we need estimates are carbon will have to be priced at $200 or more. It will likely happen over time too. But even small tax rates ($10-20) have had an impact on reducing CO2 emissions in those regions where it's been implemented. That's the way any mature market works. Price goes up, consumption goes down. Simple.

All about who's getting paid. Hopefully when the average Canadian goes from $200/month from the red to $200/month in the red, the next government will take Australia's lead and abolish such silliness.

Want to understand what all the big Carbon Crusaders are really about, look to the Sierra Club's (among others) opposition to Washington state's proposed Carbon tax. Despite the fact that carbon taxing could actually incentivize industry to produce less CO2, they were upset the tax was going to be used to cut taxes elsewhere and not fund organizations such as their own. Is it Carbon emission these people are really worried about, or their own sustainability?

Just another tax grab . With a good sound bite .

Has India, China, and the US implemented such a tax?...combines they are ~2.5 BILLION people where as we are 35 million.

Carlin had it right, don't worry about saving the planet...it will be just fine.

Has India, China, and the US implemented such a tax?...combines they are ~2.5 BILLION people where as we are 35 million.

Carlin had it right, don't worry about saving the planet...it will be just fine.

The US does, I think, but not India and China, who are arguably the WORST polluting nations on the planet.

We sell so many resources to them that they account for a substantial portion of our GDP; yet our leaders won't pressure them into polluting less for the sake of our planet.

It's far easier for them to increase taxes on us (and everything we need), then during the election(s) tell us how they helped the environment, raised money (for themselves) and introduced new programs with the money they raised (from us).

Those countries are probably pumping out 40x the amount we are. That carbon tax is gonna do zilch

Those countries are probably pumping out 40x the amount we are. That carbon tax is gonna do zilch

That's my point. They are polluting yet we are paying for it...so in effect we are supporting and encouraging it...with our money.
Before anyone says let's be the example...you are being choked to death locked in your garage and the car is running...hose is connected to your neighbors car.:D

The US does, I think

The US absolutely does have a tax but its designed to reduce carbon, not just put your hand in someones pocket. California has one of the best global cap and trade schemes. It hammers polluters - like me on my GS or Nissan Frontier - and rewards greenies - like my wife in her Nissan Leaf and electric bicycle :), and yes it does carry through to business and industry as well.

Justin just wants his hand in your wallet to pay for all the money he's is pissing away.

My sister in law is a Psychotherapist in Vancouver. She is off the opinion that he has some serious rejection issues. Pierre didn't want him, Maggie buggered off and left the whole family, he'll do anything just to gain acceptance and have people like him. He gave a foundation Bill Gates set up $300m to generate clean energy jobs in the US. Like Gates needs another $300m. What was wrong with investing that money in Waterloo where there were a lot of bright people dumped by RIM.

Oh well. As soon as he was elected I moved and regardless out the outcome of the US election I'll have to move again. Been looking at some nice houses in Northern Ireland as we have a production center there, plus the do have proper road racing :)

Problem would be solved if someone comes up with a novel mass use/process for the CO2 that would encourage CO2 capture. It would have to be on the level of a Nobel prize winning idea though.

Just some numbers:

Canada is the 9th largest emitter (country wise) of CO2 in the world.
This accounts for ~1.6% of the worlds CO2 emissions.
We account for 0.48% of the worlds population.
We are the eighth highest per capita in the world (15.8 t).
We produce three times the world average per capita.
We produce twice as much per capita as China, almost nine times per capita as India.
We are very close to the US per capita (16.5 t).

On a per person (per capita) level we are large emitters. As a total percentage we have a small population but we are still top 10. Countries like India and China although much lower emitters per capita they have such large populations they are still higher up than us in total.

Saying, well we are only 1.6% so we should do nothing is like an alcoholic saying "I am not an alcoholic because all you people together drink more than I do..."

BTW, CO2 is not just about global warming. It contributes to things like the acidification of oceans and lakes, causing serious eco system problems.

It also comes from burning fossil fuels which also comes down to air quality...

As for the tax, not sure it will do much.

[video=youtube;EXNymGPtyd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXNymGPtyd8[/video]

Did you guys see this? Trudeau and his followers are pure scum. Jesus christ I'd like to pitchfork these *****.

[video]https://youtu.be/3HB56NdyZZs[/video]

Last edited:
Hopefully some province tells him off, probably Quebec. I don't know much about Alberta or BC politics, I know Alberta doesn't need this right now. Wynne will fold like an origami set.

Back
Top Bottom