ECE Rated Helmet Ok For 2017? | GTAMotorcycle.com

ECE Rated Helmet Ok For 2017?

STR

I need a new lid for racing next year. Is the current ECE rating ok or must it be SNELL 2015?

Thought it was Snell 2010 or less than six years old. SOAR rulebook states ECE 22.05

For RACE, this past season was the last year they'd accept SNELL 2010. You'll need a SNELL 2015 for next season. Larry and Dave told me that every Friday at tech ;)

I'm not sure what the ECE equivalent of that is. So long as it's a SNELL 2015 equivalent you should be good to go.

So a 2014 helmet is no good? Not sure how many would be happy having to replace a 2 yr old helmet.

So a 2014 helmet is no good? Not sure how many would be happy having to replace a 2 yr old helmet.

I believe the SNELL rating and helmet manufacture date are not the same. Will need to do some google-fu on that one.

EDIT: SNELL updates the standard every 5 years.

Last edited:
I believe the SNELL rating and helmet manufacture date are not the same. Will need to do some google-fu on that one.

EDIT: SNELL updates the standard every 5 years.

M2015 Certification labels first available for shipment on April 1, 2014. M2015 labeled helmet units must not be available for sale or use before October 1, 2014.

http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2015/M2015FinalCover.pdf

Yeah, I guess if you have a two year old helmet you're SOL. Actually, I might be SOL, better check my backup helmet.

The ECE 22.05 standard helmet will have a date of manufacture on the inside label. Check the date it was made. The race clubs usually allow the ECE helmet to be up to 5 years old before they must be replaced. parillaguy

The ECE-22.05 standard is unchanged from 2000. Inside the liner somewhere or on the chin strap will be a manufacture date. That date must be under 6yrs old. Same applies to BSI. The Snell standard comes out every five years. Therefore you get one 'grace" year. This lets us determine that the lid is less than six years old. The standards are all very similar and meet our requirements its all about age. Some Snell lids (not all) will have a mfg date as well. If so a 2010 is fine as long as its under the six year threshold.

Back
Top Bottom