A mini GS -- G310GS | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A mini GS -- G310GS

Hello All,

Just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would resurrect it.

I will be new to motorcycle riding (getting licensed this spring) and will be looking of my first bike. I am 53 years old, grey hair, 6'3", about 210lbs. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and others and have read about starting off on 300-500cc bikes to learn on. I'm ok with that. They also mention buying a used bike because I will inevitably drop it, etc. Hard to find a used bike that may work for me but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I like the honda CB500f or X but I also really like the looks of this BMW 310GS. I like an upright riding position and they both look good but the BMW looks like it would be more upright to me. Both attractively priced brand new I think.

So here's my question:

What would you all recommend between the 2 for my first bike? I am afraid I might get bored with the 300 power after a few months but again I have no frame of reference.

Thank you in advance,
Joe

Both look like nice bikes. I'd go Honda for first attempt assuming normalized value system.

Last edited:
@Joe_72T imo you could go as big as 650 cc imo, especially for your size. I would assume that the bravado that most males have in their 20s has given way to a little more sense for you by now. So you may be the type that can get a bigger cc bike and exercise the needed caution.
Iirc the bmw is a nee model, and you will be looking at ~$10k when all is said and done.
I'd be leaning more towards the Honda 500 or possibly a klr like mentioned above. And I would recommend used.
Welcome to the forum !

Sent from the Purple Zone

What would you all recommend between the 2 for my first bike? I am afraid I might get bored with the 300 power after a few months but again I have no frame of reference.

Ontario's highways, being a straight and narrow reflection of the population, provide numerous dangers. Boredom is one of them. Your first bike isn't going to be your last bike, unless you mistake the coolness of riding for a force-field. Therein lies the risk. Until Captain Picard arrives from the future with a reason to violate the Prime Directive with Federation tech, you have other concerns. Does the bike fit? Is the suspension sorted for your weight? Find the closest, cheapest bike that fits the description and learn some chops. This will also give you time to decide which category affords you the most social capital:

"Chrome is for men, plastic is for boys!"
"Real riders have 10 inches of travel!"
"You can't spell reckless without wreck!"
"UJM is a state of mind!"
"I'm going to grocery store!"

This is only a small selection and ignores the titillation of brand loyalty and accessory catalogs.

Throw off the chains of convention, do not circumscribe the joy of belt drive. Be not circumspect of square metres of plastic and the one thing nobody wants to talk about; circumcision.

Made in India? nahh im cool.

The last interesting bike made there were the KTM 390s, and they blow their head gaskets on new bikes.

Dont even get me started on the enfields.

After visiting the motorcycle show recently, i have decided if i want a gorgeous/retro bike ill go with Triumph. (with modern parts, like Fuel injection, brembo brakes, and ohlins/showa suspension)

Last edited:
Nice bike but only assembled in GB. Frame, motor and most of it is made on Thailand.

Made in India? nahh im cool.

The last interesting bike made there were the KTM 390s, and they blow their head gaskets on new bikes.

Dont even get me started on the enfields.

After visiting the motorcycle show recently, i have decided if i want a gorgeous/retro bike ill go with Triumph. (with modern parts, like Fuel injection, brembo brakes, and ohlins/showa suspension)

BMW is having production issues with the G310R (basically street version of the G310GS) and the delivery has been delayed.
Don't think there will be any G310GS available this year.

BMW is having production issues with the G310R (basically street version of the G310GS) and the delivery has been delayed.
Don't think there will be any G310GS available this year.

disappointing but not that surprising

Hello All,

Just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would resurrect it.

I will be new to motorcycle riding (getting licensed this spring) and will be looking of my first bike. I am 53 years old, grey hair, 6'3", about 210lbs. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and others and have read about starting off on 300-500cc bikes to learn on. I'm ok with that. They also mention buying a used bike because I will inevitably drop it, etc. Hard to find a used bike that may work for me but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I like the honda CB500f or X but I also really like the looks of this BMW 310GS. I like an upright riding position and they both look good but the BMW looks like it would be more upright to me. Both attractively priced brand new I think.

So here's my question:

Thank you in advance,
Joe

I think you would really need to sit on the bike to know if it will work. Not sure how low the small GS will be. You would certainly fit on a 1200GS. Might want to look at a BMW 650GS. Will be lots of used options. The bike will last you longer as well from a power stand point. These bikes get dropped all the time, I would not be as worried with a new bike as I would be with a new sport bike or something with expensive plastics all over it.

Thank you all for your replies. Really good advice!

I think the 1200 would be too heavy for my first bike although I love the look of it. Maybe the650GS?

I was interested in the GS models because they have higher seat heights. The BMW 310GS has a seat that's about 2" higher than the Honda CB500f from what I can see online. My only hesitation is that it may be underpowered. I think the Honda may be a good choice because I don't think I will loose much on it in a few years if I decide to move up to another bike. Just not sure of the fit.

I really need to sit on these bikes a little more to get a feel. The show in a few weeks will give me that option. If anyone knows of anyone that has a used bike they want to sell similar to one of these I would be grateful for sending me their info.

Thanks again,
Joe

~31" seat height on the 310

Sent from the Purple Zone

I think a 300+cc bike will have plenty of power to be fun (I weigh about as much as you and downgraded from a 650R to a 125) but lots of people on this forum seem to think if your bike won't go 200 KPH+ it's not worth owning.

I currently ride the above mentioned G650GS. It sure has enough power to comfortably pass cars on the 400 series hwy but is also light & nimble enough to take it off the beaten path.
These things have been around for some number of years -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_G650GS
I got mine back in 2014 and put ~ 30000km on it.

@joe72T give real consideration, not just dreams of crossing the Sahara of what you want/need the bike to do. There are lots of guys that have 1200cc and 150hp and dont go much beyond a days ride from home. And that's OK. For a first bike pick one you will ride. If getting the bike ready and getting around with it means you'd rather take the car? you have the wrong bike.

There is a tool for every job, because the 10lb sledge hammer looks powerful and big, wont help you when you want to open a beer.

Never ridden one but I bet the CB500X would be great. Even for the long term. If I had to start from scratch I'd take a serious look at it. Rally Raid farkles? I think so.

Back
Top Bottom