Suggest me a car | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suggest me a car

I'm not sure if relying on an RX7 as your only form of transportation is a good idea.
With that mileage, the rotary engine is nearly done.
18b rotary will burn out over 150,000k.

Worst car I ever owned.

Horrible gas mileage.

I had to put a new block in mine.

In the price range that the original poster wants, you can't have everything.

Anything manual and RWD in that price range will be a beat up Mustang or Camaro (gas hog), a rusted out Miata, or a BMW, and the only way a BMW is in that price range is if it needs more in repairs than the car is worth. So, forget RWD. Forget convertibles, too, for more or less the same reasons.

With the unreasonable requests out of the way, now we are down to whatever compact front-drive cars with manual transmission you can find in that price range.

Honda and Toyota are overpriced as used cars but maybe you can get lucky and find a high-mileage, but well-cared-for example.

VW is a possibility if you can find a good one. Beware of needing expensive repairs. Friend of mine was talking to me about a 2008 Rabbit (a.k.a. Golf) that's just above this price range. Has about 200k on it. A shop is selling it and he knows the mechanic who worked on it - that's the only reason he is considering it at all. The shop got it cheaply because the previous owner blew up the (manual) transmission. New transmission, new clutch, remove some of the crap that the previous owner had pimped the car out with, now the shop is selling it for more or less what they've got into it.

So now you are looking for something underappreciated in the market - something that depreciates badly but isn't actually as bad as the market thinks it is. Hyundai/Kia come to mind but if you are looking for something fun to drive, this ain't it, they're dull as dishwater. Ford Focus comes to mind (but this will be the previous body style, before 2012 - watch out for rusty rocker panels on those!). My brother-in-law had a manual Focus 5 door hatch for years and I know where that car is now (but it's not for sale). Focuses (Foci?) of this generation in good shape are decent to drive even if the body sounds like a tin can when you slam the doors - which they do. (2012-on are a lot better, but obviously more $) There is a certain engine in certain early years of Focus that you have to stay away from because they drop valve seats without warning, which shrapnelizes the engine.

I'd find a clean Toyota Matrix/Corolla/Yaris or something similar near the basement of your budget. $5k is almost enough for you to think you're getting a decent car and then have stuff go on it before it's next emissions test. And that stuff can get expensive.

Normal wear items like bearings, exhaust, control links, tires, brakes, etc. Just as long as the engine is sound, trans doing it's job and body isn't rusted through, get a beater for a grand or two and pocket the remaining budget cash until you need a repair.

Last edited:
I'd find a clean Toyota Matrix/Corolla/Yaris or something similar near the basement of your budget. $5k is almost enough for you to think you're getting a decent car and then have stuff go on it before it's next emissions test. And that stuff can get expensive.

This. And what Brian P said.

Also check out Nissan's; Altima's and Sentra's can be great finds, as Nissan tends to over-design their cars, and there's so many of them out there.

Thanks folks.

My last car was a 99 civic si coupe. Bought that car for $2000 and 2 years later sold for $1900. Bad mistake. Car was clean, stock, no rust and had two sets of tires.

I will keep looking.

Any inputs on Saabs? They are fwd but they seem to offer a lot.

Thanks folks.

My last car was a 99 civic si coupe. Bought that car for $2000 and 2 years later sold for $1900. Bad mistake. Car was clean, stock, no rust and had two sets of tires.

I will keep looking.

Any inputs on Saabs? They are fwd but they seem to offer a lot.
Iirc aome people on here were talking of major repairs with Saabs.

And I must be out of the loop because I would think that $5k wouls get you a half decent used car. That's about the top that I ever like to spend on a vehicle.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

With that mileage, the rotary engine is nearly done.
18b rotary will burn out over 150,000k.

Worst car I ever owned.

Horrible gas mileage.

I had to put a new block in mine.

LS swap!!!

This is turning out to be an amazing car. Why haven't you bought it yet?

Guy at work picked up 2002 Saab 9-3 last year for about 4k. It was well kept. No issues so far other than some minor PCV stuff. It's a nice car.

I drove a 2003 Hyundai Accent from new and can most assuredly attest to it's sporting acumen. I owned it a while before I felt comfortable stripping out the interior but a long impingement with a 403 (Ancaster hill) guard rail helped in that regard. Regrettably, itching for a new ride, I sold it too soon only 1/2 used up. Get an Accent of that vintage with the big motor(1600cc) and five forward speeds, manually selected. Strip out the interior, install Momo steering wheel. Done.

edit, I don't think I used acumen correctly.

Last edited:
2001-2005 3 series BMW. Comes in manual, is either AWD or RWD, is a lot cheaper to fix than most people think and easier to work on, the manual gearboxes are reliable, so is the engine. Interior is still better looking than the newer ones. Not prone to rust. Will it be in perfect condition for $5k, probably not, but neither will anything else for $5k.

Good ol Z24 models were had in convertibles, and manual if I recall correctly. Older generation Eclipse might be found as well. They're FWD, but there's not many cars that'll cover ALL of your wants in that price range.

When I was looking for a car for my kids I went through the same exercise. Sub $5k, reliable and safe were all I wanted. I landed on an 2007 Mazda 6 that I picked up free of rust for $1200.00. Fortunately a good friend owns his own service shop so I had the owner meet me there and had the vehicle inspected before making an offer. In my case the seller was desperate and I know I underpaid for the vehicle so I am just bragging a bit.

Point is, you can buy a good car for under $5k but at that money I wouldn't be worried about resale value as it really isn't that much money to most people (as highlighted by all the sarcastic responses you received). During my search I did learn that the Mazda 3 was highly under rated. Early model years had severe rust problems though so beware - the rust problems are not a secret though. I managed to find a place that was loaded with quality sub $5k Mazda 3's. Place is called Downsview Auto.

For better than 20 years I have been driving larger SUV's and when I drive the kids Mazda 6 I really like how well it handles and how well built it really is. You get a lot of car in one of those. The 3's are basically the same car just a bit smaller.

A co-worker has a late model 3 in manual. Bloody thing is a blast to drive and they are great on fuel!

Good luck!

We went through the budget crunch a number of years ago and it was a toss up between spending a ton of money on our existing junker and spending a ton of money on an unknown beater. We ended up buying a new basic clear out Hyundai and it lasted seven years with no problems. I can't recall the model but it was replaced by the Accent. Cheap and tinny but it dd its job.

You can buy a Dodge minivan, lol

Was thinking of mazda 5 manual lol.

2001-2005 3 series BMW. Comes in manual, is either AWD or RWD, is a lot cheaper to fix than most people think and easier to work on, the manual gearboxes are reliable, so is the engine. Interior is still better looking than the newer ones. Not prone to rust. Will it be in perfect condition for $5k, probably not, but neither will anything else for $5k.

Hmm considering this. What about 5 series?

Good ol Z24 models were had in convertibles, and manual if I recall correctly. Older generation Eclipse might be found as well. They're FWD, but there's not many cars that'll cover ALL of your wants in that price range.

Whats z24?

Chevrolet Cavalier Z24. Few friends had it and it was fairly reliable, and very cheap!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=cavalier+z24&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=

As for the Mazda5....great car. Cousins had it for many years and I drove it a bunch of times. Fun car with the manual, good on gas, reliable...and roomy as hell. Frankly the only reason they got rid of it is because she hit a bus...so the insurance wrote it off. Replaced it with a fairly new Santa Fe. Also a nice car, but way more $.

8179f1c308aa6df254210e90d8958a1d.jpg

You can come get my 2007 Freestyle with 310 000 kms for $700 and I'll throw in the steel rims with winters.

We went through the budget crunch a number of years ago and it was a toss up between spending a ton of money on our existing junker and spending a ton of money on an unknown beater. We ended up buying a new basic clear out Hyundai and it lasted seven years with no problems. I can't recall the model but it was replaced by the Accent. Cheap and tinny but it dd its job.
Excel.

Whats z24?

I suddenly feel very old.

You can come get my 2007 Freestyle with 310 000 kms for $700 and I'll throw in the steel rims with winters.

Will it survive two years?

Excel.

I suddenly feel very old.

I feel very old too. I know I can go ahead and finance a decent certified almost new used car but my maturity is not letting me.

Back
Top Bottom