Clarification on lane splitting? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clarification on lane splitting?

I agree, I read his post to say that many residents of that area, may have grown up with lane filtering or splitting, but not advocating for driving in those areas as they drive in India.

Although it also brings up the question, do you know how many bikes are rear ended, (presumably none, given that it is your assertion that being permitted to filter eliminates that as a possibility), or for that matter how many may be hit while filtering or lane splitting in India?

Where above did I advocate driving like they do in those countries?

Rob stated that filtering might not work here due to our half a year riding season... I.e people would forget to watch for MCs over the winter. I countered saying these people grew up with filtering, so it's ingrained in them to expect filtering. Thats it. Full stop.

That's why it's pointless to even try and have a discussion here. If you even mention India you get accused of advocating riding lawlessly like there while I said nothing about that at all.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

In essence, have we not simply determined that "where filtering is already a common practice, it's probably safer than not filtering"?
I could accept that.
Where filtering is NOT a common or accepted practice, the potential benefit of reducing the potential for rear-end collisions may be more than offset by the very real risk of being hit from the side or blocked. Granted, these are a greater risk for those splitting, rather than filtering.
One of the other factors that has only been touched on is that of volume of traffic. During the better riding months, there may be a few bikes at the same intersection, all trying to filter up between the two lanes of traffic. As soon as the traffic moves, a couple of them are probably going to be lane splitting.

I'm not completely against it, but it's going to take a lot of education. It's also easy to take the position that natural selection will eliminate the riders that do it indiscriminately simply because it's allowed, but that has an impact on so many different things, socially and financially.

Back
Top Bottom