Clarification on lane splitting? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clarification on lane splitting?

mistersouthpaw

I'm still confused...

Is it illegal to filter traffic at a red light?

Is it illegal to ride in a lane with cars parked on the right side? Where cars could not fit

It's probably illegal to ride in bike lanes but I'll ask anyway.. Is it illegal to ride in bike lanes?

would a different charge be laid for each scenario?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lane filtering and lane splitting are no-no's in Canada.

Some do it and get away with it, some do it and get caught. Up to you and your risk levels.

Could be as small as an 'improper lane change' ticket, could be as bad as 'HTA 172' where your stuff gets repo'd.

You used to be able to drive in that 3/4 of a lane on the Danforth (Ave) and other places. That's why there was no parking near the intersections. A friend used to drive his VW Bug there all the time. They seem to have narrowed it a while back, though.

Is it illegal to ride in a lane with cars parked on the right side? Where cars could not fit

What's wrong with this one? I always thought it was legal, as long as you weren't brushing up against the parked cars. On many streets, there appears to be more than enough room for a motorcycle or bicycle.

The way I see it is because it is one lane. Period. If there is parking in that "laneway" you cannot drive alongside even if you "could" fit in a small vehicle. Some one else already has that right.

I think if you were in your car and you can't do it, you shouldn't be doing it on your bike.

Like the yellow/black supersport northbound on the 404 yday about 530p. Rode the shoulder the entire way from steeles to who knows where...

Would riders do that in their cars? Or is it the helmet anonymity that causes them to do that?

No. At least from my experience so far, cops don't have a problem with this.

I've stopped to ask a cop a couple of times, both times they said as long as you're not riding on the lane markings you're fine. But of course beware of doors opening.

I've also done it a few times with police cruisers in the left lane, I haven't gotten lit up for it (yet?)

I'm still confused...

Where in the HTA or municipal code is this prohibited? What about a regular two-side street with cars parked at the curb? Vehicles have to hug or cross the center line. When vehicles are parked directly opposite each other, there is no room for two way traffic between them. The lanes aren't closed to traffic because they are partially blocked. The issue in the OP's scenario is the lane markings - so if you aren't driving/riding on the lane markings, and you're in one lane or the other, you're okay. In case we havn't beat it to death yet - watch for doors (and also pedestrians, cyclists and cars actually pulling out).

Hta 154

doesn't look like HTA154 is relevant (and .1 is for HOV and .2 for border-crossing approach lanes)

Where highway divided into lanes

154. (1) Where a highway has been divided into clearly marked lanes for traffic,
(a) a vehicle shall not be driven from one lane to another lane or to the shoulder or from the shoulder to a lane unless the driver first ascertains that it can be done safely;
(b) in the case of a highway that is divided into three lanes, a vehicle shall not be driven in the centre lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle where the roadway is clearly visible and the centre lane is clear of traffic within a reasonable safe distance, or in preparation for a left turn, or where the centre lane is at the time designated for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which the vehicle is proceeding and official signs are erected to indicate the designation;
(c) any lane may be designated for slowly moving traffic, traffic moving in a particular direction or classes or types of vehicles and, despite section 141, where a lane is so designated and official signs indicating the designation are erected, every driver shall obey the instructions on the official signs. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 154 (1); 2015, c. 14, s. 45.

Hmm must have changed / updated it recently.
It used to state that a vehicle may only travel in a lane clearly designated

Hmm must have changed / updated it recently.
It used to state that a vehicle may only travel in a lane clearly designated
I think that was back when it included things like "entirely within a lane", and "as close to the center of the lane as practical" too. Unless those were just things in the drivers handbook.

I'm still confused...

Is it illegal to filter traffic at a red light?

It's probably illegal to ride in bike lanes but I'll ask anyway.. Is it illegal to ride in bike lanes?

would a different charge be laid for each scenario?

I can see why people get confused. Last night, I was sitting at a red light and rider filtered up until just behind me on the exit from 427s to Browns Line.
This morning I was sitting at a red on Lakeshore and a rider filtered all the way up past me to be second in line.
When you see riders doing it so blatantly and confidently, it does make you question whether you're missing something!

Bycicles, mopeds/scooters do it all the time in the GTA, so even if illegal under HTP, cops don't care.

I personally try not to overuse it, for obvious hazard reasons.

I can see why people get confused. Last night, I was sitting at a red light and rider filtered up until just behind me on the exit from 427s to Browns Line.
This morning I was sitting at a red on Lakeshore and a rider filtered all the way up past me to be second in line.
When you see riders doing it so blatantly and confidently, it does make you question whether you're missing something!

You're not missing anything...it's called self-entitlement some believe they have.

Bycicles, mopeds/scooters do it all the time in the GTA, so even if illegal under HTP, cops don't care.

I personally try not to overuse it, for obvious hazard reasons.

'zactly. Try not to do it in front of cops...just in case. At least don't roll by next to one. No point in pushing yer luck.

Or just try to not be so self-entitled.

Back
Top Bottom