08 CBR 1000 RR's Burning Oil | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

08 CBR 1000 RR's Burning Oil

could be tho that the high mileage engines first started burning oil, then something like worn carbs acting up could kick in

... or the loss of compression pressure and increasing blowby out the crankcase vent screws with the carbs and makes them run rich. Anything that leaks past the intake valves (back out into the intake runner) will get "carbureted" three times: The first time on the way in, then on the way back out due to the leakage, then the next time on the way in again ... Crankcase vent crap contains a lot of already-burned exhaust and not much oxygen in it, and anything that comes out the crankcase vent into the airbox still gets carbureted with fuel; the carbs don't know that the crankcase vent crap doesn't have much oxygen in it and already has some unburned fuel in it.

Valve guide seals will give you a blue puff on startup, but it goes away. I've decided against Honda as it's for my GF, and she wants relatively maintenance free (team green, team blue). Some guys must've ran the CBR's full bore into breakin and the others followed the instructions. That's the only variable I can think of where an across the board, non-VIN specific assembly line of oil burners showed any difference in consumption. I see the guys on the Honda board tried to chase this problem down, they should have added "I ran the **** out of it from day one" and "I followed the breakin instructions" as variables. My guess is the bad rings these bikes were given seated properly in the former. Thanks for all your Honda horror stories. Shame on Honda for not recalling these bikes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

just wonderin' here, oxygen?

... or the loss of compression pressure and increasing blowby out the crankcase vent screws with the carbs and makes them run rich. Anything that leaks past the intake valves (back out into the intake runner) will get "carbureted" three times: The first time on the way in, then on the way back out due to the leakage, then the next time on the way in again ... Crankcase vent crap contains a lot of already-burned exhaust and not much oxygen in it, and anything that comes out the crankcase vent into the airbox still gets carbureted with fuel; the carbs don't know that the crankcase vent crap doesn't have much oxygen in it and already has some unburned fuel in it.

black smoke is indicative of an oxygen starved burn, like the black puffs and soot you will get from an extremely rich engine; an engine burning oil will not be black, nor white, rather grayish blue.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-Burning-Oil&p=2453040&viewfull=1#post2453040

Black smoke coming out of the tailpipe on a vehicle with a gasoline engine is a sign of a rich fuel mixture (too much fuel, not enough air)

Last edited:
Was there a green hose connected to the carb? Maybe the air knob was turned down?

Back
Top Bottom