08 CBR 1000 RR's Burning Oil | GTAMotorcycle.com

08 CBR 1000 RR's Burning Oil

The one I have is good. Maybe 100ml-200ml per trackday, but all bikes run that hard will use a little bit. Back when it was first a street bike, I didn't notice any. Honda still won't admit it was an issue which is sad, they consider up to ~1L/1000 km acceptable before they will even consider it and even then its been a battle for those with the issue. In 09 there were a few ones here and there, but it seems to have been figured out after that. To be honest the CBR I have has been nothing short of sublime. I think the clock says 65000 without a single mechanical fault, stock motor never been opened.

The mid-range is surprisingly strong given the mileage on the motor.

Honda sold quite a few of the 08's, so keep in min the sample size. I've talked to a good number of owners, the actual % with issues seems fairly low. There are no immediate tell tale signs. I've had a great experience with the machine, and parts availability is extremely good esp. now with the 2017 coming. A small few had an issue with a whining primary gear which Honda seemed to replace with less hassle. You'll be able to hear it if its a problem, mine never had it.

The one I have is good. Maybe 100ml-200ml per trackday, but all bikes run that hard will use a little bit. Back when it was first a street bike, I didn't notice any. Honda still won't admit it was an issue which is sad, they consider up to ~1L/1000 km acceptable before they will even consider it and even then its been a battle for those with the issue. In 09 there were a few ones here and there, but it seems to have been figured out after that. To be honest the CBR I have has been nothing short of sublime. I think the clock says 65000 without a single mechanical fault, stock motor never been opened.

The mid-range is surprisingly strong given the mileage on the motor.

Honda sold quite a few of the 08's, so keep in min the sample size. I've talked to a good number of owners, the actual % with issues seems fairly low. There are no immediate tell tale signs. I've had a great experience with the machine, and parts availability is extremely good esp. now with the 2017 coming. A small few had an issue with a whining primary gear which Honda seemed to replace with less hassle. You'll be able to hear it if its a problem, mine never had it.
Thanks for the reply. My worry was if the oil is blowing by faulty rings, then the spark plugs are obviously burning the oil. Have you ever had your plugs out to see if they're coated /fouled? When you reach into the back of your exhaust with a finger, is it black / slimey or clean? I understand theses bikes run rich too, so it's hard to differentiate if the black soot is oil or fuel residue.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I won't buy one. Their cars & oil has been burning oil & they make it seems so natural

Yeah, I inspect the plugs regularly and changed them once, although the plugs are 50k km in the service manual. Between new and old plugs there was no noticeable difference in power. Mine runs rich, so it does have a bit of carbon build up, although they aren't oily by any means. On the CBRs its easy to pull the left most plug (as if you were sitting on the bike) with the air box and fuel tank in place. With the fairings remove and ram air tube off, you can get pull this one plug fairly easily.

I won't buy one. Their cars & oil has been burning oil & they make it seems so natural
You should see what Audi puts as normal in the owners manual. 1L every 1000 km is normal. They recommend topping up every time you get gas.

You should see what Audi puts as normal in the owners manual. 1L every 1000 km is normal. They recommend topping up every time you get gas.
I don't like Audis too

I have one. It burns some oil but it's not a big deal. I prefer it didn't obviously but it doesn't seem to have a negative impact on how it runs. Just have to check it on the regular.

I think Honda had issues with that gen of bikes. Call them and keep pushing for them to repair it or buy it back.
I knew this guy that had that issue and Honda bought the bike part (after they 'fixed" it twice)

sounds odd, at least they wrote it in the manual...you know, something you wont get until AFTER you bought the car and discover the issue.

My friend's CBR used about 1L in 700km (really, every time he rode tbh) when he finally sold it out of disgust. His 2010 RSV4 had a typical valve cover weep for that year and still used far, far less oil than the CBR. :) He actually rode with a bottle of oil in his jacket when the bike had around 10K on it.

Last edited:
I have had 3 08 CBR 1000rr's. The first one I had did burn some oil. This bike had around 22,000kms.

Crashed the second one!!

My 3rd and current 08 does not burn any oil. The bike has just short of 50,000kms and it runs like a dream. No mechanical issues whatsoever. I thoroughly enjoy riding it. Just put a Bazzaz ZFi-tc system on it too :)

You should get one. Solid bikes.

I have had 3 08 CBR 1000rr's. The first one I had did burn some oil. This bike had around 22,000kms.

Crashed the second one!!

My 3rd and current 08 does not burn any oil. The bike has just short of 50,000kms and it runs like a dream. No mechanical issues whatsoever. I thoroughly enjoy riding it. Just put a Bazzaz ZFi-tc system on it too :)

You should get one. Solid bikes.

sounds like bad advice
according to your facts...that's a 50% failure rate with 1 unknown.
no thanks:cool:

Yeah, I drove a Prelude for 14 years; for the last 2 years, I couldn't go two tanks of gas without adding a full litre of oil :\

Now with a Scion, VW and Suzuki, none of the vehicles burn oil. Like they're supposed to do.

sounds like bad advice
according to your facts...that's a 50% failure rate with 1 unknown.
no thanks:cool:

You just need to find the right one. I keep getting asked when I am going to buy a newer bike. Unless this thing blows up one day then yes a newer bike is in order but which will probably never happen. They are rock solid!!

Yeah, I drove a Prelude for 14 years; for the last 2 years, I couldn't go two tanks of gas without adding a full litre of oil :\

Now with a Scion, VW and Suzuki, none of the vehicles burn oil. Like they're supposed to do.

You can't compare the prelude with the rest of hte lineup. That was a horrible car for maintenance. no issues with any of my other 4 Hondas

Last Honda I had was a 94 civic. Was a great car. Never burnt a drop of oil & never needed anything. Because Honda had the crown for a while they fell asleep at the wheels. Pun intended

An engine is not "burning oil" unless you have substantial amounts of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Oil burns black, not white as some would have you believe.
A certain amount of oil is expected to be used in an older engine as seals and other part begin to fail.
My 1990 BMW uses about 1/4 litre a day in hard highway driving.
However, if you have a newer bike, this should not be happening.
If you don't believe me about the colour, put a liter of oil in a metal container. Mix it with a half liter of gasoline.
Set it on fire and watch the black smoke.
Extinguish before you start choking.

Last edited:
An engine is not "burning oil" unless you have substantial amounts of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Oil burns black, not white as some would have you believe.
A certain amount of oil is expected to be used in an older engine as seals and other part begin to fail.
My 1990 BMW uses about 1/4 litre a day in hard highway driving.
However, if you have a newer bike, this should not be happening.
If you don't believe me about the colour, put a liter of oil in a metal container. Mix it with a half liter of gasoline.
Set it on fire and watch the black smoke.
Extinguish before you start choking.

black smoke is indicative of an oxygen starved burn, like the black puffs and soot you will get from an extremely rich engine; an engine burning oil will not be black, nor white, rather grayish blue.

Back
Top Bottom