Canadian Hyundai warranty while traveling through US | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian Hyundai warranty while traveling through US

daught

I am traveling through the US and the Hyundai elantra blew a wheel bearing at 70 000K. It went from noisy to serious grinding in 600K. No previous noise. Anyways any chance Hyundai Canada will cover the repair in the US? I will call them tomorrow but it would help to know if it's covered before Hyundai opens at 8am.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Should be. I read the warranty manual & from what I recall it's all over North America

Hyundai Canada said they cover it across N/A. I am very pleasantly surprised.

Of course US dealer says not covered... Still on hold after 40 min to talk to Hyundai Canada again.

Of course US dealer says not covered... Still on hold after 40 min to talk to Hyundai Canada again.

I have no inside info but they may make you pay and then Hyundai Canada will reimburse you, I have seen this with other brands.

They also pay for a Tow. You might want to inquire about that .

Owning a Hyundai has it's merits

Edit: my insurance company would also reimburse me for a tow. Might want to inquire about your insurance policy

So after 5 hours of phone calls car is in the shop. Long story...

Here is what Hyundai owners need to know.

Call Hyundai Canada at 1 800 461 5695 and open a case.

Dealer needs to call 1 800 461 5695 for paperwork, warranty claim and clarification.

Expect 1hour + hold times.

Warranty should cross borders. We had a GM blow a fuel pump coming back from the southern USA once and had to get it fixed in OH. Warranty paid for the tow and the shop even stayed late to fix it for us so we could get back on the road.

I am traveling through the US and the Hyundai elantra blew a wheel bearing at 70 000K. It went from noisy to serious grinding in 600K. No previous noise. Anyways any chance Hyundai Canada will cover the repair in the US? I will call them tomorrow but it would help to know if it's covered before Hyundai opens at 8am.

Thought you were the fellow in the AWD/4WD thread extolling Audi? what you doing clanging around in an elantra?

I have no inside info but they may make you pay and then Hyundai Canada will reimburse you, I have seen this with other brands.

Inside info, this is true.

Yeeeeahhhhhhh. I'd get it in writing from Hyundai Canada first.
(Best case scenario, you pay for it out of pocket, on your Visa ofcourse, and HC will reimburse you their book value for repairs in CANADIAN FUNDS. With the dollar in the shitter, kinda your own fault, you have to make up the difference)

Last edited:
Thought you were the fellow in the AWD/4WD thread extolling Audi? what you doing clanging around in an elantra?
GF can't drive stick.
I was told from the inside it would be very difficult for an customer to get the money vs the dealer.

Dunno maybe I just went to a really bad dealership. At one point I called another one and they said they honor Canadian warranty. I had doubts the Hyundai bearing would go another 50km. Too bad, I drove my old audi for years with a humming bearing...

I was told from the inside it would be very difficult for an customer to get the money vs the dealer.

Dunno maybe I just went to a really bad dealership. At one point I called another one and they said they honor Canadian warranty. I had doubts the Hyundai bearing would go another 50km. Too bad, I drove my old audi for years with a humming bearing...

I've done this a number of times in the past without an issue yet. When you come back to Canada, bring a copy of your invoice and credit card statement to show the exchange paid (you can blank out anything you don't want shown) to your Hyundai dealer, they'll submit the request to Hyundai Canada, Hyundai pays them, the dealer makes a cheque to pay you.

PM me if you need help.

Thanks, in the end it was taken care of. I gave the dealer the second number I posted and I don't think they had the time and patience to wait over an hour on hold. In the end I stayed on hold with my phone and gave it to the service manager when someone finally picked up.

Glad you got it sorted.

just to add my comments to this thread ... My friend had an issue with a Honda and while Honda Canada agreed it was covered the US dealer said it was not. In the end my friend paid out of pocket (on his VISA) and was reimbursed for that exact amount in CDN dollars. They requested the receipt from the dealer and a copy of the CC bill with the converted to CDN amount.

It DID take about 2 or 3 months to get it all resolved but he did eventually (after 3 months) get his cheque in the mail.

I wonder if some of those having trouble getting a US dealer to accept a Canadian warranty claim are like the US retailers that won't ship to Canada because they don't trust the Canadian dollar. It's Canada, not Nigeria.

or maybe they got stung with Canadian Tire money once.

Back
Top Bottom