Swimming against the current, trying to get upstream | GTAMotorcycle.com

Swimming against the current, trying to get upstream

AKCo

Hi All,

I'm an uber noob to the motorcycling scene. I've wanted a sports bike since I was 15 and never pulled the trigger. Some 15+ years later I am settled and can afford a motorcycle.

I am no longer looking for a sports bike, but a so-called street fighter.

I've done my studying and am looking to get my M1 and M2 before the season ends, and hopefully get an end of season deal on something decent.

Against me are my insurance broker and my partner, the former who can only find me 3k insurance and the latter who is furious that I am considering getting a motorcycle after becoming a new father.

Wish me luck friends!

Hey I was in the same boat dude! Rode a bike when I was younger, had kids and had to pick between a car and a motorcycle. So the bike went! I didn't have a full M license when I gave up on the bike, so I had to start over from scratch this year. But now the kids are a little older and I have a bit more free time I took the plunge and went out and got myself a decent starter bike to get warmed up to the whole riding deal again. (2004 Suzuki Katana 600). Definitely don't go bigger than 600 for your first bike. First off the insurance is going to kill you. Second you don't need something insane when you are just starting out, go used and buy new when you get all the accidental drops out of your system :) . Call Wawanesa or Riders Plus for a quote. They both quoted me $2000 less a year than the insurance company I have my car with. I am paying 1100/year for my bike and I only have an M1 right now (but I took the motorcycle course with MTOhp)

I imagine if you move to a adventure touring style bike (versys decent performance good deal on purchase price) your insurance should be much more reasonable. I as a noob was 1K but out of the GTA. Now I am at 680.

As for the new dad thing, congrats and if riding makes you happy do it. We need to be a example to our children, is waiting to follow your dreams a good example?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on both getting a kid and a bike! I never gave up riding when my kids came along. Their mother did though.

x2 on reconsider your choice of motorcycle. At age 30 with a M2 you should be able to find insurance on a modest cruiser for the $750-$1500 range, assuming you don't live in Brampton or something where insurance rates take a leap.

Welcome.

Hi All,

I'm an uber noob to the motorcycling scene. I've wanted a sports bike since I was 15 and never pulled the trigger. Some 15+ years later I am settled and can afford a motorcycle.

I am no longer looking for a sports bike, but a so-called street fighter.

I've done my studying and am looking to get my M1 and M2 before the season ends, and hopefully get an end of season deal on something decent.

Against me are my insurance broker and my partner, the former who can only find me 3k insurance and the latter who is furious that I am considering getting a motorcycle after becoming a new father.

Wish me luck friends!

I think you should expect around $2000 to $2500 for you first year if you live in the GTA, but more important than the money is getting your partner to understand how important riding is to you. All the money in the world won't cause you as much problems as this.

I'm going to go against the stream, and suggest that you wait a few years, until your family can take care of itself better without your contribution. Unless of course you have really great life and disability insurance coverage.

x2 on reconsider your choice of motorcycle. At age 30 with a M2 you should be able to find insurance on a modest cruiser for the $750-$1500 range, assuming you don't live in Brampton or something where insurance rates take a leap.

Welcome.

Ninja 500 was $1500 for me first year for collision and fire/theft at 29 in Hamilton. No previous insurance or driving record/infractions.
As ugly as they are, waaaay more fun than a cruiser.
If I was to do it again, I'd go the Honda 500 class (pick your fav) or any brand of the 300 class bikes.
Call Riders Plus for a quote.

over 30, you should get better quotes than 3k, shop around, call paul south

I bought the bike before the kid, its harder to do it AFTER the kid

As others have said, start on something used, in decent condition that isnt too fast(under 600)

...I'm an uber noob to the motorcycling scene. I've wanted a sports bike since I was 15...

Against me are... my partner, ...who is furious that I am considering getting a motorcycle after becoming a new father...

There is no "good" time to get hurt or worse, be it before or after kids. Motorcycling can be either a good or ill influence on your future kids, or for you, for that matter. Live your life as you feel fits you best. If this means waiting then so be it.

This is your first bike, not your last. The general rule is <50hp <500cc <500lb. The suggestions of a CB300F or CB500x are all good options. The least expensive way to buy a bike is to buy a used one, a little older, just before winter. Used and slightly older bikes mean that you can forego comprehensive and instead get liability only insurance, which will be much cheaper. Riders do not want to store their bikes over the winter, so they try to get rid of them.

Ride your first bike for a year. Gain experience and show the GF/wife you are responsible. Take a riding course. Wear protective gear. Don't join a maniac SS rampage down the 401 in Brampton, taunting police with wheelies. You can then sell a beginner bike for what you paid and get whatever bike you wish. Of course there's nothing wrong with staying with a smaller bike, nothing at all, but you'll know better with a year's experience.

I just purchased a Honda CBR500RA (2014). I'm 26, and living in the Durham region. Dalton Timmis insured me for around $1,600.00

Congrats on the kid, and goodluck with your wife.

Back
Top Bottom