M2 to M Question | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 to M Question

I just went last month and did my M course.... I only did the course out of convenience of timing.... They had a last second opening and the weather was great.....

Out of the 10 of us there, I was the only one there that was doing it after the required waiting period... everyone else had received the notice from the DMV that their M2 was about to expire.... I have to say, it was a little scary having to ride around on the streets with them... Most of them hadn't rode a bike since they got their M2...

I just went last month and did my M course.... I only did the course out of convenience of timing.... They had a last second opening and the weather was great.....

Out of the 10 of us there, I was the only one there that was doing it after the required waiting period... everyone else had received the notice from the DMV that their M2 was about to expire.... I have to say, it was a little scary having to ride around on the streets with them... Most of them hadn't rode a bike since they got their M2...

All too common. I wish there was a way of "logging" saddle time, rather than just using elapsed time.

My wife got her M this week with no course, and she rarely rides. My advice: make sure you visibly brake when you're required to, move your head exaggeratedly so they can see you looking the appropriate ways, ensure that you use the appropriate block position in lanes, and make sure that when they call for an emergency stop, you move off the bike; to the curb. Everything else, do like you'd do in a car (give or take).

My wife got her M this week with no course, and she rarely rides. My advice: make sure you visibly brake when you're required to, move your head exaggeratedly so they can see you looking the appropriate ways, ensure that you use the appropriate block position in lanes, and make sure that when they call for an emergency stop, you move off the bike; to the curb. Everything else, do like you'd do in a car (give or take).

I'll just clarify that the "visibly brake" means "show your brake light". If you are slowing down by downshifting or just rolling of the throttle, you should apply one of the brakes (better usually to use the back) just enough to make the light come on. In short, you're not expected to use your brakes if you don't need them, you're expected to show the brake light whenever you're slowing down. Subtle, but important distinction. And Shaman, congratulations to your wife.

Well that's just it, if you've got a bike and are riding, then the 4mos delay means nothing. If somebody picks up a quickie weekend M2 and tools around a bike for two or three months, I don't really want them 10yrs from now getting the bug and jumping on anything saying "Hey I've got my bike license!"

Kinda the reason the M2 exists in the first place.

You do have to supply your own bike, do you not? And if that the case, why would the others buy a bike, and not ride it since they got their M2 (5 years)?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

When you say, "Pick up your license officially" it sounds like you think that just because you passed the course and have paperwork to prove it, you now have a full M.

You do not.

You still have the mandatory waiting period. If you get caught with alcohol while riding, you lose your license like an M2 rider would.

Is the waiting period to do the M2 exit test 22 months from the date you received your M1 or M2?

Can you take the M2 exit course and test before the 22 (or 18 with course) months is up, then go to the ministry later and pick up your license officially?

^^ I did this for my M1-M2.

Thanks.

When you say, "Pick up your license officially" it sounds like you think that just because you passed the course and have paperwork to prove it, you now have a full M.

You do not.

You still have the mandatory waiting period. If you get caught with alcohol while riding, you lose your license like an M2 rider would.
I understand that. That's what I was trying to get across in the question: can I take the course including test before the waiting period is up, then once the waiting period is up, go to the ministry and get issued my license?

This is possible for the M1 to M2 course + test.

I understand that. That's what I was trying to get across in the question: can I take the course including test before the waiting period is up, then once the waiting period is up, go to the ministry and get issued my license?

Yes. Absolutely. *That's why one takes the course? I would think.

Forget about all these guys asking why you are in a hurry. Get your M as ASAP.

I fast-tracked my full M and got it in the minimum amount of time allowed. Wanted a full license that is good for life, plus I was also looking to replace my 250, and most larger bikes required a full M for demo days.

Also something else I didn't read until later...your license is allowed to build up demerit points up to the lowest class you hold. So if you have a GM2, then you can only get as many points as either a G2 or M2 before it is suspended or cancelled. Hopefully this doesn't matter to 90% of people here, but it is one other reason to just get your M over and done with.

Forget about all these guys asking why you are in a hurry. Get your M as ASAP.
Agreed.
The reason I asked such a question is because 18 months after I received my M2 will take me into Winter next year.
I was hoping to do the course and test in the fall next year then go to the ministry to have my M issued when the 18 month waiting period is up, which would be late December/early January.

Best check with the ministry...I know that is how it works going M1 to M2...but I think for full M the test date needs to be after the minimum number of months for full M.

The reason people do the full M as a course is both as a refresher, and because technically it is a slightly easier pass since you aren't dealing with MTO quotas, or a tester who doesn't ride themselves (and has no clue bikes lean over in turns).

I fast-tracked my full M and got it in the minimum amount of time allowed. Wanted a full license that is good for life, plus I was also looking to replace my 250, and most larger bikes required a full M for demo days.

Also something else I didn't read until later...your license is allowed to build up demerit points up to the lowest class you hold. So if you have a GM2, then you can only get as many points as either a G2 or M2 before it is suspended or cancelled. Hopefully this doesn't matter to 90% of people here, but it is one other reason to just get your M over and done with.
Thanks for this Intel.

Absolutely. Some people believe, if they get tickets on the motorcycle, their car license is still free from charges. LOL

It is NOT possible.
An M1 holder is permitted to take an approved course, including the exit test, prior to the expiration of the minimum 60 day period. The upgrade itself will not occur until the holder is eligible, i.e. until 60 day minimum has expired.
An M2 Exit test conducted before the M2 holder has met the eligibility requirements IS NOT VALID. The test must be conducted after the minimum (18 or 22 months) has elapsed. If someone takes a course during that period, the test would be nothing but a practice. In fact, the school shouldn't be doing it. We have a waiver specifically covering that topic - since we can't tell when an M2 was issued, the student has to certify they have had it for the minimum. If they make a mistake, or deliberately mislead us, we could end up teaching and testing them...but Driver Certification System will not accept the change.

Back
Top Bottom