M2 to M Question | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2 to M Question

ay33

Is the waiting period to do the M2 exit test 22 months from the date you received your M1 or M2?

Can you take the M2 exit course and test before the 22 (or 18 with course) months is up, then go to the ministry later and pick up your license officially?

^^ I did this for my M1-M2.

Thanks.

Is the waiting period to do the M2 exit test 22 months from the date you received your M1 or M2?

Can you take the M2 exit course and test before the 22 (or 18 with course) months is up, then go to the ministry later and pick up your license officially?

^^ I did this for my M1-M2.

Thanks.

No you cannot.

Why do you need M anyway? The insurance co's look at the years you've been insured (and at the convictions, if any) .

Right. And M is permanent for life. Never have to set your foot into DMV.

Never have to redo the test to get your M2.

And although I've never partaken, you could potentially have one beer.

If you take a ministry approved M2 , you can do your exit M in 18 months without coarse then 22 months. Makes no sense for the extra time.

If you take a ministry approved M2 , you can do your exit M in 18 months without coarse then 22 months. Makes no sense for the extra time.

It provides an incentive to take a course, or simply provides a reduction in the experience required (4 months of riding) because of the focused practice of a course)

It provides an incentive to take a course, or simply provides a reduction in the experience required (4 months of riding) because of the focused practice of a course)

Something like 14-16 months would be more practical.

Many people have the time come up during the winter, if they take the course late spring or summer.

Something like 14-16 months would be more practical.

Many people have the time come up during the winter, if they take the course late spring or summer.

I think that's one of the reasons it's longer, actually. The rider could get 2 "seasons", but with a course it could be shortened to one.

Not an exact science, and it's a less than perfect system, but the concept is that riders gain experience under certain conditions. On the M1 it's thwarted by people getting the M1 early, then taking the course after the 60th day, never spending any time riding on the restrictions but simply taking the course and getting their M2 a few days later. If there were more restrictions on the M2, it may be more useful.

I think that's one of the reasons it's longer, actually. The rider could get 2 "seasons", but with a course it could be shortened to one. Not an exact science, and it's a less than perfect system, but the concept is that riders gain experience under certain conditions. On the M1 it's thwarted by people getting the M1 early, then taking the course after the 60th day, never spending any time riding on the restrictions but simply taking the course and getting their M2 a few days later. If there were more restrictions on the M2, it may be more useful.
I thought that it was thwarted by many insurance companies requiring an M2. If you can't get insured with an M1, then the 60 day wait makes no sense.

What's the rush to get a full M?

I am curious to hear from the guys who've ridden in Europe on an M2, any problems with your international permit being accepted? That's the only reason I can think of for rushing to get your full M. Besides impatience.

As Ontario bureaucratic nonsense goes, the 4 months difference is at the bottom of the give a hoot pile.

Look at the number of threads where people regret "accidentally" letting their M2 lapse. I got my M mere days after I was eligible for it, just to be done with it. Two guys I did my M1 Exit with were like "pffft, I got three more years". I guarantee you that at least one of them will eff himself over.

People actually use "pffft" offline? Does it sound the way it's spelled?

I am curious to hear from the guys who've ridden in Europe on an M2, any problems with your international permit being accepted? That's the only reason I can think of for rushing to get your full M. Besides impatience.

As Ontario bureaucratic nonsense goes, the 4 months difference is at the bottom of the give a hoot pile.
Except for the people that are impatient or in a rush - and they're forced to wait.
That's why I suggested the system could be even better if there were more restrictions on an M2. I'm not specifically advocating this, only providing it as an example. If, for example, it was accepted that gaining experience on a lower horsepower machine first was beneficial to rider development and more importantly, rider safety - then such a condition could be added.

Why do you need M anyway? The insurance co's look at the years you've been insured (and at the convictions, if any) .

I got a quote of 1300 bucks on a ZX6 because I've had my M over 4 years which was a requirement for that company. Prior to that the best quote I was looking at was $1000 more which I still thought was reasonable. So it literally pays to get your M asap.

Back
Top Bottom