200 a month !!! Really? | GTAMotorcycle.com

200 a month !!! Really?

gcrouse

Just read this and find it unfathomable that people are that broke. Just curious how many would fall into this category. I bought the ex out 2 years ago, am on disability pension and still with a mortgage can stiff afford to live, but I do live within my means, and dont go without the necessities. No i may not to be able to afford to insure my bike next year but i do what is necessary to make ends meet. Lets hear from the gtam crowd on this one.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/09/28/canadian-debt-levels_n_12235290.html

Some of us live well below our means and sock some away for the future. Been doing that as long as I've been working.

Nothing shocking here actually. Credit is cheap, people are stupid and the combination makes for an interesting result.

i WANTED a BMW and a nice detached house in Toronto....but I can AFFORD a Civic and a small townhouse in Mississauga. We bought a house that we can carry on one salary (in a 2 income home) because **** happens and I'd prefer to be able to sleep at night. Putting as much as I can away and now with a baby on the way we can kiss one income goodbye....but we prepared for it.

Nothing shocking here actually. Credit is cheap, people are stupid and the combination makes for an interesting result.

Don't even blame it on outright stupidity of our citizens; the banks are taking FULL advantage of anyone who isn't well read on interest rates and our economy in general; my wife and I have been approved for mortgages and loans almost DOUBLE what we are borrowing now, and we're barely comfortable with what we're spending.

We're in the same boat as you though; would love that detached home, and luxury car(s), but it just ain't gonna happen. for now.

Don't even blame it on outright stupidity of our citizens; the banks are taking FULL advantage of anyone who isn't well read on interest rates and our economy in general.

ok maybe the word stupid is harsh....how about naive? The bank isn't forcing you to take the money...here is a transcript of my loan meeting...

Bank: Congratulations you're approved for 600k!
Me: that's great, but that's too tight and we don't want to go over 450.
Bank: Why do that? You have 600k available! Buy the biggest you can afford and make more money when you sell!
Me: I'm ok with 450
Bank: but we can get you closer to 600....maybe 650 after you buy and commit!
Me: no thanks. What's your commission on the loan.
Bank: 0.5% per 100k loaned. Why do you ask?

Bought a a place for 420.
Anyway people just need to inform themselves because if they don't, no one will. To me going in blind on such a purchase is just plain dumb.

Hey, the bank said you're richer than you think, so it must be true

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Some of us live well below our means and sock some away for the future. Been doing that as long as I've been working.

X2. A huge portion of the "we can barely make ends meet" people have either mistaken minimum wage jobs for careers, or are living beyond their means even if they are making decent money. Often both.

Like Krishan, we too were approved for WAY more than we ended up spending on our house - several hundred thousand more actually. Instead we bought a modest home that has since tripled in value and since we weren't living on the bleeding edge of affordability we were able to very aggressively pay off the mortgage, leading to the reality that we are going to be mortgage free in under two years, in our mid 40's.

Sure we've had our fair share of toys and such, motorcycles included, however that decision to live modestly when we were in our 20s is why we can afford that now whilst any others are now mortgage and financed up their *** and can barely afford their Hydro bills this summer, much less anything else.

And we do put some away every month into our RRSP's as well.

Last edited:
Didn't read the link, but by the replies I think I get the idea.
I'm always amazed at work when I see people start making a little money, then come in with a 40 or 50k car. Wtf? And the latest cell phone + the $150/month bill to go with it. And overtime? No thanks, I have things to do.....but houses are so expensive for the double car garage detached home with the big lot that I WANT! ?
When the kids at work come to me for advice, I give it to them. Save your way to being wealthy. Pay off your mortgage. Save for a rainy day. Spend less than you make. You can have anything you want, just not everything that you want. Ezpz.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

I didn't read the link, heck I hardly read a reply. Osmosis tells me all I need to know about this raging thread. Live inside your head. Laugh at people on the treadmill.

Lots of people are living within their means. But thats it, $200 more would sink them. Rents are expensive, and food, and HYDRO...if you just left Uni and arent going into finance you may start at the bottom. Whether or not you choose to live like your better off friends and party hard is the determining factor on staying near the bottom.

Yes there are lots of wankers with 3200sqft , two high end cars, and great tans having it all. There are also thousands of Canadians that are single and paying rent, and food bills, and Lord help them if there are kids that are just getting by. A homeowners line of credit is a fantasy to them.

ok maybe the word stupid is harsh....how about naive? The bank isn't forcing you to take the money...here is a transcript of my loan meeting...

Bank: Congratulations you're approved for 600k!
Me: that's great, but that's too tight and we don't want to go over 450.
Bank: Why do that? You have 600k available! Buy the biggest you can afford and make more money when you sell!
Me: I'm ok with 450
Bank: but we can get you closer to 600....maybe 650 after you buy and commit!
Me: no thanks. What's your commission on the loan.
Bank: 0.5% per 100k loaned. Why do you ask?

Bought a a place for 420.
Anyway people just need to inform themselves because if they don't, no one will. To me going in blind on such a purchase is just plain dumb.

Problem with this logic is that the 600K house is worth 800K and your 420K house is worth 500K in a few years (low interest rates are here to stay and so is the pace of housing prices).

I agree with living within your means, but money in the mattress is fools logic in a low interest rate scenario.

I gotta agree with the article. I was sort of in a similiar position last year. I had over spent in buying stuff on credit two years ago. While I was able to make payments at that time cost of living shot up sharply last year. I was borrowing money from lines of credit and parents at that point.

Good thing housing boomed. We sold our house and moved to a cheaper house. Commute is a bit further, but oh well ... I paid off $400k in debt :D only $650k more to go. I really like the idea of having debt as low as possible. My goal for 2017 is to knock off $80k from the debt pile... I doubt I'll make it but will try.

Problem with this logic is that the 600K house is worth 800K and your 420K house is worth 500K in a few years (low interest rates are here to stay and so is the pace of housing prices).

I agree with living within your means, but money in the mattress is fools logic in a low interest rate scenario.

So your recommendation is to go with the 600k house, live cheque to cheque and HOPE to hell that nothing goes sideways until the house is (hopefully) worth 800k...and then sell and easy money right?

I think it's this 'logic' that gets people in over their heads in the first place. Real estate is touted as the ONLY way to riches for the working class in today's economy.

So your recommendation is to go with the 600k house, live cheque to cheque and HOPE to hell that nothing goes sideways until the house is (hopefully) worth 800k...and then sell and easy money right?

I think it's this 'logic' that gets people in over their heads in the first place. Real estate is touted as the ONLY way to riches for the working class in today's economy.
Bank isn't going to lend you 600k if it means you're living check to check.

Usually it's no more than 3x of your gross. Now if you decide to buy a 600k house, plus a jet ski, BMW, motorcycle, 2x Canada goose jacket, eat out every night all on credit, then you have a problem... and the house isn't it.

Usually it's no more than 3x of your gross. Now if you decide to buy a 600k house, plus a jet ski, BMW, motorcycle, 2x Canada goose jacket, eat out every night all on credit, then you have a problem... and the house isn't it.

This I agree with 100%. I'm of the mindset to pay off the debts ASAP but still need to get smarter on investing for retirement...whole diff issue though.

If you're getting a mortgage then you're not living within your means. The questions are: How much risk are you willing to take, and how quickly are you going to mitigate that risk?

If you're getting a mortgage then you're not living within your means

Kindly explain.

It's entirely possible to have a mortgage and be well within your means....as has been mentioned a few times, just don't feel the need to max out the amounts the banks are willing to give, which is the mistake that many people make...which often quickly spirals into the living beyond your means when the aforementioned jet ski, BMW, motorcycle, 2x Canada goose jacket, eat out every night all on credit comes into play. If you buy more modestly and have a decent middle class income you CAN still have toys however. The classic "house rich, cash poor" scenario is one a lot of people are into, yet they just spend the cash anyways...and the problems begin.

Hard to believe,I thought people where smarter .

I find a lot of times it's not people's fault. Even if you have a buffer for safety if **** hits the fan and everything goes south no matter how much you prepare you will end up in a bad spot.

I find a lot of times it's not people's fault. Even if you have a buffer for safety if **** hits the fan and everything goes south no matter how much you prepare you will end up in a bad spot.

Bah, I don't buy that - the buffer is not big enough if that's the case.

4 weeks before we closed on our house I lost my job for medical reasons. Long story, but we still closed the house and we still made it work for the first year even though we were tight..but we made it.

What we did was adjust - first, one of the cars came off the road immediately- needless to say that was a big saving. The cellphones went out the window, we cancelled our satellite TV, dropped the home phoneline to the absolute basic level of service we could get whilst still having a dialtone, went to dialup internet (gasp!), we didn't eat out for a year, we had no toys at the time, we skimped on electricity (I think we only had the central air on a few times the entire summer) and of course the kids came out of daycare and I played Mr. Mom. Lastly, we reamortized the mortgage from a 15 year term (again, aggressive was our plan, something we returned to) to a 25 year term which instantly lowered our payments a signifigant amount.

And we made do until I was able to return to work. Having bought a reasonable house, again, certainly made that possible - had we indulged in the entire amount the bank was willing to give us things would have been far less comfortable. THAT'S the trap people fall into now as several here have touched on including myself.

And we come full circle to getting in over ones head being a big part of the problem, or being unwilling to adjust and compromise because that would make life uncomfortable and some of the comforts of the life they have become accustomed to would have to go.

Now, I will say that as I mentioned earlier...if we are talking a household with 2 minimum wage earners, the picture is different....but as I also mentioned, I tend not to have much understanding for people who made little or zero effort to better themselves in their school age years (including post secondary) in order to achieve a higher paying job, opting to plan on their minimum wage earning "careers" to carry them through life.

Minimum wage jobs are stepping stones, not careers. When people earning $11/Hour complain about not being able to afford rent (much less a house), electricity blah blah blah...sorry, not much sympathy here.

Back
Top Bottom