Ducati Monster buying advice | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ducati Monster buying advice

Same here, seems like the tensioners are a common problem. Otherwise, problem free with routine, regular maintenance items mentioned before (tires; chain & sprockets; oil; battery; valve adjustments every 12K).

Chris, has the 796 had the fuel tank replaced/upgraded? The plastic tanks are known to swell due to Ethanol fuel usage. The wife’s 2011 796 has this problem as well as having had bad front rotors. They warped with less than 6k on the bike and she is a grandmother, NOT a performance rider nor does she brake hard. In fact she’s just the opposite.
You should check out some of the Monster forums like http://www.ducatimonster.org/
Enjoy your new ride and remember, ATGATT.

Chris, has the 796 had the fuel tank replaced/upgraded? The plastic tanks are known to swell due to Ethanol fuel usage. The wife’s 2011 796 has this problem as well as having had bad front rotors. They warped with less than 6k on the bike and she is a grandmother, NOT a performance rider nor does she brake hard. In fact she’s just the opposite.
You should check out some of the Monster forums like http://www.ducatimonster.org/
Enjoy your new ride and remember, ATGATT.

Checked out that forum, thanks! Sounds like the gas tank swell is a big issue. Just took off the fairing and had a close look at mine, looks good though. The brake rotors seem fine also for the time being.
To prevent the gas tank swell, I'm guessing it's best to stick with ethanol-free gas (such as Shell V-power).

Last edited:
Checked out that forum, thanks! Sounds like the gas tank swell is a big issue. Just took off the fairing and had a close look at mine, looks good though. The brake rotors seem fine also for the time being.
To prevent the gas tank swell, I'm guessing it's best to stick with ethanol-free gas (such as Shell V-power).

Yes, use ethanol free gas. Also have your local Ducati Dealer run the VIN to see what service/warranty work has been done. Your bike may have had the tank changed already. Draining the tank and stuffing cheese cloth in the open filler over the winter seems to help "dry out" water logged tanks.

Back
Top Bottom