Bike purchase advice? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike purchase advice?

A high-end Japanese bike like the latest R1 costs half that!

I priced out a new R1 at around 22K after freight and shipping when I did a bit of research on racing (before taxes). I paid less for my RSV4 RF. Tried to support local business, but well... with the things I've observed at the track this year etc. I went with the bike I wanted anyway and it made financial sense, too.

Haven't priced out a Pani R but one of my acquaintances bought one last year for $38K - USD. Not sure if that was before or after taxes but taxes are different in the US anyway. Definitely not a cheap bike. For road purposes, the 1299 is likely a better bike, anyway, if you're sticking with Ducati, and they're what, $28K for the S model? Something like that I think. I like my friend's 1199 but I don't think I'd want to own it... the 1299 is apparently another story, haven't had the pleasure of riding one yet.

That's fair.

And seriously a high-end bike only costs one $35K-$40K? The audi I drove costs more than that. Wow...

You want to know something else? The average person can't tell the difference between a Panigale 959 and a Panigale 1198 R. Many people wouldn't notice a difference between an 848 EVO and either of those. I used to own a Triumph T595, and some people thought that was a Ducati. Also, "High-end" is a little different with motorcycles. If I look at a 1000cc superbike from any manufacturer on the market right now, they are all fast. Really fast. Some are marginally faster than others. Many of them have the same features - traction control and ABS, which are both somewhat recent developments on sportbikes are on just about all of them now.

What it comes down is this - a lot of people that would be impressed by an 1198 R would be equally impressed by a $4000 GSX-R600. And the only people who would appreciate the difference between an 1198 and an 1198 R will be laughing at someone who bought it only for the street and has done very little riding. And they will know those things whether they are said or not.

Last edited:
Pretty true.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I rode a 959 and thought it would make for a pretty horrible street-riding experience. The heat coming from the rear header is a bit much. I assume that the 1299 isn't any better in that dept.

Hah! The Panigale is hotter than a hot thing. Newer ones are better. The originals were totally ridiculous, I have no idea how they got past any kind of quality-control regimen.

A pittance too, found one for under $5K!

For a lot of members here (actually a lot of people EVERYWHERE), $5k is a substantial amount of money.
To describe $5k as a 'pittance' makes you look like a d-bag.

And:

"Regular bikes don't get the attention this bike gets, when riding it. Why so much stare, even while riding properly? Is it the sound? I find it discomforting with so many ppl staring."
....You're riding a flashy, loud, exotic motorcycle. The question answers itself.

And:

"What are my chances of surviving a crash on it?"
....Really??

You claim you're a newbie, and yet someone handed you the keys to a Panigale for a test ride?

Last edited:
What are your chances of survival crashing any bike? A ninja 250 top speed is 160km/hr can you survive that? These canned responses that people hear at tim hortons are getting old.

Seeing 5k as small change, doesn't make him a d-bag, just someone that has a different perspective in money.

When I came to Canada 20 years ago, $40 was a LOT of money for me, right now I just spent 280 for a rear slick that will last me one race and a few practice laps, so my point all has to be put in perspective.

He has a good point, to get the top of the line car you have to spend north of a million+, to buy the top of the line bike you only spend 30K+, so small change.

Last edited:
You claim you're a newbie, and yet someone handed you the keys to a Panigale for a test ride?

If it closed the sale on a $35K bike, maybe it makes sense. Plus, I could see a good salesperson making this seem like a reasonable purchasing decision

What are your chances of survival crashing any bike? A ninja 250 top speed is 160km/hr can you survive that? These canned responses that people hear at tim hortons are getting old.

Chances of survival of a crash are the same. Chances of actually crashing are not. Also, out of all the bikes mentioned in this thread, the 1198 R is objectively the worst for the street. It's not a better bike, it's a more focused bike. To realize any benefit from it, you are taking it to the track - even someone criminally insane will not go appreciably faster on the street with it (than plain Jane superbikes, anyway). And to take this bike to the track, while having no experience... let's say you track it for a whole year and you don't crash it. You're still gonna be in green group, and you're gonna be lapped by people on bikes that cost less than your year end service.

I mean, people who have money understand cost/benefit, right?

F

"What are my chances of surviving a crash on it?"

Chances of survival of a crash are the same. Chances of actually crashing are not.

That is not what he said.

Also, My opinion is that the chances of actually crashing on a high end sport bike are less, they have better brakes for any emergency situation, better suspension for any unsuspected bumps on the road, better electronics including Traction Control if it rains... etc.

The only situation when you are more at risk is if you have whisky throttle.

Now if you are a new rider and pretend to be Rossi, then yea sure you will get in trouble a lot faster with a top end bike.

I am not saying new riders should buy liter bikes before people jump on me, I am just offering a different perspective.

Last edited:

Seeing 5k as small change, doesn't make him a d-bag, just someone that has a different perspective in money.

When I came to Canada 20 years ago, $40 was a LOT of money for me, right now I just spent 280 for a rear slick that will last me one race and a few practice laps, so my point all has to be put in perspective.

He has a good point, to get the top of the line car you have to spend north of a million+, to buy the top of the line bike you only spend 30K+, so small change.

+1.

I mean, people who have money understand cost/benefit, right?
People who have money or people that make a lot of money?
Since the OP mentions they're most likely getting this as a gift come Christmas I'm leaning towards the latter.

To the OP, get whatever you want. You're going to anyway so all this discussion is moot. Happy trolling.

Not sure why ppl think I'm trolling. I'm actually taking proactive steps to educate myself before I start riding seriously. That's partially how I came upon this site. Sorry for calling $5K a pittance. It's not. It's a lot of money for a lot of ppl; no, I'm not one of them, but that doesn't make me a d-bag.

Thanks for your inputs though, much appreciated. :)

$5k may or may not be a lot to me either; it's nobody's business & I don't advertise my personal finances on a web forum.

But to call it a 'pittance' is belittling to the many people here who either work hard or save diligently to put that kind of money toward what is essentially an expensive hobby/passion.

Not sure why ppl think I'm trolling. I'm actually taking proactive steps to educate myself before I start riding seriously. That's partially how I came upon this site. Sorry for calling $5K a pittance. It's not. It's a lot of money for a lot of ppl; no, I'm not one of them, but that doesn't make me a d-bag.

Thanks for your inputs though, much appreciated. :)
Because your questions are hilarious and no one thinks anyone could be that naive. At this point i'm hoping you're trolling.

Do ppl actually race the Pani R here and other bikes similar to it?
If they do race them...then they should be #1 ALL the time ...amirite
Twice the price of the Japanese should be 2x better of a machine...right?

Worst part...watching ppl on high end bikes getting smoked by guys on a much cheaper bike....hmmm...maybe spend the money personal development first...to each their own...I admire ppl on a Ninja 250 dusting ppl on super sports (when the corners start).

Very few people will race a Pani R. Not only are they expensive to buy, they are expensive to race in all ways. They are highly stressed (with about 200whp using the termi pipes and race map) to put out their power level and all the various parts are expensive - nearly as expensive as teh SuperLeggerra showcase bike. Many of those things are designed with short lifetimes in the bike - engine components, brake pads, brake rotors, clutch components. It is even more of a racing bike for the road than the RSV4, and that's saying something since I am just putting rearsets, protection pieces and fairings on mine and calling it a day for RACE/CSBK.

OP, your new here so quick insight. Lots of people here are value oriented and a 35k bike is made of unobtainium. If you discuss things that are very expensive they will form a preconcieved notion about you. Its just the style in here.

35k is an expensive bike, 150k is a high end bike. And a well sorted R1 for 20k will eat them both. PaniR is very nice, care and feeding is also very spendy. Ask the dealer what the cost is if it falls over in the driveway and to make it all minty again with a dented tank, scratched cowling and broken lever, I'll guess about $3000.

I'm a big fan , just know why you see Ferrari , 8 yrs old with 6,000km . care and feeding...

Back
Top Bottom