Storing motorcycle for the season | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Storing motorcycle for the season

Thats what battery tenders are for. ;)

Original battery lasted five years in the bike. I want to try and do better with my Walmart special, by taking it out and putting it on a tender.

Last edited:
I wait to the last possible moment every year, and like clock work the bike is always caught out in a snow storm before I put it away in my home depot special shed. Last year I think I made it to Mid-January ( I was shopping on christmas eve with the bike)

Anything over 5C and Im willing to ride ( Im to cheap for heated gear).

But I can honestly say, Im not looking forward to the weather changing... and I have a grizzly feeling moto insurance rates going to pop off again like last February.

Original battery lasted five years in the bike. I want to try and do better with my Walmart special, by taking it out and putting it on a tender.

I tender right in the bike, seeing no reason to remove the battery myself. If a nice day pops up in the middle of the winter and I want to go for a scoot, disconnect 2 alligator clips, replace side cover, and go.

Typically, when I store it, I park it in the garage and I don't ride it.

Brilliant! ;)

Alright boys...it finally happened. I blew my engine less than 150 km's shy of 103,000 km. I was pushing it hard on the 407 and started losing power like it was turning off, dropped a gear came back to life for a few km's. Rode the 5 km's to the Keele exit and stopped at the Husky down the road. Took off my helmet and listened to it, it idled fine but had a tinny noise higher than 5k rpms thought maybe it was running on one cylinder. I said **** it, had to get to school for a test and jumped back on the hwy. Then it really started losing power, from 11k rpms to 8 where it was barely doing 105-110, dropped to about 7 and I was as slow as a turd in the right tire track of the right lane. Then it sounded super ****ed and power just cut out locking up the rear wheel. I ended up pushing it 2 km's on the highway exiting on Bathurst. Other than me being dumb and running out of gas its the only time the bike ever left me stranded...

I knew it was ****ed at that point, I had a feeling it was ready to go anytime now and any more riding I was getting out of it was just a bonus. Its had a long life with long hard rides always being redlined tailing super sports and larger bikes. It had been on many of 12 hr+ plus rides doing 800-1000km days on average sometimes more, consistently being ridden hard and it was my daily ride as well since 2009 now. It was time for it to go and it went out in good fashion just like I predicted; ripping it 140+ redlined on the hwy, I couldn't have asked for more from it. Oil level was still good, thought maybe it overheated but coolant looked good, the bottom end just gave out. I should probably have stopped at the Husky but like I said it was time for it to go so I didn't really give a **** and said let's see what happens....the picture pretty much shows what happened. I'm in the process of getting an engine transplant and I hope to have it back for the remainder of the season whereas many guys are getting ready to put their bikes away. Also looking for a SS over winter now, its time to take the load off her and ease her into retirement/secondary duties. It was a good run.

14470612_10154108790324403_7559153444339565905_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom