Storing motorcycle for the season | GTAMotorcycle.com

Storing motorcycle for the season

clyder

Just being curious. When are you guys (and gals) planning on storing your motorcycle for the season? Personally I was thinking mid-october. I remember last year we had warm and decent weather even in November (wasn't riding then) but not sure if we will have something similar this year.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

It comes down to a simple thing...what is your tolerance to cold.

Personally I can ride until early/mid November before I just say no more. I let the overnight temp decide in order to ensure that the tires still have some decent grip. I'm comfortable riding so long as overnight stays above 5C. Some people will go lower, some have already put their bikes away. I haven't ridden much this season so I'll be trying to extend it as long as possible...but I commute on it as well.

I let the weather decide for me.

x2. Why come up with an arbitrary date to put your bike "away" when the weather may still be totally rideable? I don't get that despite the fact a lot of people do so.

When I sense the date is close I'll start running no ethanol gas and probably dump in stabilizer at the same time so that when the time DOES arrive "winterizing" is basically parking the bike and plugging in the battery tender, done deal. That said, up until that moment..the date means nothing - the weather means everything.

I know a lot of guys who went through long and convoluted (and mostly unnecessary) winterization routines last October only to see me posting photos on FB all winter long enjoying my bike - the longest I didn't ride was 3 weeks in January.

Last edited:
I'm with the other guys, let the temp decide for me.

It was 4C this morning, which was about all I could take when I left for work. If it is above 0C when I leave for work, I'll probably take the bike, and anything below I'll drive in.

is it really necessary to "store" our bikes in the GTA? It's just 4-5 months. Take out the battery. Put in some Stabil. Fire it up and take it out for a spin in the winter if the weather is nice and the roads are dry.

Why even bother taking out the battery?

Was just saying to the wife today that I'll probably put mine away "early" this year as I just don't have it in me to bundle up like an Inuit to buzz around in 3- or 4oC air, gingerly over wet leaves and brined roads before the cold soaks through the layers. In the past I'd eagerly ride, even when temps were close to freezing, but this year I'm not feeling it.

I don't have any particular date in mind. I'll just know when it'll be time to top up the tank with E0 gas and Stabil and pull the cover over it. That will likely fall somewhere near the end of October.

Whenever the snow stays, then I rotate bike/snowblower from garage to shed, and vice versa.

My rule...only when I absolutely have to....typically I burn a number of tanks of gas with stabilizer before it is over for the season!

Last year on Christmas Eve, it was 22 degrees and I was riding.
The end of the riding season varies from year to year, so don't be too quick to put the bike away.
I say enough with the first significant snowfall. However, one eye is on the weather website as it may warm up again next week.
I put the stabilizer in the gas tank and attach the battery tender.
I store my bike in a heated garage (10 degrees C) so when I do the routine maintenance I don't freeze.
I will start it once per month and let it run for 20 minutes or so.

For me typically somewhere around the start of November to mid-November. Not much fun riding on days where the high is below 10c if you are lucky, plus I like to take the bike off the roads before the brine starts coming down, which seems to happen around that time. Typically also switch to Shell 91 around the end of October, and start carrying a small container filled with pre-measured stabilizer in my tailbag to dump in when the final tank/top-up comes.

As for the battery, I really think it depends on the bike. On my old CBR250RA, if I didn't ride it for 3 weeks it wouldn't turn over (and it was new with a new battery). My CBR650F can still fire up immediately after 4-6 weeks, but I'm not sure after that. Since I know the bike will be away at least December - March, I typically pull the battery when I completely 'give up' around December 1st, and put it back in when my fingers are crossed for decent weather at the end of March or start of April, depending on the year.

oh, finally getting the "when should I store my bike" posts. end of sept. not bad.

oh, finally getting the "when should I store my bike" posts. end of sept. not bad.

Careful...was going to bump the 'brine is down?' thread....but I think I'll leave that another month :p

I have heated gloves, jacket and socks so I ride until weather is just too nasty or when they start salting or put brine on the roads. Could be mid to end of Nov or early Dec. Also, bike is at cottage, but stored over winter in city so I have to be sure to be able to make that last run, don't want to get stranded in the wrong place.

On the Harley forums these threads started in early August. We're doing well here. :p

Seriously...103,000 km and still on the original battery after 7 years. Never taken out over winter or anything, still fires up first try Yuasa makes a great battery.

You're getting a lot of mileage out of you high mileage status. And your battery life is nothing to sneeze at. Respect.

Back
Top Bottom