Rider's training and M1- M2 question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider's training and M1- M2 question

zheka130

Guys,

perhaps this belongs in another section, and perhaps it isnt too interesting for most people, but I would appreciate some feedback on this:

The successful completion of a rider's training course does not automatically get you an M2 license as I was told. You still have to wait 60 days from the point of obtaining an M1.

Companies seem reluctant to insure a rider with an M1, is the issue an M1 with no rider's training or M1 in general, be it with or without training?

Thus, the ultimate question, if I pass the course, will I be able to get insurance the following day and start riding, or I will have to wait for 60 days to go by nonetheless?

Thanks!

I believe some insurance companies insure you as if you had your m2 as long as you have completed the course. I know a buddy of mine got his m1, completed the course within a week of getting it, and was insured with riders plus as if he had his m2. call around and see what companies say, but definitely riders plus

Riders plus will rate and insure you as an M2 even with an M1 so long as you have proof of the course having been completed.

That said, they may not be the cheapest, definitely call around...but not all insurers will do this.

In the end, if the ones that do end up being significantly more expensive vs a quote with another insurer that you'd have to wait the 90 days for, you'll have to ask yourself if it's a price you're willing to pay for riding the remainder of this season, which in reality is perhaps another 4-6 weeks before we've been told to anticipate snow. Less if the cold weather bothers you as it does many new riders. ;)

I was insured on my M1 provided I had proof of registration in an approved course. IIRC it also had to be completed within two months. And at a reasonable rate ($1300/yr) given my skill/experience level, which was practically nil. Mind you I'm also considered old and live outside toronto proper. Bike is a 2006 Harley Sportster 883. See Andy Singh in the insurance section. This was how I went through...

July 22 2016 - got M1
July 23 bought bike - I know bad idea but no regrets as I love the bike.
July 25 found Andy Singh and enrolled in m1 Exit Course
July 29 Bike plated, insured and delivered - on the road
August 20 passed M2 course
Sept 20 picked up GM2 temp license

So it is possible but your rates will depend on your age, where you live, driving history and most importantly, what type and displacement of bike you wish to insure.

Cheers,
EZTRGT
Kyle

Snow in November? Blasphemy!

I know...but I keep hearing we should be expecting such this year, possibly followed by a warmup again and some decent weather again through to January.

I'll be riding until the snow hits, lets put it that way, but I don't think we should be anticipating riding all winter like many of us did last year.

Thanks guys. Will call around.

Already got a quote from TD of around $600/year, assuming I have an M2.
My incorrect assumption was that upon successful completion of the course, I would get an M2 right then and there.

Thanks guys. Will call around. Already got a quote from TD of around $600/year, assuming I have an M2. My incorrect assumption was that upon successful completion of the course, I would get an M2 right then and there.

You just have to add in the 60-90 days from when you complete the M1 written test, and you are correct.
Since I wrote my M1 in the Winter, the 60 days was up when I completed the course, and I got my license the next day.
Now, with the results submitted electronically, it might take until the Tuesday for them to be put into the system.

Not many mountains near Toronto. Some hills.
You'd have to go towards Quebec to get higher elevations.
But there are lots of lakes and rivers.

I would ride when it's above 4 degrees, with a high of 10, and no salt on the ground.
Your choice of when to ride might vary, especially with distance.

Last edited:
You don't have to wait 60 days from completion of the rider training course you have to wait 60 days from the time you obtained your M1

example. June 1 you obtain your M1 July 15 you complete your rider training course. You have held your M1 for 45 days when you completed rider training. You have to wait 15 more days until you are issued your M2.

Now if you obtained your M1 just before your rider training course lets say 10 days before you took the course then you have to wait 50 more days before your M2 will be issued.

You don't have to wait 60 days from completion of the rider training course you have to wait 60 days from the time you obtained your M1

example. June 1 you obtain your M1 July 15 you complete your rider training course. You have held your M1 for 45 days when you completed rider training. You have to wait 15 more days until you are issued your M2.

Now if you obtained your M1 just before your rider training course lets say 10 days before you took the course then you have to wait 50 more days before your M2 will be issued.

Got it, thanks.
Will call TD Monday morning nonetheless, assuming I pass the course. :)

Guys, whats the deal with training on a rainy weekend? They seem to not postpone/reschedule this. Anyone have experience with rainy rider's training days?
Got mine this weekend :(

They run rain or shine. The only time you are taken off the lot is if there is lightning. You will get wet, wear rain suit, bring extra clothes and dress warm.

We all ride in the rain at some point so you get to experience it right away. There is nothing performed at rider training that can't be done in the rain.

I was an instructor for 16 years and never had a weekend cancelled because of rain. The instructors hate it only because it is not fun standing on a parking lot all day in the rain.

Guys, whats the deal with training on a rainy weekend? They seem to not postpone/reschedule this. Anyone have experience with rainy rider's training days? Got mine this weekend :(
Yes. The course runs rain or shine. Sometimes with light snow. I've heard a rumour of a course being cancelled because the ice was too thick, but have never verified it. Bring a rain jacket and pants. It's all through the course literature, although some people still go unprepared, expecting it to be cancelled. Nothing better than learning to ride in the rain on the course. Most would rather not do the test in the rain though.

I had no problems getting insurance with State Farm having only my M1. But that was before Desjardins took over.

Thanks. Going to CT to get my rain poncho
Watch that it doesn't hang low enough to get caught in the moving parts.

Seen a few people wearing garbage bags this year.

I would think that the issues for instructors would be wet paperwork,
and people slowing down too much on the evaluation.

Back
Top Bottom