Adam ruins everything glasses conspiracy video | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adam ruins everything glasses conspiracy video

Baggsy

Site Supporter
[video=youtube;CAeHuDcy_bY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAeHuDcy_bY[/video]

he's usually got good vids.

Thanks for sharing.

This blatant takeover of the market for prescription and non-prescription glasses has been going on for two decades. (and documentend for at least the last 5 - 60 minutes even did a piece on it)

Best part is that no one can do a damn thing about it, and TBH there isn't anything "wrong" with it - they're just doing what anyone else would do in their position.

seems to be business 101...smart business...morals and business tend to not allows allign
where does all those ugly and old frames go?

Used to spend TONS of cash on glasses every couple of years...then found out about Clearly Contacts and never looked back. If sizing / view isn't what I'm expecting just call them up and return free of charge...I'm happy with the arrangement.

As for this video, didn't know that and found it interesting. But as -D- says...it's simple business 101.

Sure but monopolies are usually reserved for government or highly regulated businesses.

Should glasses manufacturing become highly regulated?

Sure but monopolies are usually reserved for government or highly regulated businesses.

Should glasses manufacturing become highly regulated?

it's a commodity.
have you looked at diamonds?
how about the move to jack the prices on drugs ppl need such as epi pens?

ppl want vanity and follow the hip trends of 20 pairs of glasses per year...uhm the dumb dumb's didn't stop to think who profits from this...just go buy some decent $100 pair of glasses and stick with it...but hey, logic is out the window...it's all about FEELINGS ...I feel those glasses look dumb on you...remember the fad of wearing glasses with NO lenses...lol

I wear glasses, I cant get glasses for $100. I could care less who profits from my purchase, but I cant find glasses to fit my Px anywhere under $300.

I'm open to options if anybody has one.

you mean like the LCBO?

No, The LCBO is a government-instituted monopoly, designed to "protect us" because we'd all be drunkards if we could by 6-packs at the grocery store :rolleyes:

it's a commodity.
have you looked at diamonds?
how about the move to jack the prices on drugs ppl need such as epi pens?

ppl want vanity and follow the hip trends of 20 pairs of glasses per year...uhm the dumb dumb's didn't stop to think who profits from this...just go buy some decent $100 pair of glasses and stick with it...but hey, logic is out the window...it's all about FEELINGS ...I feel those glasses look dumb on you...remember the fad of wearing glasses with NO lenses...lol

This is a pretty angry response from someone who probably doesn't wear glasses. What difference does it make who profits from them? Is Luxxotica funding a war we're not aware of?

Glasses are more than just a commodity, because people need them to see :violent1:

When glasses companies were mostly independent, you had expensive manufacturers and cheap manufacturers: just like any other consumer product (like Helmets, for example); expensive brands had nicer hinges, more current/stylish designs, lighter frames, key features (like proprietary lens colours, etc.). Cheaper frames were less stylish, and definitely less comfortable (you get what you pay for).

Luxxotica, I believe started as a budget-brand, and they just slowly bought-up a lot of the component manufacturers (injection-moulding machine shops, fine metal-working shops for making brackets, hinges, etc.), and they gained a LOT of business selling components to the more expensive brands. Rather than keep those brands as clients, they decided to buy them out, to make even more $$. Nowadays fashion companies that use Luxxotica simply create their own designs, then submit them to Luxxotica (with an exclusive manufacturing deal, I imagine) and all the manufacturing is done by them.

Its good business. It sucks that they marked stuff up, but whatryagonnado?!

Everyone wants companies to make decisions based on morality, but we also want all of our investments to be as profitable as possible. How many examples do you people need to finally understand that the more moral or ethical way of doing business is 99% of the time NOT the most profitable way? We blame businesses for being "evil" but all they're doing is trying to keep their investors happy, and they're investors are us.

The days of 2 pairs for $30 from King Optical are over.
Since insurance companies started contributing towards the cost, that extra money has been priced in.

I'd simply reuse my 25 year old frames which were much better built back then, but the lenses are $400 or more.
We need some less expensive glass cutters to fill the vacuum and not get bought out.

Tell me why someone needs $500+ frames (says Prada/Fendi etc...)?
I get that you want to wear something stylish but let's be real and just say that because there are $100 frames that will suit most needs...just saying.

Luxotica is smart and they created a market based on wants, not needs.

On another note, I am trying to figure out how they are making money if they are the #2 insurance company...meaning it sounds like some Enron accounting going on.

There are lots of $100.00 frames. The lens to go in them when you wear progressives are $300.00
I could wear eye glasses with no lens but it wouldn't help me get to work and back.

Now if I could look at the cost of glasses when I'm in a third world country that could be interesting. I never thought to look. I cant imagine they pay $450 for eye wear when the annual income is 12,000k

There are lots of $100.00 frames. The lens to go in them when you wear progressives are $300.00
I could wear eye glasses with no lens but it wouldn't help me get to work and back.

Now if I could look at the cost of glasses when I'm in a third world country that could be interesting. I never thought to look. I cant imagine they pay $450 for eye wear when the annual income is 12,000k

check eyewear emporium (Kennedy Rd)

@crankcall - try clearly contacts. Depending on style and lenses you can get the frames for less than $100 for sure, but the lenses is where the price goes up. I've bought glasses from there starting at $50 for frames and up to $150 just for the frames. Considering my insurance only pays out $250/2 years then I'm not willing to fork out another $200-300 for that privilege. One time I bought a pair that I didn't like...call them up and send back with full refund no questions asked. I've also purchased my prescription glasses there, contact lenses, and same for my wife, MIL, and some friends do the same. They may not be as stylish as some brick and mortar stores, but for our needs they are more than enough.

Last edited:
I wear glasses, I cant get glasses for $100. I could care less who profits from my purchase, but I cant find glasses to fit my Px anywhere under $300.

I'm open to options if anybody has one.
Costco.
My Rx with frames usually comes in ~$400. Frames ~$120

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Also wonder what @LoneRonin has to say on this matter. Iirc his family is in this biz.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom